Monthly News Thread (May 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm just going with the consensus that when something is posted in this thread without a source, we are to assume it's from Meltzer. Maybe it wasn't him.

Oh, I think we usually cite Meltzer/WOR/Observer and PWI, and anybody else is just whoever. Cageside posts stuff too and doesn’t always cite where they heard it. Although they go back and check it 6 months later.

Meltzer generally doesn’t report on stuff regarding booking and I don’t think PWI does either.

Reactions: Hypernova

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I don’t think he’s the one who said it.

People confuse what Meltzer hears with what Meltzer thinks may happen. They are not one in the same.
It was Meltzer iirc, although cageside was the one who said he’d become a more ruthless character again after ditching English and Rusev Day.

I’d rather just keep Rusev face ugh. Babyface Rusev vs. Joe. I want that.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Watch Summerslam be 6 hours and next Wrestlemania be 8 with the pre-show starting at 4 and ending at 12.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Watch Summerslam be 6 hours and next Wrestlemania be 8 with the pre-show starting at 4 and ending at 12.
Summerslam has been 6 hours at least the last 2 years

It was Meltzer iirc, although cageside was the one who said he’d become a more ruthless character again after ditching English and Rusev Day.

I’d rather just keep Rusev face ugh. Babyface Rusev vs. Joe. I want that.

I listen to every show he does for F4W/WON I don’t recall that ever coming up. They just talked about what looked to be the set up when they did that promo 2 weeks ago

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They don’t, they want investors and sponsors to think they do.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Matches for the first round of the UK thing:

Jack Gallagher vs Drew Gulak - was taped with NXT
Ashton Smith vs Joseph Conners
Flash Morgan Webster vs James Drake
Kenny Williams vs Dave Mastiff
El Ligero vs Travis Banks
Zack Gibson vs Amir Jordan
Tucker vs. Joe Coffey
Tyson T-Bone vs Jordan Devlin

These will happen at Download in June.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
And the quality suffers too making the show even more unbearable when it's not going well. I hate how WWE thinks people want to spend their entire day watching their shows when most sports know that about 2-3 hours at a time is enough.
It's why they keep extending show lengths. They can show investors that subscribers are watching x amount of minutes more than previous quarter, even though that's only because of the extreme length of PPVs. They're just going to keep extending it, because aside from PPVs, there's not much they can offer in terms of getting a casual to watch.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Interesting tidbit -

apparently back in 2015 when AJ Lee tweeted at Stephanie for her hypocrisy about women's wages, Vince McMahon sat Stephanie down and told her not to lash out or respond negatively and that there would be no on-screen punishment or depushing for AJ Lee because it would make WWE look bad and it was a losing battle. Stephanie eventually responded to AJ Lee, thanking her for her opinion on Twitter.

The tweets were:

Stephanie McMahon: Thank You @PattyArquette for having the courage to fight for #WomensRights on such a grand platform. #UseYourVoice pic.twitter.com/q71acxMExU

AJ Lee: @StephMcMahon Your female wrestlers have record selling merchandise & have starred in the highest rated segment of the show several times, And yet they receive a fraction of the wages & screen time of the majority of the male roster. #UseYourVoice

Stephanie McMahon: Thank you @WWEAJLee, I appreciate your opinion. #UseYourVoice

Dave was apparently using this story as an example to say WWE talents have more power than they think in the sense that if they unionized or even fought for it, WWE would cave and cover stuff like paid travel (hotels, cars, etc.)

Last edited:

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
It's why they keep extending show lengths. They can show investors that subscribers are watching x amount of minutes more than previous quarter, even though that's only because of the extreme length of PPVs. They're just going to keep extending it, because aside from PPVs, there's not much they can offer in terms of getting a casual to watch.

Hmm is this why fast forwarding sucks so much on the network? They intentionally make it shitty so you have to watch the whole thing.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Interesting tidbit -

apparently back in 2015 when AJ Lee tweeted at Stephanie for her hypocrisy about women's wages, Vince McMahon sat Stephanie down and told her not to lash out or respond negatively and that there would be no on-screen punishment or depushing for AJ Lee because it would make WWE look bad and it was a losing battle. Stephanie eventually responded to AJ Lee, thanking her for her opinion on Twitter.

The tweets were:

Stephanie McMahon: Thank You @PattyArquette for having the courage to fight for #WomensRights on such a grand platform. #UseYourVoice pic.twitter.com/q71acxMExU

AJ Lee: @StephMcMahon Your female wrestlers have record selling merchandise & have starred in the highest rated segment of the show several times, And yet they receive a fraction of the wages & screen time of the majority of the male roster. #UseYourVoice

Stephanie McMahon: Thank you @WWEAJLee, I appreciate your opinion. #UseYourVoice

Dave was apparently using this story as an example to say WWE talents have more power than they think in the sense that if they unionized or even fought for it, WWE would cave and cover stuff like paid travel (hotels, cars, etc.)

WWE not covering travel or hospitality is so odd to me.

Like, from a business stand point, I guess good for WWE they don't need to pay that cost, but from my personal business stand point, how in the world do they get away with not paying, at least the travel. Like, at least an allowance to cover a cheap rental car and hotel and if the talent wanted upgraded accomadations they can pay the difference.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
WWE not covering travel or hospitality is so odd to me.

Like, from a business stand point, I guess good for WWE they don't need to pay that cost, but from my personal business stand point, how in the world do they get away with not paying, at least the travel. Like, at least an allowance to cover a cheap rental car and hotel and if the talent wanted upgraded accomadations they can pay the difference.
The talent write it off at the end of the year. They're allowed to do it because of the whole "independent contractor" thing, whereas referees, ring crew, production, etc. are employees and get all that paid for.

I wouldn't be surprised if they started paying it a bit more with these new TV deals.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Someone better check out the new tax laws Vince’s pal and Linda’s employer signed off on, because writing stuff off became a lot harder.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Big Cass is legitimately using crutches and is scheduled to see a Doctor to determine if he needs another ACL surgery.

If he does he’ll miss at least, another 6 months

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Big Cass is legitimately using crutches and is scheduled to see a Doctor to determine if he needs another ACL surgery.

If he does he’ll miss at least, another 6 months

He hurt it in Amsterdam but I haven't seen what happened.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
WWE posted a video on their YouTube channel of Kevin Owens taking the Social Media persons camera/phone and recording video at ringside with it at a Live Event, during he and Sami’s, Joe’s, Lashley’s, Braun’s and Roman’s entrances.

During the video you can hear the crowd here and there with the exception of one entrance where you can hear the entire crowd.

When they were chanting “Go Home” at Roman Reigns during his entrance

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
WWE PPVs will now officially be 4 hours moving forward, starting at 7pm. The big shows will be at least 5 hours, but they'll also be starting at 7pm...

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
He hurt it in Amsterdam but I haven't seen what happened.
On the tour he was doing a bit where he'd leave the match injured each night, so that could have been covering for a real injury.

Sucks to go down right away when you're just coming back. Especially when it'll be a second push being derailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->