Confirmed with Link: Monahan + 1st traded to MTL

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Wow didn't see this one coming! Feels like we robbed you guys a little here - hope Kadri works out for ya!

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Uhhh someone want to try explaining that condition lol

Easiest way is to find a flow chart with the approximately 7 different out comes. Lol.

It's hard to understand in point form.

The highest odds though is that Montreal gets either a pick in 2024 between 20-32 or a pick in 2025 at 11-32. The remaining options only happen in the low likelihood that both calgary AND Florida crap the bed at the same time in 2024.

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
ECA67B92-71CF-4265-82E5-1AF16F54ACC7.png

😭

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
The whole idea of MTL having to move cap out to add Monahan makes no sense to me. Why are we trying monahan to a team that cant even take him unless the habs specifically asks for him. And if they asked for him, why are we adding a 1st to do this?
Price going on LTIR...most likely to miss entire season. Cap room is now available.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
As you all know, I am and will continue to be a massive fan of Sean Monahan. At the end of the day, I can understand management's decision to not want to take the risk in seeing if Sean could bounce back this upcoming season with the way the roster is currently constructed and the window we currently have open. There is absolutely no denying that as of today Nazem Kadri is a massive and undeniable upgrade, and that we are by far a better team today as a result of this trade. I want to see Monahan succeed. He's a true warrior and professional, and deserves the opportunity to play big minutes to keep his career alive. Although I am not sure Montreal is all that great of a fit for him personally as they really lack high end talent and playmakers. Best of luck #23.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
As you all know, I am and will continue to be a massive fan of Sean Monahan. At the end of the day, I can understand management's decision to not want to take the risk in seeing if Sean could bounce back this upcoming season with the way the roster is currently constructed and the window we currently have open. There is absolutely no denying that as of today Nazem Kadri is a massive and undeniable upgrade, and that we are by far a better team today as a result of this trade. I want to see Monahan succeed. He's a true warrior and professional, and deserves the opportunity to play big minutes to keep his career alive. Although I am not sure Montreal is all that great of a fit for him personally as they really lack high end talent and playmakers. Best of luck #23.
Great post HLM, agreed on accounts. You won’t find a better person than Mony around and he deserves a ton of respect and credit for everything he accomplished and endured during his time as a Flame.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
One of my least favourite players ever.

I appreciate how much he put his body through for this team, but I was never going to be a fan of the player himself on how he played the game.

Oddly enough, in 2013 I was screaming for Lindholm and Val Nichushkin; I feel big brained about that :laugh:

Best of luck Sean in resurrecting your career, I hope you stay healthy enough to both play hockey professionally but also live a healthy life outside of the sport.

Reactions: Tofveve

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I appreciate how much he put his body through for this team, but I was never going to be a fan of the player himself on how he played the game.

Oddly enough, in 2013 I was screaming for Lindholm and Val Nichushkin; I feel big brained about that :laugh:

Best of luck Sean in resurrecting your career, I hope you stay healthy enough to both play hockey professionally but also live a healthy life outside of the sport.
I think I was also pretty vocal about Lindy and Nuke. Still love Sean though, appreciate everything he did here.

Reactions: Volica

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Were Monahan skipping summer training or something? A first? I guess he's not projected as fit to play games from the start of the season. But you guys could have waited a half a season for him to catch up in that case.

Trade never would have included a first if there was no Kadri situation. Wanting Kadri right now.

Just MAYBE this is part signal to the organization that the slow rebuild is out the window.

Also take into account the trade might have been at the trading deadline.

Also frees the Flames from feeling the pressure to sign him later. Maybe a management move to save themselves from something.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I've heard this from many Flames fans.

Why didn't you like him when he was producing? Tunnel vision? Did he turn the puck over a lot and shank so many plays that it didn't make up for the production? His stats looked good on paper.

Could he not have been a useful goal scoring winger in his healthy prime?

Last edited:

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
I've heard this from my Flames fans.

Why didn't you like him when he was producing? Tunnel vision? Did he turn the puck over a lot and shank so many plays that it didn't make up for the production? His stats looked good on paper.

He is fine if you are expecting him to park himself 10 feet in front of the net and wait for passes. Not much moving around to get open.

New here?

Tough to train when you’re recovering from surgery.

This marks something like six surgeries in the past three off seasons.
He is skating 4 times a week right now.

Reactions: 26Mats

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I've heard this from many Flames fans.

He was a winger masquerading as a centerman because he could win draws. And he would have done better had he been put on the wing, but the shitty coaches the Flames kept hiring kept him at center, where his enter game devolved into waiting in the slot for a pass while Gaudreau did all the heavy lifting. And so when he wasn't scoring he was giving you almost nothing else because there was nothing else in his game.

Now with his injuries, I really don't see much of a future career. His wrists seem to be shot and he's had surgery on both hips. With how bad & slow of a skater he was before. . . it's hard to see him sticking around. Maybe if he's appropriately sheltered as a winger he might be able to carve out a few more years as a depth scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad