Modern soccer is not funny to watch

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Football today feels kinda generic. I see some of the same tendencies, a lot of pin-balling & deflections, as in hockey. It's probably even worse in football. From what I've seen so far this tourney, it's a lot of that. You've gotta miss a virtuoso like Bergkamp.

Also, why aren't Serbia in the tourney? Do they suck so much nowadays?

I watched the Croatia vs Spain highlights, and despite all of the goals, it felt like watching a game between the Minnesota Wild and the Phoenix Coyotes, or something.

giphy.gif

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Football today feels kinda generic. I see some of the same tendencies, a lot of pin-balling & deflections, as in hockey. It's probably even worse in football. From what I've seen so far this tourney, it's a lot of that. You've gotta miss a virtuoso like Bergkamp.

Also, why aren't Serbia in the tourney? Do they suck so much nowadays?

I watched the Croatia vs Spain highlights, and despite all of the goals, it felt like watching a game between the Minnesota Wild and the Phoenix Coyotes, or something.

giphy.gif
Serbia have some individual talent but play lifeless football and no one misses them.

Reactions: Jussi

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Atleast since 2010 soccer have lost gigantic step in entertainment.

Todays game is all about running and passing. You hardly see any dribbling anymore, not much scoring chances and physical play is not allowed. It was not like this in the 90s and 2000-2010.

How do people enjoy the current game?

14 goals in two games today and non stop action: this aged like a wheel of gorgonzola marinating in the sewers of Kolkata in a 110F / 43C day.

Reactions: Jussi

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
14 goals in two games today and non stop action: this aged like a wheel of gorgonzola marinating in the sewers of Kolkata in a 110F / 43C day.

:laugh:

i just miss those dribbles we saw so often in the 90s. everything is so robotic today.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Today’s games were higher scoring than NHL games against Detroit or Buffalo.
That 5 sub rule has got to stay, fresher legs in the latter half of the game and less doggedly tired players.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Tbh international events usually have lower quality than domestic leagues in Europe but it's the raw energy and emotion from the fans, players, and personnel during these international events that make them so awesome

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
what is wrong with them? serbia has to be the "best" nation that underrachives. if their cousins croatia can figure things out so could serbia.
There are probably some Serbs that know better than me but i have watched a number of their qualifiers over the last few years and they are pedestrian. The whole is not equal to the sum of the parts...

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
I don't debate it's the greatest sport in the world mostly due to the fact that it's played all over the world and a LOT of nations are really good at it (unlike hockey which has 5 countries). It's also much more diverse and multicultural (unlike hockey). However, I find it a lot less exciting than hockey personally. Apples to Oranges, I know.

This is true that there are more countries that play and can be competitive but really...much like Hockey, it's usually about 6 teams that have a chance in the major tournaments.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
everything is so robotic today.

I tried to watch some highlights on YT from the games yesterday and came across a really weird penalty shot bird view angle that looked like something from a modern video game. First I couldn't tell if it was an actual video game or the real game. Robotic indeed.

I'm almost starting to believe the simulation theory.

That 5 sub rule has got to stay, fresher legs in the latter half of the game and less doggedly tired players.

Wait, is that actually a thing? Tired players are part of the charm. Players are supposed to get tired, because when players get tired they make mistakes and mistakes are part of the game, it opens up the game.

If we don't want tired players let's put everyone on steroids & blood transfusions and allow free substitutions.

but it's the raw energy and emotion from the fans, players, and personnel during these international events that make them so awesome

True, but globalism and this pandemic nonsense has killed some of that emotion. It almost feels like cheering on a corporation.

At least if there are different styles, you can still cheer on your preferred style. But now every team plays either generic millennial football or they're parking the bus.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
If Kevin De Bruyne is injured and out from the tournament it will suck even more. That guy can at least carry the ball himself on his feet without panicking after 5 metres.

Reactions: gary69

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This is true that there are more countries that play and can be competitive but really...much like Hockey, it's usually about 6 teams that have a chance in the major tournaments.
Maybe.. but as an example.. the Czechs just beat Holland.

That's the 40th ranked nation beating a Top 10 nation.

In hockey, that would be like Bermuda beating Slovakia.lol

Coincidentally, the Czechs tied Belgium in qualifying a couple of months ago... so that would be like Taiwan tying Canada in hockey.

It's much more even which is awesome! I wish hockey would get bigger and have more than 5 contenders and 4 pest like teams and then, literally, nothing.

Note: I know soccer rankings aren't 100 percent accurate and leave something to be desired but so do the hockey ones.

Reactions: JJ68

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Maybe.. but as an example.. the Czechs just beat Holland.

That's the 40th ranked nation beating a Top 10 nation.

In hockey, that would be like Bermuda beating Slovakia.lol

The Netherlands are ranked 16th, so the equivalent of Bulgaria beating Great Britain if we go by corresponding positions in the IIHF Ranking. Make of that what you will.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The Netherlands are ranked 16th, so the equivalent of Bulgaria beating Great Britain if we go by corresponding positions in the IIHF Ranking. Make of that what you will.
Thats more my point.. Bulgaria would never make a main tournament in hockey while Netherlands are a legit contender. So if the 16th ranked nation in soccer won it all.. I don't think anyone would be that shocked? I cannot fathom Bulgaria winning the best on best Olympics in hockey. Ironically, Great Britain had a decent team the World's in hockey... I think they may have snuck in a tie or a win? However, the odds of them winning the Hockey World Championships is pretty slim to none. In hockey, it'd be a major upset if the 6th ranked Czechs won a tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad