Confirmed with Link: MoAr D-Canes sign Caleb Jones

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Interesting……

you can’t say we don’t do anything at all anymore.. this isn’t the same as the days where we had to try to get ourselves psyched up about a big UFA splash of Alexei Ponikarovsky…

not only do we spend to the cap every year now.. we also create these interesting puzzles where we get to guess and try to figure out what the team is doing…. It’s not the guessing game of what we will do going into free agency with zero nhl goalies on the roster…. Now we have too many legit nhl d men that played meaningful minutes last year in the league and not enough spots on the roster for them all…. Not that we will be over the cap to keep them, we just aren’t allowed that many total player contracts on the active nhl roster…

it’s a great insurance signing if we do in fact trade one or both of Skjei/Pesce…. Given handedness it seems more of a protection for Skjei given the number of right d men on the rest of the roster versu the amount of native LD and how Brindy doesn’t really want guys to play their wrong hand / off side…. So jones would potentially have more of an in for the 3rd pair LD spot if we traded Skjei even though Chatfield played well for a few games with Burns…. Now if we trade both of Skjei/Pesce that leaves us moving Chatfield up with Orlov on the second pair with Jones/TDA as our 3rd pair…. Not quite as elite as playing Orlov/Chatfield as the 5/6 with TDA as the #7 dman, but it stupid to look at our roster with a d corp that is 9 players deep including Coghlan….

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Interesting……

you can’t say we don’t do anything at all anymore.. this isn’t the same as the days where we had to try to get ourselves psyched up about a big UFA splash of Alexei Ponikarovsky…
In hindsight, Ponikarovsky was probably one of the best UFA signing the Canes ever had.

NJ acquired left winger Alexei Ponikarovsky from the Carolina Hurricanes Friday night in a trade for minor-league defenseman Joe Sova and a fourth-round draft pick in 2012

With NJ Devil's 4th round pick, #120 OA, the Carolina Hurricanes select defenseman Jaccob Slavin of the Chicago Steel of the USHL.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Given handedness it seems more of a protection for Skjei given the number of right d men on the rest of the roster versu the amount of native LD and how Brindy doesn’t really want guys to play their wrong hand / off side….
I've heard/read this a number of times and I'm not sure it is actually true. If I recall, Rod, at one time, was quoted as saying that the Cup winning team had guys playing their offside and that, with a good defenseman, it wasn't that big of a deal. I'll look to see if I can find the quote....and maybe my memory is failing.

That said, I do believe that it was Bill Peters who was the strong advocated for guys playing on their natural side.

Reactions: DaveG

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
"However, not every NHL squad boasts the right mix of skaters to embrace the switch (i.e. teams with fewer than seven NHL-caliber defensemen)"

Those poor buggers.

giphy.gif

Those peasants. Get on our level.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Seems like this would be a you'll get a guaranteed 1-way contract and at the end of camp, we'll put you on waivers to see if you can get a full-time job anywhere. He might not even get assigned. But if he does, that's still good depth to call on. I thought he's looked decent.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Not super surprising. Jones is a more logical #8 than Coghlan, but perhaps they see more value in harvesting the latter for a future purpose.

Fight the urge to stare at the shiny new toy is the moral of the story. Skjei/Pesce wasn’t anymore expendable with Jones in the fold. Having to wait until August to get a near league minimum contract from a team that offered no shot of regular playing time says more about his value than any chart can.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Not super surprising. Jones is a more logical #8 than Coghlan, but perhaps they see more value in harvesting the latter for a future purpose.

Fight the urge to stare at the shiny new toy is the moral of the story. Skjei/Pesce wasn’t anymore expendable with Jones in the fold. Having to wait until August to get a near league minimum contract from a team that offered no shot of regular playing time says more about his value than any chart can.

Jones wasn't much of a "toy" LOL. He was a possible #8D or maybe 7D if they could find a trade for Skjei or Pesce that made sense. There was no forward offered who was worth screwing with the best defense in the league, so it's better to just run with it and find the forward at the deadline (potentially).

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Being a through-and-through Canes homer, I never watched Caleb Jones play in Chicago or Edmonton. I saw that one jfresh chart which made him look like a 2nd pairing, and I had humble expectations he could be a regular on our squad. But he also looked pretty awful in preseason.

It does reinforce the notion that jfresh's charts aren't particularly insightful. This is exacerbated when you are a D not taking highest competition on a bad team. Having a decent relative corsi or whatever does not mean you're a hidden gem.

On the one hand, it makes you wonder if our defense is so much better than other teams, that we have a higher expectation. For example, maybe Caleb Jones is an average #5 or #6 on a middling NHL squad, but on our squad, he just can't crack it. Another example might be Ian Cole, who I heard was a rock solid defensive #4 before coming over. He was solid, sure, but a slight net negative for me because of his penalties taken and complete lack of offensive skill. He was maybe a shade better than Brendan Smith, but Smith was also more of a "warrior" in the postseason.

However, a guy like Chatfield comes in and plays really freaking well. Chatfield couldn't crack Vancouver's top 6. DeAngelo is maybe another example of looking way better in Carolina than in Philly, but it's a little unfair if you pair with Slavin.

Perhaps what makes Canes defensemen click is if they have excellent speed and skating. Chat isn't great on offense but he skates like the wind and covers the whole rink. Tony isn't the fastest guy but he is elusive offensively and has great agility. Dougie Hamilton wasn't the fastest but he moved very well for a big man and his skating is absolutely elite. Probably the "worst" skater in our top 7 right now is Brett Pesce. I'm curious if he has in fact lost a step, or if he looks a touch slower by comparison to the others.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It could be all of that… it could also be that when you’re a system team that’s already 8 dmen deep, the odd man out is the guy who’s never played the system before.

We’re talking about a guy who was signed as an 8D and got passed by Coghlan. Which yes is embarrassing. But the whole situation is probably the fallout of thinking we’d trade away a dman and never doing that.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't see it as an LOL.

He was signed for depth at a league minimum in case either the Canes had injury or the Canes made a trade.

We all knew he wasn't beating out any of the top 7 as it stood today. Now that he's cleared, the Canes can choose to loan him to an AHL club and they'll have zero cap hit. Or if they decide to keep him in the press box, that cap hit is minimal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It could be all of that… it could also be that when you’re a system team that’s already 8 dmen deep, the odd man out is the guy who’s never played the system before.

We’re talking about a guy who was signed as an 8D and got passed by Coghlan. Which yes is embarrassing. But the whole situation is probably the fallout of thinking we’d trade away a dman and never doing that.

Probably splitting hairs saying he was signed as a #8 and got passed by Coghlan. Both were signed this year, Coghlan at $850K and Jones at $775K. I didn't see one being above the other in the pecking order and I didn't expect either seeing any significant playing time, barring injuries or a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad