HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Draft (#3, #35, #38, #56, #62, #66, #97, #102, #122 & #128)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here is my favorites for the first two rounds. This is NOT how I expect draft day to go down. This is merely a list of who I like. So if you read it, as we pick #3, I like Boqvist most, followed by Wahlstrom, etc...

The * means who I like and who I think we should target.

Round 1
1. Rasmus Dahlin * (LOL)
2. Andrei Svechnikov *
3. Adam Boqvist *
4. Oliver Wahlstrom *
5. Filip Zadina *
6. Quinn Hughes *
7. Noah Dobson
8. Jesperi Kotkaniemi *
9. Ty Smith
10. Brady Tkachuk
11. Evan Bouchard
12. Vitaly Kravtsov
13. Filip Hallander
14. Jonatan Berggren
15. Isac Lundestrom
16. Joel Farabee
17. Ty Dellandrea
18. Jonathan Tychonick
19. Rasmus Kupari
20. Martin Kaut
21. Nils Lundkvist
22. Dominik Bokk
23. Alexander Alexeyev
24. Rasmus Sandin
25. Grigori Denisenko
26. Joseph Veleno
27. Jacob Olofsson
28. Barrett Hayton
29. Jesse Ylonen
30. Bode Wilde
31. Liam Foudy

ROUND 2
32. Bulat Shaffigullin ***
33. Blake McLaughlin *
34. Philipp Kurashev
35. Ivan Morozov
36. Cameron Hillis **
37. Dominik Bokk
38. Ryan Merkley
39. Jay O'Brien *
40. Alexander Khovanov
41. Jake Wise *
42. Jack McBain
43. Cole Fonstad *
44. Akil Thomas
45. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev *
46. Jett Woo
47. Jacob Ragnarsson
48. Niklas Nordgren
49. Serron Noel
50. Jacob Bernard-Docker
51. Jared McIsaac
52. Kirill Marchenko *
53. Filip Kral
54. Ryan McLeod
55. Jack Drury
56. Ruslan Iskhakov *
57. Stanislav Demin
58. Nicolas Beaudin *
59. Kyle Topping
60. Allan McShane
61. K'Andre Miller
62. Danila Zhuravlyov

I've asked the question elsewhere, with no result.

Let me try here. Is there anyone from your list or who is likely to be available in the 2nd round, who has top 6 potential as a C? If so, who?

Thanks in advance.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Let me try here. Is there anyone from your list or who is likely to be available in the 2nd round, who has top 6 potential as a C? If so, who?

Thanks in advance.

There's more than a few you can project as second line centers: including Blake McLaughlin, Cameron Hillis, Cole Fonstad, Alexander Khovanov, Jake Wise, Ivan Morozov and Aiden Dudas from his list to start.

In fact, the issue with this draft is that there are a lot of smallish, (5'10 - 5'11) skilled centers with NHL second line upside. Differentiating between them all is difficult because they all play in different leagues.

Khovanov is Q. Hillis OHL. Fonstad WHL. McLaughlin USHL. Morozov is in Russia. Wise is on the National Team Development Program in the U.S. & was injured for the early part of the season. He's NCAA next year.

They've all had various levels of success but not enough to put them in the first round. They're all skilled, but need work on an area, like strength, shot or own zone play.

It really comes down to who you've seen the most of & preference.

Even in 3rd & 4th rounds you might be able to grab a guy who becomes a top 6 forward. (Both Gaudreau & Guentzal are former 3rd round picks). They'll just have a 3-4 year development time.

It's actually a really deep draft for centers in general just not in round 1 & they're not guys you project as #1 centers, but certainly quality #2s.

Montreal could easily draft all centers from rounds 2-5 with the ones in rounds 2-3 having top 6 upside. We're not getting a #1 C in this draft, but we can definitely improve the C situation a lot from this draft.

If we suck for one more year, we definitely have a chance at drafting a high end, #1 center. Add in this draft & the center position is likely solved from within in 2 years, especially with Poehling in the system.

The next 2 drafts are huge for us.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There's more than a few you can project as second line centers: including Blake McLaughlin, Cameron Hillis, Cole Fonstad, Alexander Khovanov, Jake Wise, Ivan Morozov and Aiden Dudas from his list to start.

In fact, the issue with this draft is that there are a lot of smallish, (5'10 - 5'11) skilled centers with NHL second line upside. Differentiating between them all is difficult because they all play in different leagues.

Khovanov is Q. Hillis OHL. Fonstad WHL. McLaughlin USHL. Morozov is in Russia. Wise is on the National Team Development Program in the U.S. & was injured for the early part of the season. He's NCAA next year.

They've all had various levels of success but not enough to put them in the first round. They're all skilled, but need work on an area, like strength, shot or own zone play.

It really comes down to who you've seen the most of & preference.

Even in 3rd & 4th rounds you might be able to grab a guy who becomes a top 6 forward. (Both Gaudreau & Guentzal are former 3rd round picks). They'll just have a 3-4 year development time.

It's actually a really deep draft for centers in general just not in round 1 & they're not guys you project as #1 centers, but certainly quality #2s.

Montreal could easily draft all centers from rounds 2-5 with the ones in rounds 2-3 having top 6 upside. We're not getting a #1 C in this draft, but we can definitely improve the C situation a lot from this draft.

If we suck for one more year, we definitely have a chance at drafting a high end, #1 center. Add in this draft & the center position is likely solved from within in 2 years, especially with Poehling in the system.

The next 2 drafts are huge for us.

Thanks so much for the great overview of where this draft stands. We ended up getting a great picks in a year where we're not likely to fill needs through the draft but then again, most of the players we'll get will be a few years away anyhow.

So it's Kotkaniemi or bust if we're going to vye for a center this year. "Bust" only from the standpoint that he's the center who is likely closest to the NHL and the best available from this year's draft, where there is a shortage of Cs in the first round esp. in the first tier.

W3K was gracious enough to provide his own list with comments. I think it's worth reprising here as both of your comments provide a great overview of what we are to expect, pending of course new information as we get closer to the draft:

We will know more when Bob's list comes out.. but here's my top 62

#4 - Oliver Wahlstrom: Likely projects at RW at the NHL level, has C qualities and would require patience/good development
#6 - Jesperi Kotkaniemi: Needs to address his skating but projects at C
#13: Isaac Lundestrom: Smooth skating pivot, middle 6 C upside but is a safe bet to realize that potential
#15 - Jonatan Berggren: Similar style to Drouin/Kane as someone who controls the puck like a C but does it from the wing
#17 - Akil Thomas: Could get bounced to the wing due to size but I believe he's gonna make a great C in the NHL. Needs to work on his consistency.
#18 - Barrett Hayton: Buried on a team, has some good qualities, safe bet to be a middle 6 C
#23 - Rasmus Kupari: Has elite tools across the board, the toolbox and brain is in question
#24 - Ty Dellandrea: Skill, jam, plays hard.
#25 - Blake McLaughlin: Skilled guy who is a toss up to play wing or C, gotta like his finishing ability and his puck control.
#26 - Ruslan Iskhakov: With his size, hes a total boom or bust and I see him on the wing
#27 - Jacob Olofsson: I've cooled off on him because I got flashbacks to being so wrong about Jacob Josefson. Flashes of offensive upside but I think becomes an Eller type C.
#30 - Joe Veleno: At the end of the 1st is when I consider him, won't be there. He's a trap prospect because he doesn't have the offensive qualities needed to be a top line C and will be selected where people think that's the case.
#31 - Cameron Hillis: First year OHLer, insane playmaking skills, smooth with the puck and smooth on his skates. Not the biggest guy but is smart and skilled.
#32 - Liam Foudy: He's gonna play wing due to his play style and his speed is more an asset flying the zone
#33 - Semyon Der-Arguchintsev: One of the babies of the draft class, Datsyukian hands, smooth, smart, skilled and on a bad team.
#34 - Ivan Morozov: 200 ft pivot with a great one timer, is hungry on pucks, turns them over and creates offense with smart short passes and off the cycle.
#40: Philip Kurashev: This guy is playing wing and sniping at the next level.
#43 - Alexander Khovanov: Had first round talent, got hepatitis, sickness really affected his performance. The gamble is there.
#45 - Cole Fonstad: I truly think he's another W who controls the puck like a C.
#47 - David Gustafsson: Foot speed is the big issue and it's tough to know where he plays in the NHL because of this.
#48 - Jay O'Brien: Raw, talented, played in a lesser league so it's tough to evaluate how good he is and where he plays at the next level
#49- Jack Drury: A lot like his Uncle, plays hard, a lot of effort, coaches love him, questioned his offense early on and then he basically produced in every game in the USHL which is a tough league to score in.
#50: Jake Wise: Small guy, shows good instincts and skills but can disappear for long stretches.
#51: Matej Pekar: Smart and underrated playmaking C
#52: Tyler Madden: Skilled pivot who also has the defensive side of the game down.. offensive upside needs to continue to grow
#58 - Jan Jenik: A typical raw skilled Czech, probably a winger, tough to know right now
#59: Milos Roman - Has some skills and upside.
#61: Eric Florchuk - Pro style center, shows some good hands in spurts, shows good finish ability in spurts, shows good playmaking ability in spurts.. needs to refine his game.
#62: Alexander Steeves: Power forward winger with a heavy shot at the next level.

I'd be confident in saying all the players I've listed have at least 2nd line C potential, but there's a lot of question marks and nothing is guaranteed, but they've all flashed enough skill on occasion to believe it within the realm of possibility but by no means a likelihood.

Reactions: groovejuice

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Thanks in advance.

Ok, if we want to be somewhat realistic (I don't think Dellandrea will make it to the 2nd round for example, despite being projected there most of the season), there are quite a few guys I feel have top-6 potential as C.

Top of my list is Hillis (assuming Dellandrea is gone). 1C may be pushing it, but I can see 2C potential. Next guy I like is McLaughlin (despite me putting him ahead of Hillis, but I also did so thinking he'll be gone before Hillis). Khovanov and Morozov I see solid top-6 potential.

Fonstad, Wise and Dudas I like a lot. I see them more middle-6, so potential 2C but we'll see.

To me, the biggest wildcard is O'Brien simply because it is hard to see footage. I've researched a lot of scouting reports on him and feel he could be a gem, but this is more me extrapolating an opinion based on what others have said rather than my first-hand account.

I really like Kotkaniemi, but I am not sure I would pick him at #3 since there are guys I like more as well as others being BPA in the top-10 in my opinion. Basically, I think we can get a really good center in the second round for "free", meaning no trades or packaging picks to move up.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ok, if we want to be somewhat realistic (I don't think Dellandrea will make it to the 2nd round for example, despite being projected there most of the season), there are quite a few guys I feel have top-6 potential as C.

Top of my list is Hillis (assuming Dellandrea is gone). 1C may be pushing it, but I can see 2C potential. Next guy I like is McLaughlin (despite me putting him ahead of Hillis, but I also did so thinking he'll be gone before Hillis). Khovanov and Morozov I see solid top-6 potential.

Fonstad, Wise and Dudas I like a lot. I see them more middle-6, so potential 2C but we'll see.

To me, the biggest wildcard is O'Brien simply because it is hard to see footage. I've researched a lot of scouting reports on him and feel he could be a gem, but this is more me extrapolating an opinion based on what others have said rather than my first-hand account.

I really like Kotkaniemi, but I am not sure I would pick him at #3 since there are guys I like more as well as others being BPA in the top-10 in my opinion. Basically, I think we can get a really good center in the second round for "free", meaning no trades or packaging picks to move up.

Thanks so much for your comments.

Wondering if you think it might be a good idea to move up for Dellandrea assuming he's there say around the 24th or 25th picks in the first round? You and others seem to think that he projects as a top 6 vs. most of the others who are likely middle six center possibilities. Looking like the best we can hope for is a 2C candidate with our picks in the second round, otherwise.

I too am very intrigued by O'Brien. I've mentioned elsewhere how Edwards has him ranked early 2nd round -- maybe the lack of coverage about him could make him available although we're talking about a North American player and not someone from an obscure European city that is not known for producing hockey players. The fact that we can't get a handle on O'Brien or as much info as we'd like, doesn't mean that a pro scout won't have a good read on him. I take it the X-factor is the lack of viewing of the player, he hasn't exactly had a lot of exposure to major competition, hasn't played all that much in a major tournament. Still, from what I've seen, this could be a dark horse unless someone like BobbyMac blows the lid off of him.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Thanks so much for the great overview of where this draft stands. We ended up getting a great picks in a year where we're not likely to fill needs through the draft but then again, most of the players we'll get will be a few years away anyhow.

So it's Kotkaniemi or bust if we're going to vye for a center this year. "Bust" only from the standpoint that he's the center who is likely closest to the NHL and the best available from this year's draft, where there is a shortage of Cs in the first round esp. in the first tier.

W3K was gracious enough to provide his own list with comments. I think it's worth reprising here as both of your comments provide a great overview of what we are to expect, pending of course new information as we get closer to the draft:

WTK's list is solid, but I wouldn't reach on a center with our 1st. Not even Kotkaniemi. He could wind up on LW too. If we get another 1st round pick then definitely. Another player I like is Lundestrom.

This draft is definitely a scout's draft. Montreal has to do their work on this one. It's easy to pick a McDavid, or even Svechnikov, but getting this second round right will be tough.

You have a kid like O'Brien who played high school prep hockey in Massachusetts vs a kid like Khovanov, a Russian playing in the Q who was affected by Hepatitis vs Morozov who played in a junior league in Russia vs Hallander who played in the second tier men's league in Sweden. They all have similar upside.

This is the type of draft that can make or break a team. Choose well & we have a deep team with scoring throughout the line-up, or we have nothing.

I would show patience in this draft. The second round is filled with skilled centers. No none project as #1, but there are a few that could develop along the lines of Jordan Kyrou, Sam Steel or Heponiemi. All of whom are very good top 6 prospects.

Keep the 4 seconds, draft 3 of those skilled C, take 1 D, take BPA 1st round & there's a good chance we have a solid draft.

One thing, I'm quietly optimistic about this draft. Our last 2 drafts have been solid: Sergachev, Bitten, Mete and Poehling, Brook, Fleury & Primeau is a pretty good prospect haul the last 2 years.

Next year, if we suck again, we'll get a chance at that #1C. If we do this draft right, we could be competitive again in 2020 season or at the very least be a young team on the rise.

I'm predicting right now that Montreal will get at least ONE very good center prospect (top 6) out of the second round to go along with Poehling.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Thanks so much for your comments.

Wondering if you think it might be a good idea to move up for Dellandrea assuming he's there say around the 24th or 25th picks in the first round? You and others seem to think that he projects as a top 6 vs. most of the others who are likely middle six center possibilities. Looking like the best we can hope for is a 2C candidate with our picks in the second round, otherwise.

I too am very intrigued by O'Brien. I've mentioned elsewhere how Edwards has him ranked early 2nd round -- maybe the lack of coverage about him could make him available although we're talking about a North American player and not someone from an obscure European city that is not known for producing hockey players. The fact that we can't get a handle on O'Brien or as much info as we'd like, doesn't mean that a pro scout won't have a good read on him. I take it the X-factor is the lack of viewing of the player, he hasn't exactly had a lot of exposure to major competition, hasn't played all that much in a major tournament. Still, from what I've seen, this could be a dark horse unless someone like BobbyMac blows the lid off of him.

WTK's list is solid, but I wouldn't reach on a center with our 1st. Not even Kotkaniemi. He could wind up on LW too. If we get another 1st round pick then definitely. Another player I like is Lundestrom.

This draft is definitely a scout's draft. Montreal has to do their work on this one. It's easy to pick a McDavid, or even Svechnikov, but getting this second round right will be tough.

You have a kid like O'Brien who played high school prep hockey in Massachusetts vs a kid like Khovanov, a Russian playing in the Q who was affected by Hepatitis vs Morozov who played in a junior league in Russia vs Hallander who played in the second tier men's league in Sweden. They all have similar upside.

This is the type of draft that can make or break a team. Choose well & we have a deep team with scoring throughout the line-up, or we have nothing.

I would show patience in this draft. The second round is filled with skilled centers. No none project as #1, but there are a few that could develop along the lines of Jordan Kyrou, Sam Steel or Heponiemi. All of whom are very good top 6 prospects.

Keep the 4 seconds, draft 3 of those skilled C, take 1 D, take BPA 1st round & there's a good chance we have a solid draft.

One thing, I'm quietly optimistic about this draft. Our last 2 drafts have been solid: Sergachev, Bitten, Mete and Poehling, Brook, Fleury & Primeau is a pretty good prospect haul the last 2 years.

Next year, if we suck again, we'll get a chance at that #1C. If we do this draft right, we could be competitive again in 2020 season or at the very least be a young team on the rise.

I'm predicting right now that Montreal will get at least ONE very good center prospect (top 6) out of the second round to go along with Poehling.

I'm kind of with MK here. I would not reach for a center with our first, or move seconds to grab one. If one happens to fall to us, or a trade (Pacioretty) gets us in a really good position, I'd reconsider.

I've been pumping Dellandrea's tires for as long as I can remember in these draft threads. That said, Hillis is obtainable and for me, I'd be really happy grabbing him if it means saving our picks. Also, if restocking the center cupboards is the goal, we can get 2 really good center prospects IMO in the second.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm kind of with MK here. I would not reach for a center with our first, or move seconds to grab one. If one happens to fall to us, or a trade (Pacioretty) gets us in a really good position, I'd reconsider.

I've been pumping Dellandrea's tires for as long as I can remember in these draft threads. That said, Hillis is obtainable and for me, I'd be really happy grabbing him if it means saving our picks. Also, if restocking the center cupboards is the goal, we can get 2 really good center prospects IMO in the second.

I'm really encouraged by all the comments provided by yourself, Markovsknee and W3K this morning. The opportunity to come away with a couple of top 6 center candidates is realizable and if not, we could at least have one top 6C candidate -- and that would go a long way in an organization with such little depth.

It's unfortunate that we didn't have a 3rd OA next year and if Price bounces back and Bergevin does the unthinkable and trades futures for immediate help, we're not very likely to see us with a high draft pick next year. I'm thus not holding much hope that we'll get that elusive no. 1C with next year's first round pick. All we have as a certainty is what we can do right now -- throwing a huge number of picks at whatever we can get. Strength in numbers -- we're bound to get something right, even if we don't have the best scouting contingent doing the job.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
I totally agree with the BPA with our first (probably not a center), and to select C's in the second. But, I would select, at least, one LHD with one of our 4 x 2nd or early 3rd. If possible.

Who would you target at the LHD position?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I totally agree with the BPA with our first (probably not a center), and to select C's in the second. But, I would select, at least, one LHD with one of our 4 x 2nd or early 3rd. If possible.

In the early second round, you might hope to get Alexander Alexeyev or Johnny Tychonick or Rasmus Sandin. In the later second round you might hope to get Slava Demin or Kevin Bahl (who the regulars hate, but he was really good at the U18s). Beyond that there's the russians: Galenyuk and Zhuravlyov, Filip Kral, Giovanni Vallati, Scott Perunovich.

edit: I can't believe I almost forgot: Jacob Ragnarsson. IMO, the 4th best Swedish dman this year, and he's a lefty.

Where it gets kinda tricky is that there could be a better RD available at every spot: there's tonnes this year. We might even draft one with our first. Then going into the second round you have guys like Lundkvist, Bernard-Docker, Addison, Regula, Keane, Durzi, Emberson. Regula is actually one of my personal favourites this year. He's 6'4, an excellent skater and puck mover, one of the youngest players in the draft, and made a lot of progress over the year.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Rasmus Sandin is my #1 target for defence in the second. He's a tweener 1st rounder IMO, so I'd grab him and run if he is still there. He also happens to shoot left.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

There's so many players who are rated to go in that 20-40 range it's tough to know who's going to be available.

I like Sundin, but he may go late 1st. Same with Alexeyev, Miller, Tychonick, even MacIsaac has fallen into that group. I also like Demin a lot. Then there's the righties, Bernard-Docker, Woo, Lundkvist.

Montreal should take the best D available early 2nd either at #35 or #38 regardless of handedness. We're building a new core & Petry isn't going to be a part of it. He's gone from Montreal in 2 years. Juulsen looks like he could be top 4 but it'll be as a defensive defenseman & neither Brook or Fleury are guaranteed anything. So just take the best D.

Take 3 forwards, including at least two centers with the other 3 picks & another D in the 3rd rd.

After 3rd round just go for skill regardless of position, no more Pezzettas or Crisps. And no more project picks like Staum.

Skill, skill, skill.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
There's so many players who are rated to go in that 20-40 range it's tough to know who's going to be available.

I like Sundin, but he may go late 1st. Same with Alexeyev, Miller, Tychonick, even MacIsaac has fallen into that group. I also like Demin a lot. Then there's the righties, Bernard-Docker, Woo, Lundkvist.

Montreal should take the best D available early 2nd either at #35 or #38 regardless of handedness. We're building a new core & Petry isn't going to be a part of it. He's gone from Montreal in 2 years. Juulsen looks like he could be top 4 but it'll be as a defensive defenseman & neither Brook or Fleury are guaranteed anything. So just take the best D.

Take 3 forwards, including at least two centers with the other 3 picks & another D in the 3rd rd.

After 3rd round just go for skill regardless of position, no more Pezzettas or Crisps. And no more project picks like Staum.

Skill, skill, skill.

Keep saying it. Maybe it will register with the Braintrust.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Skill, skill, skill.

Personally I wouldn't even look at position. I would just look at the player and what they project to be, then draft who you feel is the best no matter the position. Now if it's a goalie I would consider going to the next person on the list unless they feel the goalie is just too good to pass on.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Personally I wouldn't even look at position. I would just look at the player and what they project to be, then draft who you feel is the best no matter the position. Now if it's a goalie I would consider going to the next person on the list unless they feel the goalie is just too good to pass on.

Just so much we can do with one draft. The danger is in trying to do too much and then lose sight or compromise on valuable attributes in favor of position.

We've done well selecting a goalie with a 7th round pick last year. They are generally not a scarce asset. If we really want someone, I'm sure they can trade for another 7th rounder. Look at our goalie depth and where we got it -- McNiven and Lindgren signed for free. I can't see how we can possibly fall for a goalie this year -- there ought to be several other options before we get to that point.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm really encouraged by all the comments provided by yourself, Markovsknee and W3K this morning. The opportunity to come away with a couple of top 6 center candidates is realizable and if not, we could at least have one top 6C candidate -- and that would go a long way in an organization with such little depth.

It's unfortunate that we didn't have a 3rd OA next year and if Price bounces back and Bergevin does the unthinkable and trades futures for immediate help, we're not very likely to see us with a high draft pick next year. I'm thus not holding much hope that we'll get that elusive no. 1C with next year's first round pick. All we have as a certainty is what we can do right now -- throwing a huge number of picks at whatever we can get. Strength in numbers -- we're bound to get something right, even if we don't have the best scouting contingent doing the job.

Yes, but don't forget that historically the chances of those 2nd's even becoming bottom six guys is not great. If 2 of those players plays 200 NHL games we will have done quite well. Still you have to roll the dice because most years great players come out of the 2nd and 3rd round.

Reactions: Runner77

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I really have no problem with Kotkienemi at 3. Yes he is that good and yes getting a top C any other way is actually very hard. Obviously I think he can be a top C... if you don't then you don't take him.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
#3-LW Filip Zadina, Halifax -QMJHL

#35-RW Martin Kaut, Pardubice-CZE

#38-C-Cameron Hillis, Guelph-OHL

#56-C-Milos Roman, Vancouver-WHL

#61-LW Jan Jenik, Benatky-CZE

#66-RW-Riley Sutter, Everett-WHL

#97-LD-Xavier Bernard, Drummondville-QMJHL

#102-C-Luke Henman, Blainville-Boisbriand-QMJHL

#122-C-Philipp Kurashev, Quebec-QMJHL

#128-RW-Pavel Gogolev, Peterborough-OHL

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
To put that in perspective that's three full lines and a puck moving D out of one draft!

Zadina-Hillis-Kaut
Jenik-Roman-Sutter
Kurashev-Henman-Gogolev

Bernard

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
Updated Top 20 after the 2018 draft (not including AHL players)

1-Zadina
2-Poehling
3-Primeau
4-Fleury
5-Kaut
6-Evans
7-Hillis
8-Brook
9-Bitten
10-Hawkey
11-Vejdemo
12-Roman
13-Jenik
14-Ikonen
15-Sutter
16-Tyszka
17-Bernard
18-Kurashev
19-Henman
20-Gogolev

Reactions: Goldenhands

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Rasmus Sandin is my #1 target for defence in the second. He's a tweener 1st rounder IMO, so I'd grab him and run if he is still there. He also happens to shoot left.

I agree. I think one of Alexeev or Lundkvist will be there, too. They'd be my choice for a D as well.

But even more so than these guys, while Kravtsov won't fall, Shafigullin will and he's the one I want the most out of any player.

He's raw, but he's as skilled as any player. He relied a bit too much on those skills early on, so that's an issue ( a bit like Yakupov), but he was doing everything you want in the playoffs.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
#3-LW Filip Zadina, Halifax -QMJHL

#35-RW Martin Kaut, Pardubice-CZE

#38-C-Cameron Hillis, Guelph-OHL

#56-C-Milos Roman, Vancouver-WHL

#61-LW Jan Jenik, Benatky-CZE

#66-RW-Riley Sutter, Everett-WHL

#97-LD-Xavier Bernard, Drummondville-QMJHL

#102-C-Luke Henman, Blainville-Boisbriand-QMJHL

#122-C-Philipp Kurashev, Quebec-QMJHL

#128-RW-Pavel Gogolev, Peterborough-OHL
I don't expect Kaut to be there at 35, he probably doesn't make it outside the top 15, nor Kurashev at 122.

Henman I've seen play in person, is a pretty underrated prospect with a good shot and offensive skills but is on a loaded team, should be interesting to see what he does. I'd definitely have a few players I prefer at that spot though. I also don't like the Sutter pick.

I've decided that best case scenario:
3 for 9+26+29 from NYR

9: RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL / C Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Assat, Liiga
26: C Jonatan Berggren - Skelleftea AIK, SHL
29: LD Jonathan Tychonick - Penticton Vees, BCHL
35: A dropper - Sandin (Soo, OHL), Alexeyev (Red Deer, WHL),
56: C/LW Cole Fonstad - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL
61: RW Bulat Shafigullin - Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk, KHL
66: RD Jacob Bernard-Docker - Okotoks Oilers, AJHL
97: C Semyon Der-Arguchintsev - Peterborough Petes, OHL
102: RD Wyatte Wylie - Everett Silvertips, WHL
122: LD Spencer Stastney - U.S. National Development Program, USHL
128: LW Olivier Okuliar - HK Dukla Trencin, Slovakia / RW Pavel Gogolev - Peterborough Petes, OHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad