Confirmed with Link: Monahan + 1st traded to MTL

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I love Sean and wish him all the best but I don’t see a huge bounce back. Suzuki is their 1C, I tend to think Dach will get 2C minutes. Mony will likely be 3C at best and that’s assuming Dvorak is moved.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I wonder if the best thing for Monahan will be for him to actually be moved to the wing now that he's on a new team. Unfortunately I can't see it happening since Montreal is so loaded on the wing (loaded in terms of bodies), but for longevity, marketability, and chances to play up the lineup the flexibility to play wing would be a big thing for him. Montreal just isn't an ideal spot for him to bounceback anyways tho.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Monahan was a big enough body with a decent shot to bang in 30+ goals a year with a superstar playmaker like Gaudreau. I liked his community efforts and he was a part of numerous dynamic stretches of games as our first line C. I always called him Linden light.

Whatever the case, I wish him well. He did score a heck of a lot of goals for us. Just wish Brad had traded him a year or two into this last contract of his while his league-wide perception was still relatively high. In a way it feels similar (minus the injuries) to Iggy's final contract with us- he potted 30+ goals per season but I felt his jam was long gone.

I hope he proves me wrong in Montreal and is a stud there. I'd gladly eat my words. Most of all good health and en enjoyable time there.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This was worth the cost of a first. Gave space for the Kadri signing, who has always been the better player and playoff performer.

Wish nothing but the best for Monahan. He was a warrior, never complained, just went through some really tough injuries here. I hope he has a great year in Montreal.

You know much we as Flames fans loved him when most I see around here will miss him more than the star wingers we lost.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I've heard this from many Flames fans.

Why didn't you like him when he was producing? Tunnel vision? Did he turn the puck over a lot and shank so many plays that it didn't make up for the production? His stats looked good on paper.

Could he not have been a useful goal scoring winger in his healthy prime?

I think other posters nailed it.

As your 1C you want a guy who can control play, and make other teams game plan around them. Even in his best years, opponents game plans against Calgary was simply double team Gaudreau, make his life hard; and that line wouldn’t produce. As you can tell by playoff scoring for both Monahan and Gaudreau (outside of this year). A below average puck carrier, someone who never learned the actual intricacies of playing centre in the NHL in terms of defensive responsibilities.

There’s a distinct reason him and Gaudreau were putting up massive numbers for this team yet negative +/- and below 50% possession numbers; for like 6-7 years.

Just not a player I dig. One year away from Monahan, with a defensive stalwart in Lindholm who can also push the puck, and he puts up a career year.

Reactions: 26Mats

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I've heard this from many Flames fans.

Why didn't you like him when he was producing? Tunnel vision? Did he turn the puck over a lot and shank so many plays that it didn't make up for the production? His stats looked good on paper.

Could he not have been a useful goal scoring winger in his healthy prime?

There are a lot of stupid Flames fans, probably the same for every fanbase. Monahan despite being nothing but great when healthy for the Flames was always a whipping boy because fans were reluctant to criticize the golden boy Gaudreau so had to be overly critical of Monahan.

Then when Lindholm came in peopke wanted to hope he was the solution even though Monahan was clearly the better player.

Don’t get me wrong injuries killed Monahan so he was not effective the last couple of seasons. But when healthy he was great and not any near to deserving of the criticism he got.

Reactions: Nevins and 26Mats

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
There are a lot of stupid Flames fans, probably the same for every fanbase. Monahan despite being nothing but great when healthy for the Flames was always a whipping boy because fans were reluctant to criticize the golden boy Gaudreau so had to be overly critical of Monahan.
lol what
Then when Lindholm came in peopke wanted to hope he was the solution even though Monahan was clearly the better player
LOL what :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Best part of this trade was that it meant the beginning of the end of the insipid cult of Monahan.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
lol what

LOL what :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Best part of this trade was that it meant the beginning of the end of the insipid cult of Monahan.

Respecting what a quality player brought the team is not a cult.

Much better than the :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: who bashed him for no reason and tried to blame him for everything. They were repeatedly shown to be wrong but didn’t let facts get in the way of their BS narrative.

• Haha
Reactions: super6646

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Does that really matter? His cap would already be down to like $5M at the end of December.

As a Habs fan myself.... :biglaugh:😂😂
not significantly but I always kind of hope that when a team is living on LTIR cap space it would be fun to have the guys come back early to screw the team over

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
not significantly but I always kind of hope that when a team is living on LTIR cap space it would be fun to have the guys come back early to screw the team over
I get it. It would be funny. HuGo has been pretty smart though. They weren't spending any of it until his prognosis came out.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Respecting what a quality player brought the team is not a cult.

Much better than the :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: who bashed him for no reason and tried to blame him for everything. They were repeatedly shown to be wrong but didn’t let facts get in the way of their BS narrative.
You might be remembering a certain devils fan who probably won't be back her now that Johnny is gone.

Khrox

May 31, 2018

That is obviously something someone who WAS Boring Sean Monahan would say.

I honestly lean towards the "it was multiple people" theory, so that they all had plausible deniability. Wouldn't be surprised if Big Ern was a part of it, given how close him and Monahan were (including being road roomies and such).

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You might be remembering a certain devils fan who probably won't be back her now that Johnny is gone.
Naah, I'll still visit from time to time. Hard to follow a team for the better part of w decade and not enjoy some of their players.

Then when Lindholm came in peopke wanted to hope he was the solution even though Monahan was clearly the better player.

Don’t get me wrong injuries killed Monahan so he was not effective the last couple of seasons. But when healthy he was great and not any near to deserving of the criticism he got.
Lindholm was always better than Monahan, even before coming to Calgary. I was on record saying it back then. He just didn't have a Gaudreau to boost him.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Right now, Monahan has more pts than Huberdeau and 1 less than Kadri. Not that I expected that, but dumb as hell trade was dumb as hell.

Peak Calgary Flames on this one.

Reactions: MM917 and Nevins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad