Modern soccer is not funny to watch

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Atleast since 2010 soccer have lost gigantic step in entertainment.

Todays game is all about running and passing. You hardly see any dribbling anymore, not much scoring chances and physical play is not allowed. It was not like this in the 90s and 2000-2010.

How do people enjoy the current game?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
International football always sucks. Everyone always complains about it every tournament. There's really nothing new here.
Less quality more emotion. This is what I get from international footy. Product is worse for sure but it strings the heart more. Imo

I watch this sport becusse it is art. Legit it’s chess you have to gain an appreciation for the little things in addition to the “skills”

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Football has never been better. Denmark's change of tactics today was masterful.. Wales ran them over early so they shifted to a back 4, got a goal from Dolberg and off they went. They won't be easy to beat for anyone.

Italy were made to work today... i would say its the best Austrian performance i have ever watched and my viewing of Austria goes back to 1990..They have typically underwhelmed on the big stage but they really played today ..I think a couple of subs after they went down 1 could have made a difference. Waited a bit too long

Reactions: Blender

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My favorite teams as a neutral to watch were the Brazil teams of the mid 2000’s. They would do all kinds of tricks and flicks that you don’t see much of now.

I wish we saw more of that. Now any player with some personality to how they try to play is looked down on and gets all types of criticism for not trying to play in straight lines.

Reactions: AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
A lot of modern coaches are all about repeating the same systematic movements, so players are afforded less freedom to be creative. Lots of modern coaches are control freaks who produce robotic football and remove unpredictability out of the game. Creative players are not as much of a priority anymore either. I agree that football has become less entertaining because of that, and players like Fabregas have talked about how football has become less fun to play because of not being afforded the same freedom anymore.

I really, really miss the football I got to watch every week under Wenger, I have not enjoyed football as much since he left. A lot of coaches need to watch this video, it's a piece of art. It's an attacking football education. Look at the speed and the off ball movement, it is like a hive mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eye of Ra and tlk

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Players today are so much better......just like every other sport.

I know that doesn't mean it's more entertaining, but they are better. I much prefer the NBA of the 80's to the game today, but athletically it's not even a contest.

Last edited:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I actually see less differences with soccer. Club soccer is faster and plays harder and I personally see more skill and more pace. Also can't imagine a team like Greece being able to shithouse their way to the final by defending now like they did in Euro 2004.

Hockey on the other hand, basically dead puck era 2.0 as soon as the playoffs kick off. Bettman/Campbell/Daly are an embarrassment.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So far this is the highest scoring Euros since 2000. Odd time to be complaining about "not much scoring chances".

Anyways, I strongly disagree with it not being entertaining right now, the average quality of players and the varying type of tactics being deployed has come a long way.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
This Euro has been so so so much better than 2016 was. 2016 was dire, this has so far been a really great tournament (2018 World Cup is the only recent one I recall as better).

Reactions: Blender

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't think the problem is athleticism or skill level, it's personality. Game is lacking great personalities. Doesn't help that Messi is boring as eff and everyone can tell Ronaldo is kind of a dick, but not an entertaining kind of dick. And the new younger players all look and act like their personalities got stunted as they spent their teens between the training ground and their Xbox.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I personally want my footballers to express themselves you know on the pitch…. Ya give me that “boring” every week please. A decade plus wasn’t enough

Reactions: JJ68

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Maybe you are colored by watching Sweden too much? :sarcasm:

Already 103 goals scored so far in this Euro - 2016 had 108 in all the tourney.
If we go back to 2008, even tho with less teams, we can go by Per match - 2008 had 2.48pm

2020 has 2.64pm so far.

1996 only had 2.06 Per match - Horribly boring tournament imo.
I remember the 90s as being all about defence - No flair - Yes it was more physical, but that’s it.
Just look at Italy 90, what a boring tournament as a neutral aswell.
Maybe WC 98 was the exception.

Think we tend to view the past thru rose tinted glasses.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Maybe you are colored by watching Sweden too much? :sarcasm:

Already 103 goals scored so far in this Euro - 2016 had 108 in all the tourney.
If we go back to 2008, even tho with less teams, we can go by Per match - 2008 had 2.48pm

2020 has 2.64pm so far.

1996 only had 2.06 Per match - Horribly boring tournament imo.
I remember the 90s as being all about defence - No flair - Yes it was more physical, but that’s it.
Just look at Italy 90, what a boring tournament as a neutral aswell.
Maybe WC 98 was the exception.

Think we tend to view the past thru rose tinted glasses.

I agree with Robespierre here. Rather than a decline in entertainment value, international soccer seems to go through different cycles in that regard. For instance the world cup of 2010 in SA was extremely boring not just with few goals but with few offensive chances in general and just four years later you have probably the most entertaining tournament in recent memory with spectacular upsets and much more entertainment value overall. This years Euro hasn't exactly blown my mind yet in the group stage but the knockout stage has been promising so far.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad