WWE: Monday Night Raw part 165: Mania sign pointing and impressed with Aries' package

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Heel Bálor is not a good financial move right now.

It's better for Balor personality wise but from a financial standpoint it is really dumb at the moment. There is so much money to be made on his merchandise because of the Demon branding.

That's true but you make this type of decision with the intent of reaping the rewards down the road. If you bring Balor in with the sole intent on making merch money off his demon gimmick, it'll get old and dry up fast. And if you don't get him over to a high degree, it will limit his earning potential. The sad reality of wrestling is that you generally won't reach that earning potential w/o getting over as a heel. There are exceptions and Finn may end up being one but I don't think he has the tools for it.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Crowd isn't gonna want to boo a guy who just returned from a serious injury that cost him his title.

WWE clearly doesn't care who the crowd does and doesn't cheer for. See: Reigns, Roman.

Also this is literally the exact same thing they did with Rollins. Crowd eventually boo'd him...sorta.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
WWE clearly doesn't care who the crowd does and doesn't cheer for. See: Reigns, Roman.

Also this is literally the exact same thing they did with Rollins. Crowd eventually boo'd him...sorta.

The difference is that Rollins was an established main event player. Both had devastating injuries that forced them to relinquish the title but Balor is not a known commodity among the WWE audience overall. If Balor was at that level, I'd be against it but he's not. He's still a new act so there's still flexibility with how you present him to influence the audience. There is no appetite from the audience to cheer or boo Balor right now. There was an obvious one for Rollins. That's the difference.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It depends what kind of crowd you bring him back in front of. Brooklyn or Philly are going to care about it a hell of a lot more than Dayton, Ohio.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It depends what kind of crowd you bring him back in front of. Brooklyn or Philly are going to care about it a hell of a lot more than Dayton, Ohio.

Finn is pretty damn over. His demon entrance was able to get a pop out of Corpus Christie, no easy feat.

Detroit was chanting for him last night briefly as well despite not even being in the building.

RAW also is really lacking in credible faces. There is definitely money to be made with a heel Finn at some point, but right now with the current roster makeup, keeping him face makes more sense.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Finn is pretty damn over. His demon entrance was able to get a pop out of Corpus Christie, no easy feat.

Detroit was chanting for him last night briefly as well despite not even being in the building.

RAW also is really lacking in credible faces. There is definitely money to be made with a heel Finn at some point, but right now with the current roster makeup, keeping him face makes more sense.

I don't think it's reasonable to gauge how over Finn is based on a span of about a month. The gimmick was fresh. The entrance was fresh. In time when that wears off, where is he then? If he's sitting there as a face, you're going to get a lot more of the reactions that MCG gives than otherwise because he's plain as a good guy.

As for lacking credible faces, the reason why they're lacking credible faces is that in most cases right now they refuse to go down the proper route to obtain them. Reigns is not a credible face because of how he's booked. Zayn is not a credible face because they refuse to put any real resources into him. Seth is really the only one they have. Jericho probably would be if it wasn't for the fact that I think he's leaving. In this situation, they're best doing a Finn-Seth summer story that is intertwined with Zayn, Joe, KO, and probably Reigns as it can build credible faces with the fallout if done properly.

But knowing them, their face shortage is going to be solved by unnecessarily sticking Finn in a role that is going to go lame after a while then use the draft to siphon off a top face there to alleviate the problem whether it's Styles, Orton, Cena, or Wyatt or whoever they want.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Trust me, I want Finn as a heel but the company never does anything with the intention of making money down the road when it comes to these things. They're all about making money now.

I fully expect to be hating on Finn's blandness within a month again.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Not everyone watched Balor in NXT + NJPW. For a very large part, if not a majority, of the audience, he's a fresh and unknown character. With a set of new opponents instead of having to feud with Samoa Joe for a year, Finn definitely has some months as a successful face. Not that I don't want heel jacket Balor + The Club as champions group of course.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Trust me, I want Finn as a heel but the company never does anything with the intention of making money down the road when it comes to these things. They're all about making money now.

I fully expect to be hating on Finn's blandness within a month again.

I expect the same but my argument is more about what the best thing for them to do with Finn is and what is likely the most entertaining potential. lol

It'd be nice to have a heel wrestling group be the focal point of Raw instead of Steph and Trips. I don't mind their presence once in a while but Mick, Trips, and Steph shouldn't be main players.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I read this like 40 times before realizing you were saying "A" show. :facepalm: :laugh:

Me: "A show? A show? What's a show? Huh?"
dBA3e8Q.jpg

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If Bork takes the title off Goldberg at Mania (highly probable) who's gonna take the title off Bork?

My guess is Roman -especially if WWE does the unthinkable and puts him over Taker

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
WWE needs top level baby faces BADLY and Finn is arguably the most universally liked one on either roster.

People were begging for a Rollins face turn, it's been over 6 months and he just now since his promo at Takeover is getting to where he needs to be as a top face. RR is floundering as the #1 guy, Cena is a part timer and there are still some people that don't like him. Jericho should be in the conversation, but he's got one foor out the door. Who's next, Sami Zayn? Luke Harper? Uggh.

Finn has so many things that WWE so desperately needs, it's a shame he's not 5 years younger or they'd give him the whole company. But he sold boatloads of merch in NXT and was a huge draw for them. They would be insane to turn him now.

Ideally Finn gets the Roman push, Roman turns heel for a year or two, and by the time Finn is winding down you pull the trigger on Roman and fans will be much more willing to accept him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad