OT: MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Belator etc...) Part 2

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don’t mind the weekly cards but they need to go back to the days when watching a PPV was a special event. Use the weekly card to grow talent but stack the PPV main card and only run 8 of those a year. Make them have set dates each year like May long weekend, 4th of July weekend, NYE etc...

They also need to cut out a few divisions like the woman’s 145, 125 and the men’s 135. This way you get higher quality PPV’s with 2-3 title fights and top contender matchups while the weekly free cards are for upcoming prospects and ranking positioning.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I don’t mind the weekly cards but they need to go back to the days when watching a PPV was a special event. Use the weekly card to grow talent but stack the PPV main card and only run 8 of those a year. Make them have set dates each year like May long weekend, 4th of July weekend, NYE etc...

They also need to cut out a few divisions like the woman’s 145, 125 and the men’s 135. This way you get higher quality PPV’s with 2-3 title fights and top contender matchups while the weekly free cards are for upcoming prospects and ranking positioning.
Do you mean the mens 125? Why specifically would you cut 135? That's a damn good division...

Reactions: Samus44

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

The Quality of most PPV’s are so bad now a days that I Usually just get a stream off of reddit if I’m interested in watching. 241 was an exception.

Don’t really agree with cutting out weight divisions though.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'm not sure why the took 125 out. I prefer watching skills and style over the heavyweight throwing haymakers hoping a punch will land.

ONE FC is producing some good 125 fights

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Stipe for me is the most underrated heavyweight of all time, he gets absolutely no respect at all, staying at the top of the heavyweight division is tough and he defended that more consecutively more than anybody else, neutralized Ngannou when he’s knocking out everyone he faces and now has knocked out one of the best of all time. So I don’t see why Miocic vs Jones is an easier fight for Jones than others at heavyweight.

Jones is the longest guy in the UFC, but at LHW he's tall, long and VERY strong in all situations. Being strong gives him the freedom to let lose and attempt high risk moves that make him incredibly exciting. At HW there are so many ways to punish a lot of the stuff he does. The bigger and stronger the guys get the harder it is for him to get the right angle and fight them off when they punish him when he fails attempting something risky and spectacular.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
I kinda doubt we'll see Connor fight again.
I don't follow him on social media, but it sounds like his lifestyle has changed a lot since he got that big payday via fighting Mayweather.
Tons of unsubstantiated rumors out of Ireland involving him getting into illegal activity, getting in fights with made men of the Irish Mafia and paying people off so that they don't hold it against him. I even read a dumb story insinuating that there was a bounty on his head for a couple of days before he settled a dispute.

If there's any truth to these Jones Jones-like stories, I really think Connor is done.

True. It's just too much now. That video of him punching an old man, the second he turns away, in an Ireland bar no less is the last straw for alot of McGregor fans.

He's the prime example of how a rags to riches story isn't always a feel-good story. When he was on the rise, collecting welfare checks and only did MMA purely for passion of the martial arts, he was raw, hungry, active and a game changer. His sense of humor was balanced and on point, and he was a finisher that didn't know how to lose. The Mayweather fight completely changed him as a person and martial artist; now all about the money, the pizazz, and just completely full of himself. Disregard for everyone around him, thinking he's untouchable and that he's still the biggest draw in sports entertainment. Truth is, the loss to Mayweather and Khabib tarnished his legacy as a fighter, and his repetitive public incidents tarnished his character.

I wrote that back in January, but much has changed since then. Calling out fighters left and right on twitter, only to cower away when they answer the call. And now this. What a shame

Reactions: thadd

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Kept hearing before the weekend that with a win Stipe might be the best heavyweight champion of all time. Thought it seemed like a stretch.

However, I looked today and was quite surprised that he is the only guy to ever defend the title 3 times during one rein. And overall 4 times. the next closest was Couture and Sylvia with 3 overall wins defending the title.

Sure isn't like the other divisions that guys dominate for years with numerous title defenses

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Mens 125 was already cut and most of the men in 135 have fought at 145 before.

No it wasn't, it was just cut back. Figueiredo literally just won the belt like a month ago. I think it's only the casuals who can't appreciate the lower weight classes, those guys are so technical and fast it's mind blowing. Bantamweight isn't going anywhere nor should it, it's been producing stars (Dillashaw, Garbrandt, Yan, O'Malley) and even has legends Edgar, Cruz, and Aldo in it. Cejudo may even come back. Most of them BTW have not fought at 145, again like another poster said I think you may be confusing 125 and 135. Edgar and Aldo are the only ranked guys who have fought higher and a lot of that has to due with weight cutting getting more severe and how long they've been around. Another semi retired old guy in Faber has too. Edgar being champ at 155 is among the most impressive things ever done in the sport though tbh.

Women's 145 is a joke for sure and was only made for Cyborg and is only around now for Nunes to be a double champ, although beating Cyborg does make that a legit belt. It's just she has no real contenders to face in defending it.

I do think all the divisions should be pushed up 5 pounds given the glut of talent in the middle weight classes. 130-140-150-160-170-180. Then I'd make 200 for LHW, add a 225 division for Cruiserweight, and no limit or 280-300lbs for Heavyweight. Right now they've got too many smaller weight classes despite most of the roster fitting in between 140 and 185 lbs. It would also strengthen Middleweight and Light Heavy weight. The talent at Cruiserweight would be good with Jones, Miocic, ect... and Heavyweight is and will always just be a shit show of slow KO artists so nothing will change. 9 Divisions is more than then current 8 but the distribution of talent would make a lot more sense and weight cutting would be less severe. Dana White certainly won't do it though. Women's divisions at 115-125-135 make sense and if the sport can grow perhaps 145 can make a return.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Kept hearing before the weekend that with a win Stipe might be the best heavyweight champion of all time. Thought it seemed like a stretch.

However, I looked today and was quite surprised that he is the only guy to ever defend the title 3 times during one rein. And overall 4 times. the next closest was Couture and Sylvia with 3 overall wins defending the title.

Sure isn't like the other divisions that guys dominate for years with numerous title defenses

Most of the big guys don't last as long before their careers decline due to injury. Cain Velasquez is a perfect example.

Reactions: joestevens29

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Most of the big guys don't last as long before their careers decline due to injury. Cain Velasquez is a perfect example.

Heavyweights tend to peak later, as power is the last to go compared to speed and movement. That's why the best heavyweights are all in their 30's (Stipe, Cormier, Ngannou, Dos Santos, Lewis etc..)

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Any fight fans? Israel Adesanya looking to get erased by Paulo Costa. Israel losing would be to me the 2nd most satisfying L since Sean O’malley. Going to get f***ed up at my buddies pub (socially distanced of course). Can’t wait.

C7A6092A-14CD-4925-8768-9BED1F85FAC4.jpeg

Reactions: Faelko

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Any fight fans? Israel Adesanya looking to get erased by Paulo Costa. Israel losing would be to me the 2nd most satisfying L since Sean O’malley. Going to get f***ed up at my buddies pub (socially distanced of course). Can’t wait.

View attachment 368873

100%. Can’t stand Adesanya, hope Costa puts him to sleep.

Reyes vs Blachowitz will steal the show, can’t see any way that’s a boring fight.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Reyes vs Blachowitz will steal the show, can’t see any way that’s a boring fight.
Same, cant stand either Adesanya or Usman.

Hoping Costa knocks him out cold.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB

The guy is good but f***ing annoying, Costa holds himself with respect and honour and he’s quite hilarious too. It will fulfill me to no end if Costa pulls through and wipes the mat off with him, have Adesanya rematch him, gets destroyed again then get completely forgotten about. Yeah this event is going to be awesome, can’t wait for that fight either. Shouldn’t have excluded them haha.

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
Ricky got his ass kicked

Ive sat on this now for a few hours, I’m still shocked. What exactly was Costa’s game plan? The way Izzy picked him apart was absurd. Paulo looked like he was half asleep in the fight. That was a world class ass whooping. Even watching the post fight press conference Izzy says “I’m still waiting on Jones, I’ll f*** him up.” He is so confident, is baffling to me.

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
Same, cant stand either Adesanya or Usman.

Hoping Costa knocks him out cold.

Haha man I was hoping the exact same thing would happen. Adesanya completely outclassed him, that was one of the most dominant performances I’ve ever seen in combat sports. I was sitting there saying “Wow”, Costa s*** the bed. I’m not sure if Izzy got in his head, but he was a different fighter in there.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Haha man I was hoping the exact same thing would happen. Adesanya completely outclassed him, that was one of the most dominant performances I’ve ever seen in combat sports. I was sitting there saying “Wow”, Costa s*** the bed. I’m not sure if Izzy got in his head, but he was a different fighter in there.
Agreed, completely outclassed.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Ive sat on this now for a few hours, I’m still shocked. What exactly was Costa’s game plan? The way Izzy picked him apart was absurd. Paulo looked like he was half asleep in the fight. That was a world class ass whooping. Even watching the post fight press conference Izzy says “I’m still waiting on Jones, I’ll f*** him up.” He is so confident, is baffling to me.
Why’s he waiting on jones, jones is never going down to fight him, he would be going up to fight jones.

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
Why’s he waiting on jones, jones is never going down to fight him, he would be going up to fight jones.

Honestly man, I have no idea why he’s so fixated on Jones, but he really wants that fight. That would be an incredible fight if it ever happened. Izzy’s also 6’ 4” so if he did want to move up it wouldn’t be that hard or detrimental to him or the way he fights, but in saying that it is also 20 pounds. There’s no way Jones would move down.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009

Honestly man, I have no idea why he’s so fixated on Jones, but he really wants that fight. That would be an incredible fight if it ever happened. Izzy’s also 6’ 4” so if he did want to move up it wouldn’t be that hard or detrimental to him or the way he fights, but in saying that it is also 20 pounds. There’s no way Jones would move down.
I don’t think he’s saying he’s waiting for Jones to come down. He mentioned he’s likely going to eventually move up to either light heavy weight or even heavy weight after he cleans out his division. He’s said that since he showed up to the UFC. He keeps mentioning that he wants to respect the belt and defend it against everyone before fighting Jones.

Izzy’s ability to read his opponent’s tendencies and then time his strikes perfectly put him a step above everyone else. That was his 100th win in his career. Crazy.

Reactions: Markham30

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad