Speculation: More Players who need to be protected in an expansion draft.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Maybe i'm wrong, I thought a player that's still on their ELC contract is exempt from the expansion draft I know AA because he's a pending RFA in 2017 so Detroit would need to protect him and Mantha and Larkin still have 2 more years on their ELCs maybe i'm looking at it wrong.

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010
Vegas paid how much to get into the league? I think they deserve at least a half decent player from each team then. So the expansion rules seem fair to me.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Maybe i'm wrong, I thought a player that's still on their ELC contract is exempt from the expansion draft I know AA because he's a pending RFA in 2017 so Detroit would need to protect him and Mantha and Larkin still have 2 more years on their ELCs maybe i'm looking at it wrong.

No, second year pros are exempt, but third year pros are not. Players on ELC are not exempt.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
why? Panarin is exempt.

But now Hartman is not. The Hawks had a pretty easy choice before--they would probably go the 8 skaters route and protect their choice of TVR or Pokka in addition to the 7 NMCs. The only decent forward prospect they stood a chance of losing then was McNeill, who they don't seem particularly attached to. However, they seem to be rather fond of Hartman. This could force the Hawks into a 7+3 protection.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
There are a few players who have birthdays from September 15-December 31 who for ELC purposes were considered an 18 year old when they signed. It was previously thought that signing age would be taken instead of their actual age. However, they played in the AHL at the actual age of 20. It now appears these players will be "3rd year pros" for the expansion draft but still on their ELC. Mantha is part of this group.

Mad Brills*

Thanks for the clarification, I thought Cap Friendly said that Mantha was exempt from the expansion draft maybe not.

Mantha vs Eichel basically

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I find it too overwhelming to figure out all the expansion rules haha... overwhelming and laziness I guess... I'll just wait till expansion draft to happen

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016
Mantha will definitely be protected or traded at that point. They aren't losing him for zilch

Edit, corrected spelling

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
There are a few players who have birthdays from September 15-December 31 who for ELC purposes were considered an 18 year old when they signed. It was previously thought that signing age would be taken instead of their actual age. However, they played in the AHL at the actual age of 20. It now appears these players will be "3rd year pros" for the expansion draft but still on their ELC. Mantha is part of this group.

It might not be strictly limited to AHL games. Players can receive salary (max $10.5k) on their SPC for playing in major juniors. The definitions of Professional Game in the CBA don't exclude major juniors.

Interested in seeing more clarification whether guys like Blandisi are exempt or not.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Yeah i think this clarification part on Mantha is what was getting us Wing fans confused on how it worked with Mantha but now we all know that he needs to be protected.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Link to the page for those who can't see embedded tweets.

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

A professional season may still count for a player in a season where his contract slides. This is because the slide rule calculates age based on the player's age on September 15. So a player who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 could have his contract slide because he does not play 10+ NHL games. However, if that player plays 1+ professional game in that season, for expansion purposes his age is considered to be 20 and the season counts as a professional season. As a result of this distinction, the following players previously believed to be expansion exempt will need to be protected or otherwise will be eligible to be drafted by Las Vegas:

William Carrier (BUF)
Emile Poirier (CGY)
Hunter Shinkaruk (CGY)
Ryan Hartman (CHI)
Anthony Mantha (DET)
Jonathan-Ismael Diaby (NSH)
Ryan Pulock (NYI)
Kerby Rychel (TOR)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Finally we get clarification on these players who played in the AHL at 20 but had their ELC slide.

I think this is the last group of players there was still confusion about, we have clarification on everyone now I think.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Holy god, Pulock is a painful one for the Isles. Five defensemen who all need protection now...

Is it one of Pulock or Strome now, Isles fans?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Holy god, Pulock is a painful one for the Isles. Five defensemen who all need protection now...

Is it one of Pulock or Strome now, Isles fans?

They could protect all 5 D, along with Tavares, Ladd, and Strome.

That would leave Nelson available. Depends on who they'd rather lose. Nelson, Strome, or 1 of the defenceman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad