Monthly News Thread (May 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
hate the idea of being on a friday. thats all.
but good for them obviously if they managed that deal.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
SmackDown's ratings didn't increase because they went live

They increased because they created a real brand split and returned a main title back on SD television and reorganized the entire show's format to not be a continuation of Raw's storylines.

I dont think there's any way you can prove that tbh. In theory you could do everything you listed but if it's taped do people care?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I dont think there's any way you can prove that tbh. In theory you could do everything you listed but if it's taped do people care?
I think the 300k instantly is because it went live and then the increases in the almost 2 years since are due to the product itself.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Because airing it live on Friday's would involve WWE changing the way they've scheduled things for nearly 20 years now...
They're putting it on Friday? I missed that one.

Imagine a heel Rusev vs. face Reigns feud.

Rusev lays a savage beating on the beloved babyface superstar Roman Reigns as Cole recoils at the horror of the situation despite the fact that the crowd is going nuts for Rusev.
Yeah, they did that already.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
SmackDown's ratings didn't increase because they went live

They increased because they created a real brand split and returned a main title back on SD television and reorganized the entire show's format to not be a continuation of Raw's storylines.

Yeah...

... No.

WWE's European Tour shows have historically lower ratings than live shows. Or do they just randomly do a brand split for those weeks only?

And if having a title mattered, RAW's ratings would be below SD's for the last year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah...

... No.

WWE's European Tour shows have historically lower ratings than live shows. Or do they just randomly do a brand split for those weeks only?

And if having a title mattered, RAW's ratings would be below SD's for the last year.
The TV's from England aren't huge drop-offs

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Huge no, less yes. Nobody's saying they're gonna lose half their audience.
Raw did better ratings last week (~2%) and Smackdown stayed the same.

I wonder if they completely re-brand Smackdown altogether and give it a new name. One of my big questions

Also, someone said that this means they don't have to have good shows. That depends. They have to gain new viewers. Fox isn't going go for basically ~$1M per viewer per year without then moving it to FS1. They will go up when it happens, and when they do they need a product that keeps those people. The 2.5-2.7 is basically their floor right now.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
What's the big deal with Smackdown touring changing from Saturday - Tuesday to Friday - Monday to facilitate it being live? Gets everyone in the company on the same schedule in terms of days and it should help Smackdown draw better in terms of attendance as people are much more likely to go on a Friday night to a show than a Tuesday night.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What's the big deal with Smackdown touring changing from Saturday - Tuesday to Friday - Monday to facilitate it being live? Gets everyone in the company on the same schedule in terms of days and it should help Smackdown draw better in terms of attendance as people are much more likely to go on a Friday night to a show than a Tuesday night.
The bottom line is that it doesn't matter. They should cut down on the house shows now anyways

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's weird seeing negative reaction to such great news for the WWE and wrestling altogether. In a period where it really felt like wrestling was moving more and more to niche, out pops NJPW who has been delivering for years but now getting viewed by more casual wrestling fans. Then comes some great Indy news like the All In show. And now we have the big guns getting a shit load of money and that puts a lot of wrestlers in position to make good money for a long time. Good for them.

Honestly I think the last couple weeks have been nothing but awesome for wrestling. Interested to see where it all goes. Of course we have some general concerns on storylines/content/etc, but this is great stuff.

Reactions: Disclose

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The bottom line is that it doesn't matter. They should cut down on the house shows now anyways

What about Raw/SD house shows combined that way wrestlers don't have to go every single night? They can sell more tickets with a bigger roster and some guys can get nights off. Maybe? Maybe not?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What about Raw/SD house shows combined that way wrestlers don't have to go every single night? They can sell more tickets with a bigger roster and some guys can get nights off. Maybe? Maybe not?
The towns they run, that doesn't matter either. The people who go to a show in Saskatoon or Allentown are going to go. No one is a big enough star other than Lesnar or Cena to draw at house shows like that

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

Won't get an argument from me. For Smackdown's schedule at least in that format I laid out, they could punt that Monday house show which will probably draw nothing anyway and it'll be a drop in the pan.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The only reason they do the Monday house show is because they’re already on the road. This schedule will be more ideal and hopefully they go down to 3-day loops.

Also the major PPV weekends became much more easy, you can do a Friday-Monday run instead of Saturday-Tuesday.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
It's weird seeing negative reaction to such great news for the WWE and wrestling altogether. In a period where it really felt like wrestling was moving more and more to niche, out pops NJPW who has been delivering for years but now getting viewed by more casual wrestling fans. Then comes some great Indy news like the All In show. And now we have the big guns getting a **** load of money and that puts a lot of wrestlers in position to make good money for a long time. Good for them.

Honestly I think the last couple weeks have been nothing but awesome for wrestling. Interested to see where it all goes. Of course we have some general concerns on storylines/content/etc, but this is great stuff.

I'm glad they are going to FOX because it mean it stays two hours. Yes, less product is still better for quality control. I DNGAF how much more money it makes.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne

Same reason Smackdown is on a Tuesday now, money.

Producing live TV is really really expensive. And it's even more expensive when you have to do it twice a week on non-sequential days as you need to be flying your entire production in and out twice a week, opposed to in on Monday and out on Tuesday after just travelling between shows.

Even with the new TV deal, it's a non-trivial cost to incur.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Raw did better ratings last week (~2%) and Smackdown stayed the same.

I wonder if they completely re-brand Smackdown altogether and give it a new name. One of my big questions

Also, someone said that this means they don't have to have good shows. That depends. They have to gain new viewers. Fox isn't going go for basically ~$1M per viewer per year without then moving it to FS1. They will go up when it happens, and when they do they need a product that keeps those people. The 2.5-2.7 is basically their floor right now.

Raw's rating the prior week was one of the lowest they've had since the mid 90s...

I doubt they re-brand. They love saying that, "Weekly episodic" crap.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
October 2019 makes sense since according to Kevin Feige (head of Marvel Studios), that's when the Disney/Fox deal will probably be finalized.
It's also when Disney is launching their own streaming service, isn't it?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
isn't the Disney/Fox deal just for 21st Century Fox? So just the film division.

Regional Sports networks go to Disney as well along with Sky plc(39% stake).

Proposed acquisition of 21st Century Fox by Disney - Wikipedia

Assets to be acquired by Disney[edit]

Included in the deal are the majority of 21st Century Fox's entertainment, international and regional sports assets.[1] These include:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad