Modern soccer is not funny to watch

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thats more my point.. Bulgaria would never make a main tournament in hockey while Netherlands are a legit contender. So if the 16th ranked nation in soccer won it all.. I don't think anyone would be that shocked? I cannot fathom Bulgaria winning the best on best Olympics in hockey. Ironically, Great Britain had a decent team the World's in hockey... I think they may have snuck in a tie or a win? However, the odds of them winning the Hockey World Championships is pretty slim to none. In hockey, it'd be a major upset if the 6th ranked Czechs won a tournament.
A) FIFA rankings are pretty worthless

B) it's a much wider talent pool in football. The best football NT isn't better than the 10th best by anywhere near as much as the best hockey NT over the 10th best hockey NT. And that's true for any iteration of 1-5 v 10-40 between the two sports.

member 305909

Sport always develops and therefore gets better. If it was possible to have a time-machine so that teams of different eras would meet at their peak today's teams would totally outclass the teams of the past but today's teams would be totally outclassed by the teams of the future.

France 2018 would make minced meat out of Brazil 1970 but Brazil 2056 would destroy France 2018.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Sport always develops and therefore gets better. If it was possible to have a time-machine so that teams of different eras would meet at their peak today's teams would totally outclass the teams of the past but today's teams would be totally outclassed by the teams of the future.

France 2018 would make minced meat out of Brazil 1970 but Brazil 2056 would destroy France 2018.
Unfortunately, better does not always mean more entertaining.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Thats more my point.. Bulgaria would never make a main tournament in hockey while Netherlands are a legit contender. So if the 16th ranked nation in soccer won it all.. I don't think anyone would be that shocked? I cannot fathom Bulgaria winning the best on best Olympics in hockey. Ironically, Great Britain had a decent team the World's in hockey... I think they may have snuck in a tie or a win? However, the odds of them winning the Hockey World Championships is pretty slim to none. In hockey, it'd be a major upset if the 6th ranked Czechs won a tournament.

It would be a major upset for sure, but Bulgaria has won them in the past so it's not completely unthinkable even in hockey.

Sometimes unlikely things not explainable by depth alone occur in sports, in hockey Belarus made the semifinals with arguably the worst team in the tournament in 2002, or in soccer New Zealand was the only undefeated World Cup team in 2010.

member 305909

Some people just can't be pleased.

When in 1994 after all those years of disappointments Brazil finally won the World Cup there were many people in Brazil who didn't like the team at all saying it was boring.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Some people just can't be pleased.

When in 1994 after all those years of disappointments Brazil finally won the World Cup there were many people in Brazil who didn't like the team at all saying it was boring.

That their national team is to play samba football should be written into the Brazilian constitution and non-compliance should be grounds for high treason, imo.

Reactions: Eisen

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
There are way too many goals on random deflections, or "own goals" as it's called in football (as if anyone would want to score on their own goal).

There's been way too many own goals in this tourney. It's not pleasant for the eye.

Heard people raving about the 1st half of the Belgium vs Italy game tonight, so I tuned in for the 2nd half, and wow... that was some straight up ugly shit to watch. Belgium were sloppy as hell, and the Italian players were dying like flies left and right during the last 20–25 minutes of the game. It looked like Sgt. Elias' death scene from Platoon on constant repeat...

Reactions: blkhawk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad