Speculation: Monahan forward most likely dealt first

Status
Not open for further replies.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
That's 5.5m for a 39 goal scorer though.

I worked out a few trades tonight;

Winnipeg - Monahan, Barron

Montreal - Colby Barlow, 2024 2nd round pick (Montreal’s), 2024 3rd round pick.

If it’s Edmonton:

To Edmonton: Sean Monahan, David Savard (50 percent retained)

To Montreal: Dylan Holloway, reunite from Winconsin days. 2025 2 round pick, 2024 1st round pick

If it’s New York Rangers:

To New York: Sean Monohan

To Montreal: Gabe Perrault
These are all overly optmistic for Montreal, or just don't fit with other team needs.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Kind of what I thought. I am guessing most Ranger fans share your sentiment, whereas most Habs fans would think i'm nuts for wanting to makes such a move.
totally understood. Most Habs fans don't watch Hartford Wolfpack games like most Ranger fans don't watch Laval games. Berard has been probably the best young player for the AHL Wolfpack team.

These are all overly optmistic for Montreal, or just don't fit with other team needs.
I am shocked the Rangers would turn down trading probably the best player in college hockey this year. Surely one of the best freshman in the NCAA.

Reactions: Eegs

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Question is if he is actually great great defensively and offensively or if this information is as accurate like one about him being almost PPG.
Yeah, right. Nice try. OVERALL this year he's at .724/ppg. And over the last 10 games, he's at 1.2/ppg. I'd say near ppg is more than fair comment. Especially since he's played with an assortment of terrible wingers for the most part and minor leaguers. You probably are completely unaware that we've had almost our entire 2nd and 3rd lines out with long-term injuries.

Lastly, I do watch him play, you? Exactly how many games this year have you watched Mony in? If you don't watch him play, you're really not in any credible position to debate about how he's playing. Common sense 101. Which always goes out the window when non-Hab fans discuss Hab players on HFBoards.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I'm not talking about guys with a year or two left.

There's no pending center free agents in 2025 either save maybe Giroux if the sens are really throwing in the towel for next year too. Granlund has failed as a deadline acquisition multiple times and is more of a winger. I could see maybe Seattle trading gourde for a haul but that's about it.

There are zero centers on expiring summer of 2026 contracts that aren't on teams that will be buyers.

If you actually looked at this deadline and the next two it's very slim pickings as all the good free agents are on playoff teams.
lol I guess were going to move goal posts now...

"players with term don't get moved"

*lists players with term that were moved with very little searching*

"but players with longer term then those don't get moved"

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Uhhhh?

Hertl and Couture exist. Both are known to be excellent in the playoffs.

Are you serious? Couture is signed for 4 more years, Hertl is signed for 7 more goddamn years both at over $8 million at year. You think a contender is just gonna squeeze those guys in there? What in the hell are you talking about?

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
3 way trade…. Get all the asset for Monahan you want, and give it all to Anaheim for Zegras. Or another playerthat could be the best thing

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Kind of what I thought. I am guessing most Ranger fans share your sentiment, whereas most Habs fans would think i'm nuts for wanting to makes such a move.
I have never ever heard of the kid lmao, after looking him up id easily take the 1st over him

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
519 (1).jpg

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Scouts are paid to not have a biased eye and they still use analytics extensively.
My point blasted way over your head like WPG jet. Dude here is saying Monahan sucks due to analytics alone. He doesn't even watch him play. Sorry, us that watch every game, are not going to be gaslighted by this crap. I'm no homer and call it like I see it. If he sucked, like these dumb stats say, I'd have no problem admitting it. I fight with my own fanbase regarding other players, like WiFI for example, who I love as a prospect, but truth be told he's terrible this year. I also have no problem saying a player like Jake Allen has as close to zero value as you cant get. Or that I think Matheson is a dumpster fire. But no BS numbers on a sheet of paper are going to convince me to say Monahan sucks when it's crystal clear to anyone not biased and/or dumb as fck, that he's been an absolutely gem of a player in every facet of the game this year. And if and when he's traded, he'll get closer value to what I'm saying than what stat-sluts are saying. And that's why teams will NEVER rely on stats only to scout players. Because they in essence agree with my take. Not DD's.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
lol I guess were going to move goal posts now...

"players with term don't get moved"

*lists players with term that were moved with very little searching*

"but players with longer term then those don't get moved"
?? You are the one moving goalposts. My post was that Monahan is one of very few guys available and you stated more will be available at the deadline and I am simply pointing out that no, that is not the case. It's ok to be wrong like you are right now.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Are you serious? Couture is signed for 4 more years, Hertl is signed for 7 more goddamn years both at over $8 million at year. You think a contender is just gonna squeeze those guys in there? What in the hell are you talking about?
Boston is just one potential destination. I hope you understand that contract retention is an option.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
?? You are the one moving goalposts. My post was that Monahan is one of very few guys available and you stated more will be available at the deadline and I am simply pointing out that no, that is not the case. It's ok to be wrong like you are right now.
"I mean when you say centers on the market you are literally only talking about Monahan and maybe henrique. There's seven or eight teams looking to buy with less than five worthwhile players available"

you claimed that monahan and maybe henrique were the only one's on the market....

I said that more players always come available closer to the deadline....

"Except when you look at the pending free agents there are not more players available even on fringe teams. Nobody trades for term at the deadline."

I listed 6 players with term that have been traded recently at/near the deadline

you then tried to change it to players with more term then what I had listed don't get traded....

I'm sorry but you are the one clearly trying to move the goal posts....

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Boston is just one potential destination. I hope you understand that contract retention is an option.
Retention of large amounts or over long periods gets very expensive, asset-wise. Hertl and Couture are fine players but those contracts are serious anchors.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Retention of large amounts or over long periods gets very expensive, asset-wise. Hertl and Couture are fine players but those contracts are serious anchors.
They truly aren't. There's a reason why other fanbases have shown interest. Couture at 50% retention is a VERY valuable asset. Hertl likely wouldn't get 50% retention, but again, he's a very valuable asset.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
"I mean when you say centers on the market you are literally only talking about Monahan and maybe henrique. There's seven or eight teams looking to buy with less than five worthwhile players available"

you claimed that monahan and maybe henrique were the only one's on the market....

I said that more players always come available closer to the deadline....

"Except when you look at the pending free agents there are not more players available even on fringe teams. Nobody trades for term at the deadline."

I listed 6 players with term that have been traded recently at/near the deadline

you then tried to change it to players with more term then what I had listed don't get traded....

I'm sorry but you are the one clearly trying to move the goal posts....
Now your argument is pedantic and unsubstantiated based on your interpretation of my prose. There are no players comparable to Monahan available who are free agents this year, next year, or the following year after that. If you don't have anything else to add you're spamming for the sake of it. You didn't refute a single point in any of your posts.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah, right. Nice try. OVERALL this year he's at .724/ppg. And over the last 10 games, he's at 1.2/ppg. I'd say near ppg is more than fair comment. Especially since he's played with an assortment of terrible wingers for the most part and minor leaguers. You probably are completely unaware that we've had almost our entire 2nd and 3rd lines out with long-term injuries.

Lastly, I do watch him play, you? Exactly how many games this year have you watched Mony in? If you don't watch him play, you're really not in any credible position to debate about how he's playing. Common sense 101. Which always goes out the window when non-Hab fans discuss Hab players on HFBoards.
He would need to improve by 40% to reach PPG. In other words he is as close to PPG as 100 point player is close to being 140 points player. I was not debating his level of play linemates or whatever i was just commenting on your clearly incorrect statement about simle statistical fact.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Now your argument is pedantic and unsubstantiated based on your interpretation of my prose. There are no players comparable to Monahan available who are free agents this year, next year, or the following year after that. If you don't have anything else to add you're spamming for the sake of it. You didn't refute a single point in any of your posts.
lol. I guess listing players with term that got traded at the deadline isn't refuting your claim that players with term don't get traded at the deadline... I guess that's considered spamming now...

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
They truly aren't. There's a reason why other fanbases have shown interest. Couture at 50% retention is a VERY valuable asset. Hertl likely wouldn't get 50% retention, but again, he's a very valuable asset.
Please post the last $8 million dollar contract that a team retained on for multiple years which was moved at the deadline. They are VERY valuable so there should be plenty of examples.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Please post the last $8 million dollar contract that a team retained on for multiple years which was moved at the deadline. They are VERY valuable so there should be plenty of examples.
Why do you need an example? What a weird take.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Going on the principle that 7M in cap for 1 year (let's call that 7CY) is worth a first round pick, retaining 50% on Couture's deal would be 12CY in total, so worth close to 2 1st rounders. Taking cap inflation into account, that's a 1st and a 2nd. And that's before considering what Couture, as a player, is actually worth to whoever gets him...

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I have never ever heard of the kid lmao, after looking him up id easily take the 1st over him
You've never heard of him, so obviously never seen him play. I've followed him closely since he was one of the youngest players selected in his draft.

Scouting via box scores and counting stats is not the full story with this player.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Why do you need an example? What a weird take.
Because it doesn't happen, nobody is gonna pay what it costs for 4 years of retention on a broken Couture. And NOBODY is gonna do it for 7 years of Hertl, it's so ridiculous it borders on insanity to discuss it at length.

You're being a Shark homer and clogging up the thread. Those guys will still be Sharks at the end of the deadline. Absolutely no question about it.

• Haha
Reactions: Groo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad