HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Draft (#3, #35, #38, #56, #62, #66, #97, #102, #122 & #128)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not what I'm saying. My whole point is about quality vs quantity. Take BPA. Don't pass up on someone with a higher ceiling just to get a center with a lower ceiling.

I absolutely get that part. Assuming the BPA is a center with 2 or 3 of our second rounders -- are any of these centers that may be available at our turn, potential top 6Cs?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Flyers got one in Frost with the 27th pick. We have the 35th and 38th pick in a deep draft. I guess it depends on what your criteria is for a grade A center. I there there a few guys that could possibly be a grade A center 12 months from now around the 20-40 range. It's anybodies guess at development from here till 1 year down the road though. O'Brien, Dellandrea, Wise are some options. Other posters have mentioned a few other names as well.

The other thing I didn't touch on in the previous post is what we get for Patch as well. My plan would be to get one of Kotkaniemi, Hayton, Veleno, Kupari. I think one of them is available with the 15th pick and I think we can swing a deal with the Panthers.
I'm not saying it's impossible, just incredibly difficult. There are far more examples of players picked in the same range as our 2nds not becoming a grade A prospect than those who actually become grade A prospects.

Reactions: Ethan Wiles

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not saying it's impossible, just incredibly difficult. There are far more examples of players picked in the same range as our 2nds not becoming a grade A prospect than those who actually become grade A prospects.

Easier this draft vs other drafts. Like I said, the 20-40 range is similar talent IMO. I bet you each teams rankings vary by a lot in that range.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I absolutely get that part. Assuming the BPA is a center with 2 or 3 of our second rounders -- are any of these centers that may be available at our turn, potential top 6Cs?
I believe so. Not the majority, but I do believe that a few of them have top 6 potential.

Reactions: Runner77

brianp1950

Sep 28, 2017
Flyers got one in Frost with the 27th pick. We have the 35th and 38th pick in a deep draft. I guess it depends on what your criteria is for a grade A center. I there there a few guys that could possibly be a grade A center 12 months from now around the 20-40 range. It's anybodies guess at development from here till 1 year down the road though. O'Brien, Dellandrea, Wise are some options. Other posters have mentioned a few other names as well.

The other thing I didn't touch on in the previous post is what we get for Patch as well. My plan would be to get one of Kotkaniemi, Hayton, Veleno, Kupari. I think one of them is available with the 15th pick and I think we can swing a deal with the Panthers.

Dont forget Giroux

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Easier this draft vs other drafts. Like I said, the 20-40 range is similar talent IMO. I bet you each teams rankings vary by a lot in that range.
It looks that way now but wait a bit before confirming that. Also, I don't understand why people don't think last year was deep. At least you can see another year of last year's draft class and see their improvements. Besides the top 2 picks who weren't franchise altering players, I don't see that much difference between last year's and this ones. Except last year had much better center prospects.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It looks that way now but wait a bit before confirming that. Also, I don't understand why people don't think last year was deep. At least you can see another year of last year's draft class and see their improvements. Besides the top 2 picks who weren't franchise altering players, I don't see that much difference between last year's and this ones. Except last year had much better center prospects.

I can't confirm it cause I don't have a crystal ball. It's what I think today based on looking at several prospects. There are so many names out there that people keep bringing up. I believe in the hype of it being a deep draft and I really do think the 20-40 range is similar potential. Some would say it goes deeper than that. 12 months from now the story will change for many of these prospects but there is just way too many of them to have the majority to disappoint. My calculations are based more on probability vs hope.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I knew there would be several quality choices available in the second round. I think a normal fan reaction is to throw as many picks at a C as you can, to favor our chances. Do you believe Timmins will at least use 3 of those picks on a C?

2 centers and 2 LD IMO. I think there is just as big of a hole on LD as we have at center.

On paper, the 2 centers and 2 LHD approach is fine. I'd definitely would have that idea on my mind, but...

Not what I'm saying. My whole point is about quality vs quantity. Take BPA. Don't pass up on someone with a higher ceiling just to get a center with a lower ceiling.

This was what I wanted to say earlier. If the BPA is clearly a winger for example, I'd grab him. If it ends up the clear BPA at each of our draft positions in the second are all wingers or RHD, so be it.

Granted, if the skill and potential upside is close, then I'd lean towards the center and actually RHD as they are worth more as potential trade chips. That said, I think Hillis should be a target for us as I am certain we will have an opportunity to draft him. If we're in the 50-range of picks, he'll be BPA in my opinion, but I got a feeling he'll be gone before then.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I'd be curious to see your top 55 ranked players and don't include McIsaac, Groulx, Ginning. That's my point. It's hard to say who I would pick by the time the 56th pick comes. Not sure how accurate Cam Robinson's rankings are but he has McIsaac ranked 45, Groulx 50, and Ginning 53.

But I do get your point. I just am not sure if that "star" potential target is there at 56. Look at O'Brien, Wise, Alexeyev, Sandin, Dellandrea, Tychonick types. What is the probability they are around with the 35th pick? If we are high on them, so are other teams. I just hope teams pass on certain players and draft by position of need and a few LD and C slip into the 35 and 38 picks.
Just saw this.

My top 55 includes McIsaac, never said a bad thing about him- I'm pretty neutral there. I can PM you my first two rounds worth of picks if you want

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just saw this.

My top 55 includes McIsaac, never said a bad thing about him- I'm pretty neutral there. I can PM you my first two rounds worth of picks if you want

You don’t have to. I know you have done your research. I just don’t know what’s really available once we pick 56 and 61/62. I think it’s drops off at some point in the 2nd round. As far as McIsaac.. I think he goes late 1st or early 2nd but won’t be surprised he slips either

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
You don’t have to. I know you have done your research. I just don’t know what’s really available once we pick 56 and 61/62. I think it’s drops off at some point in the 2nd round. As far as McIsaac.. I think he goes late 1st or early 2nd but won’t be surprised he slips either
I think when it comes down to it, there are probably over 100 players in this draft with a higher upside than Ginning, he's just considered "safer" than most because he plays at a high level. McIsaac would be a real good pick in the 2nd I agree. I don't have faith he'll make it there, but if he does...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think when it comes down to it, there are probably over 100 players in this draft with a higher upside than Ginning, he's just considered "safer" than most because he plays at a high level. McIsaac would be a real good pick in the 2nd I agree. I don't have faith he'll make it there, but if he does...

You probably have looked more in detail with the 40+ pick rankings. I’ve been looking at 20-40 range in detail. That’s where the Habs get high ceiling guys.

I’m not high on McIsaac being a offensive type. I’d take him with the late 2nds though.. if he magically was still available. I would not take him with our early 2nds. Rather draft two centers instead if it came down to McIsaac as the best available LD at that point.

As fast as Ginning.. it was just a name I threw out there with the late 2nds. Not high or low on him

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
You probably have looked more in detail with the 40+ pick rankings. I’ve been looking at 20-40 range in detail. That’s where the Habs get high ceiling guys.

I’m not high on McIsaac being a offensive type. I’d take him with the late 2nds though.. if he magically was still available. I would not take him with our early 2nds. Rather draft two centers instead if it came down to McIsaac as the best available LD at that point.

As fast as Ginning.. it was just a name I threw out there with the late 2nds. Not high or low on him
Alright fair. I don't agree not disagree on McIsaac, like I said I'm pretty neutral there.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
What are the chances NYR offers up their 3 1sts for pick 3?
It would be glorious and fair imo. Kotkaniemi at 9 and hopefully Alexeyev and Berggren with the other 2. Or you can package for a higher 1st and go for Kravtsov or Farabee.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Here is my favorites for the first two rounds. This is NOT how I expect draft day to go down. This is merely a list of who I like. So if you read it, as we pick #3, I like Boqvist most, followed by Wahlstrom, etc...

The * means who I like and who I think we should target.

Round 1
1. Rasmus Dahlin * (LOL)
2. Andrei Svechnikov *
3. Adam Boqvist *
4. Oliver Wahlstrom *
5. Filip Zadina *
6. Quinn Hughes *
7. Noah Dobson
8. Jesperi Kotkaniemi *
9. Ty Smith
10. Brady Tkachuk
11. Evan Bouchard
12. Vitaly Kravtsov
13. Filip Hallander
14. Jonatan Berggren
15. Isac Lundestrom
16. Joel Farabee
17. Ty Dellandrea
18. Jonathan Tychonick
19. Rasmus Kupari
20. Martin Kaut
21. Nils Lundkvist
22. Dominik Bokk
23. Alexander Alexeyev
24. Rasmus Sandin
25. Grigori Denisenko
26. Joseph Veleno
27. Jacob Olofsson
28. Barrett Hayton
29. Jesse Ylonen
30. Bode Wilde
31. Liam Foudy

ROUND 2
32. Bulat Shaffigullin ***
33. Blake McLaughlin *
34. Philipp Kurashev
35. Ivan Morozov
36. Cameron Hillis **
37. Dominik Bokk
38. Ryan Merkley
39. Jay O'Brien *
40. Alexander Khovanov
41. Jake Wise *
42. Jack McBain
43. Cole Fonstad *
44. Akil Thomas
45. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev *
46. Jett Woo
47. Jacob Ragnarsson
48. Niklas Nordgren
49. Serron Noel
50. Jacob Bernard-Docker
51. Jared McIsaac
52. Kirill Marchenko *
53. Filip Kral
54. Ryan McLeod
55. Jack Drury
56. Ruslan Iskhakov *
57. Stanislav Demin
58. Nicolas Beaudin *
59. Kyle Topping
60. Allan McShane
61. K'Andre Miller
62. Danila Zhuravlyov

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If I had one pick, it would be Hillis. I'll gamble on that upside all day long. But for what it's worth.. they are one slot apart on my list.

Same on most draft lists. They're both ranked in that 45-50 range. They'll both probably be there at 38, but neither may be there at 56.

I'd draft Foudy at 38 & see if Hillis is available at 56. Of the 2, I think he would be the one to drop. There's so many players I'd love to take at 35, it's crazy.

Think we should take a D at the Caps pick.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Same on most draft lists. They're both ranked in that 45-50 range. They'll both probably be there at 38, but neither may be there at 56.

I'd draft Foudy at 38 & see if Hillis is available at 56. Of the 2, I think he would be the one to drop. There's so many players I'd love to take at 35, it's crazy.

Think we should take a D at the Caps pick.

I would take Hillis without hesitation.. Hillis is gonna play C if he makes it.. Foudy is a winger through and through.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If K'André Miller really slips to 61, I'll be amazed. Would be a great pick with a late 2nd rounder if that was the case.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I would take Hillis without hesitation.. Hillis is gonna play C if he makes it.. Foudy is a winger through and through.

There's a lot of undersized, skilled centers in this draft, Habs could potentially draft all centers after round one if they want too.

One of Hillis, Fonstad, Dudas, O'Brien, McBain, Khovanov, Wise, Drury, Topping, or McShane is going to be there at Toronto's pick. Other teams will pick D or wingers. We take the Best smallish skilled Center available at Toronto's pick.

McLaughlin & Foudy won't be there, so if you like Foudy's NHL upside then you have to take him at 38.

The kid has everything including amazing skating ability in every direction & on his edges. He can handle the puck at top speed too & he has good size.

I don't see us getting both, but it's more likely that Hillis is available with Toronto's pick than Foudy. And I don't want to draft either at 35.

I'd bet anything the Rangers or Oilers take Foudy at 39/40, if we don't take him at 38. Even if they don't, he's not falling to 56.

Bobby Mac had Hillis at 56 in his mid-term rankings & Hillis didn't have the kind of second half that increases his draft ranking. I like Hillis. I like him a lot better at 56.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There's a lot of undersized, skilled centers in this draft, Habs could potentially draft all centers after round one if they want too.

One of Hillis, Fonstad, Dudas, O'Brien, McBain, Khovanov, Wise, Drury, Topping, or McShane is going to be there at Toronto's pick. Other teams will pick D or wingers. We take the Best smallish skilled Center available at Toronto's pick.

McLaughlin & Foudy won't be there, so if you like Foudy's NHL upside then you have to take him at 38.

The kid has everything including amazing skating ability in every direction & on his edges. He can handle the puck at top speed too & he has good size.

I don't see us getting both, but it's more likely that Hillis is available with Toronto's pick than Foudy. And I don't want to draft either at 35.

I'd bet anything the Rangers or Oilers take Foudy at 39/40, if we don't take him at 38. Even if they don't, he's not falling to 56.

Bobby Mac had Hillis at 56 in his mid-term rankings & Hillis didn't have the kind of second half that increases his draft ranking. I like Hillis. I like him a lot better at 56.

I'm waiting for Bobby Mac's list to come out so I can realistically slot in my targets based on their projected landing spots vis a vis his list (best accurate ranking out there)

But Hillis is higher on my list and so I'm not gambling on losing that. As far as your list.. Fonstad, Dudas, Topping are likely playing wing.. I wouldn't touch McBain and McShane has skating concerns that would make me reluctant.. but definitely on board to hopefully nab Hillis, O'Brien, Khovanov and/or Drury with some of our 2nds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad