HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Draft (#3, #35, #38, #56, #62, #66, #97, #102, #122 & #128)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Hope MON gets to pick Calen Addison with one of its 2nd round picks. Certainly wouldn't trade up for him, but I would to pick McIsaac. So, to me, that's three 2nd rounders (likely our 35th, 38th and 59th) to get McIsaac and Addison on D. That's two Ds with attainable top-4 upside (and likely top-2 upside at best for McIssac). If we're really lucky, for some reason, Miller really slips and we nab him too in the 2nd round.

Hopefully, trading Pacioretty enables us to get a high enough draft pick and immediate help on the left side for our D. With that pick, we'd be able to pick Zadina at 3rd and Veleno as a C prospect that definitely has potential to become a strong, two-way, 2nd line C and a puck distributor on the PP. Some say he has the potential to be a Nugent-Hopkins type C and I say, only faster.

Veleno is an elite skater with strong puck-distribution abilities who isn't afraid of initiating contact either. I dont think that Kotkaniemi has an elite skill and Hayton has concerns over his skating.

Veleno would be my choice at C with a 10 - 15 first round pick if he is still on the board.

Woof... This is not good.

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
Why is everyone in a rush to draft a C this year? You don’t think the habs are drafting top 5 next year or the year after? Just draft the BPA this year then draft the C next year or the year later. There is no rush to get that C, habs are so far away from contending that they can wait to get their C.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
agreed, habs need to dump as many vets as possible for picks and prospects. Scorched earth! only vets i'd keep would be 25 and under. with that said, galchenyuk is wasted...so i'd dump him too. it pains me to see him getting treated so poorly. if any team can take trash like alzner and shaw for ANYTHING i'd be ecstatic. But considering these are bargainbin signings, he probably believes in these two garbage players.

Reactions: CapSpace

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The next CBA fight I believe is 2020-2021 so you know there will be two compulsory buyouts for then. If Price is washed up, they can wash their hands of him pretty easily.

no, the next CBA fight is very likely to be after next season. Everything I've heard/read says we are in for a long lockout.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
no, the next CBA fight is very likely to be after next season. Everything I've heard/read says we are in for a long lockout.

I sit corrected.

NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement - Wikipedia

The NHL or NHLPA can opt out September of next year to expire for 2020, but the actual deal expires naturally after the 2021-2022 season. And yeah, this one is gonna go for as long as it has to, and then a bit longer. Everyone should be prepared for another year of saturday night movies on the CBC.

Reactions: ChoseLa

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I sit corrected.

NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement - Wikipedia

The NHL or NHLPA can opt out September of next year to expire for 2020, but the actual deal expires naturally after the 2021-2022 season. And yeah, this one is gonna go for as long as it has to, and then a bit longer. Everyone should be prepared for another year of saturday night movies on the CBC.

Unless it's all talk, it certainly sounds really bad so I fully expect a year long lock out. This could be the big one, or maybe it ends up being nothing. If they lockout, I'll be watching Laval and wherever else our prospects end up. Frankly that will be an improvement over watching the Habs as I can only take so much of watching Scherbak play with waivers Shaw or Galchenyuk with DLR, or rushing another 20 year old to the NHL because their roster sucks.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The next CBA fight I believe is 2020-2021 so you know there will be two compulsory buyouts for then. If Price is washed up, they can wash their hands of him pretty easily.

I honestly don't believe that 'compulsory' is the right word. I think that you meant 'compliance' buyouts, no?

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Unless it's all talk, it certainly sounds really bad so I fully expect a year long lock out. This could be the big one, or maybe it ends up being nothing. If they lockout, I'll be watching Laval and wherever else our prospects end up. Frankly that will be an improvement over watching the Habs as I can only take so much of watching Scherbak play with waivers Shaw or Galchenyuk with DLR, or rushing another 20 year old to the NHL because their roster sucks.

I'm angry already.

Reactions: montreal

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
I wonder if Timmins/MB goes for BPA or best centre available at 3rd pick? In ISS rankings winger Zadina is currently 3rd and centre Tkatchuk 4th pick...

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I wonder if Timmins/MB goes for BPA or best centre available at 3rd pick? In ISS rankings winger Zadina is currently 3rd and centre Tkatchuk 4th pick...

I know Tkachuk has been listed as a C in some reports, but he is a winger. Most prospect databases will list LW as his primary position. Doesn't mean he may not be a center of course (depends on who drafts him) but based on my viewings, he does project to be more of a winger.

That said, if the Habs are entertaining the idea of a center with #3 overall, it'll be Kotkaniemi.

HereInTheNord

Nov 20, 2016
Quebec city
Questions for you guys that watched prospects...won't pretend I know them all that much... How do you see Kotkaniemi compared to a guy like Borgstrom?
Pounding if something like 3OA + say something like a second vs Borgstrom + 15OA could be the way to go.
IF the center prospect is worth it and NHL ready, a team like panthers full at center but needing good wingers ...
Might be easier than trading down in 6-7 rank to grab Kotkaniemi.
Just feel this draft needs to fix the center issue and the 3OA will be used one way or another to fix it...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Questions for you guys that watched prospects...won't pretend I know them all that much... How do you see Kotkaniemi compared to a guy like Borgstrom?
Pounding if something like 3OA + say something like a second vs Borgstrom + 15OA could be the way to go.
IF the center prospect is worth it and NHL ready, a team like panthers full at center but needing good wingers ...
Might be easier than trading down in 6-7 rank to grab Kotkaniemi.
Just feel this draft needs to fix the center issue and the 3OA will be used one way or another to fix it...

Panthers have already said that Borgstrom won't be traded. They value this player and see him helping the NHL team real soon, if not next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad