OT: MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Belator etc...) Part 2

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Good thing he has lots of money to pay for that lost revenue, I hope they squeeze as much as they can out of him. Childish. He has a baby and family. He's supposed to be a mentor. :shakehead

McDavid has made more than $30 million US in his career so unless he is a total fool he should be fine.

Was yesterday real or was it some ridiculous kayfabe like in WWE?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
McDavid has made more than $30 million US in his career so unless he is a total fool he should be fine.

Was yesterday real or was it some ridiculous kayfabe like in WWE?

That's probably jusy his UFC career not counting the huge payday from the Mayweather fight. This was probably a poorly planned publicity stunt that went wrong.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
That's probably jusy his UFC career not counting the huge payday from the Mayweather fight. This was probably a poorly planned publicity stunt that went wrong.

I forgot about the $100 million he made in the Mayfield fiasco.

The publicity stunt angle is where I was going with the kayfabe thing.

He looked chemically unbalanced during that rampage. Not sure what caused it but it was full on cray cray.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting to see if anything happens from Saturday night's incident. Fighter says she is done, but corner tells her otherwise. I think what's worse to me is there are suppose to be doctors that look in on fighters in between rounds. You'd think that would be a huge red flag.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Yup that was disgusting.
I honestly don't understand what's going on in the heads of coaches when their fighters have had their bodies munched to pieces and they're still pushing them to do more.

Her coaches did NOTHING to prepare her for Nunes. They just had this idea in their head that she'd sparred with Nunes before and would know what to do.

It looked like she had absolutely no game plan for that fight and was totally caught off guard.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
So now that we've got word that GSP is gonna fight Nate Diaz I've got this crazy idea in my head that either Connor or Khabib will fight the winner.

Pretty sure GSP makes very quick work of Nate. GSP didn't have too hard of a time with Nick, and Nick is a far superior all around fighter than Nate.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yup that was disgusting.
I honestly don't understand what's going on in the heads of coaches when their fighters have had their bodies munched to pieces and they're still pushing them to do more.

Her coaches did NOTHING to prepare her for Nunes. They just had this idea in their head that she'd sparred with Nunes before and would know what to do.

It looked like she had absolutely no game plan for that fight and was totally caught off guard.
Only reason Pennigton was there is because of how tough she is. Not fighting in a year in a half was a horrid matchup. Although you have to take your shot when you get it I guess.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So now that we've got word that GSP is gonna fight Nate Diaz I've got this crazy idea in my head that either Connor or Khabib will fight the winner.

Pretty sure GSP makes very quick work of Nate. GSP didn't have too hard of a time with Nick, and Nick is a far superior all around fighter than Nate.
From a marketing stand point most hate the Diaz brothers. Gonna be a lot of guys wanting to see GSP choke him out.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
From a marketing stand point most hate the Diaz brothers. Gonna be a lot of guys wanting to see GSP choke him out.

The Diaz brothers' fights sell themselves.
They constantly move forward, they don't take rounds off laying on guys and they absorb tons of shots.
Actually, I think Nate set a record for most shots absorbed in his 2nd fight vs Connor.
I think he also became the leader for most shots landed all time in UFC.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006

Big John McCarthy was on JRE last night. Good listen.

First comment time stamped some topics they talked about.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Didn't really expect Cormier to knock out Miocic.

Cormier-Lesnar is going to be a good one. If Lesnar can pass drug tests that is

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Pretty solid ESPN debut for the UFC yesterday

Cejudo with the 2nd fastest KO in UFC title fight history, and beats the champ in the weight class above his

Cerrone taking down the young lion with a near perfect record, for like the hundredth time. He's always the road block for the young highly touted prospects on the rise
Now it sounds like him and McGregor are fixing to throw hands after Donald called him out post-fight, that would be a fantastic fight

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
What a helluva even the UFC put on for us today.
The main card was amazing.
Didn't agree with the decision of one of the fights, but enjoyed the hell out of each and every bout.
Best card of the year so far?

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Didn't agree with the decision of one of the fights, but enjoyed the hell out of each and every bout.
Was an absolutely awesome night. I went 5 for 5 on the main card. Hate to see DC lose though, it probably means it’s the last we’ve seen of him.

Reactions: thadd

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Best overall card of the year no doubt. Usually one in the summer and one at end of the year are the best

Reactions: thadd

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Was an absolutely awesome night. I went 5 for 5 on the main card. Hate to see DC lose though, it probably means it’s the last we’ve seen of him.

I really wasn't sure who was going to win the last 3 fights on the main card.
I was cheering for Romeo and I think the only reason why people were booing was because they lost money on the fight. Romeo didn't control nearly enough of that fight. Only thing he did better was mess the Brazilian kid's face up.

Love both Pettis and Diaz and I wasn't cheering for either one, but I thought Pettis would have fought a smarter fight. Thought he'd control the distance and chop away at Nate's legs from a distance for the first round, but he went into that fight with a different mentality. Nate is by far the best BJJ practitioner he's ever been up against and I knew that Pettis was good on his back, but I had no clue he'd be good enough to fight off sub attempts with Nate's legs locked in. Was very impressed with both fighters. Before the fight the talking heads wouldn't shut up about how Diaz has been off for 3 years and about how he's always been a slow fighter. They were eating their own words 30 seconds into the fight.

Those two fights are my two favorite fights of the year so far and no, I haven't missed a single UFC even yet this year.

The main event was nuts. I've never been a DC fan. UFC strokes his ego far too often all because his nemesis has had a history of shoving his head up his ass. Ever since he started feuding with Jones he's been an arrogant prick who seems to think he's the best man in the world just because he hasn't made the horrible life decisions JJ has.

Kinda reminds me of a stand-up gig Chris Rock did 10 years ago when he's making fun of people for having low standards. How people in the slums brag about stuff they're supposed to do like not go to jail and take care of their kids. When I hear DC bellowing out about how others aren't as good or deserving as him I feel like he's just making an ass out of himself and doing the best he can to be a WWE like character so that more casual fans will be interesting in following/watching him.

I was worried that DC was going to win, but man he had this crazy idea that his hand speed was so fast that he didn't need to keep his hands up. Wrestlers don't keep their hands that low in the first round unless they're literally getting ready for a take down. Moicic's body shots came at the perfect time. After 3 rounds DC didn't look too bad, but you put any guy with a body like that through 3 rounds in the ring and they'll be ripe for the body shots. He took them well, until it was 1 too many and what a helluva finish. Herb could have jumped in there a we bit faster, but I'm not complaining.

Easily give this event 10/10

And I don't think this is the last of DC.
JJ will crack a joke about how DC's some retired, lame, weak daddy working behind the desk now and DC's lips will salivate when he pictures that next pay cheque fighting Jones one last time.

Who knows it could even be at heavyweight. If a guy like Moicic is holding the belt Jones might be interesting in giving it a shot. If some huge athletic mammoth of a man is the champ, I highly doubt even Jones is dumb/crazy enough to go for it. I personally hope Jones just sticks to LHW. He's got the potential for successfully defend the belt for another 5 years.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Pretty solid ESPN debut for the UFC yesterday

Cejudo with the 2nd fastest KO in UFC title fight history, and beats the champ in the weight class above his

Cerrone taking down the young lion with a near perfect record, for like the hundredth time. He's always the road block for the young highly touted prospects on the rise
Now it sounds like him and McGregor are fixing to throw hands after Donald called him out post-fight, that would be a fantastic fight

I kinda doubt we'll see Connor fight again.
I don't follow him on social media, but it sounds like his lifestyle has changed a lot since he got that big payday via fighting Mayweather.
Tons of unsubstantiated rumors out of Ireland involving him getting into illegal activity, getting in fights with made men of the Irish Mafia and paying people off so that they don't hold it against him. I even read a dumb story insinuating that there was a bounty on his head for a couple of days before he settled a dispute.

If there's any truth to these Jones Jones-like stories, I really think Connor is done.

Reactions: Gh0st

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I kinda doubt we'll see Connor fight again.
I don't follow him on social media, but it sounds like his lifestyle has changed a lot since he got that big payday via fighting Mayweather.
Tons of unsubstantiated rumors out of Ireland involving him getting into illegal activity, getting in fights with made men of the Irish Mafia and paying people off so that they don't hold it against him. I even read a dumb story insinuating that there was a bounty on his head for a couple of days before he settled a dispute.

If there's any truth to these Jones Jones-like stories, I really think Connor is done.
If he wants to fight it will be there for him. Dana has no issue bringing back guys that can make him money.

But ya the guy is really becoming an even bigger ass clown outside of the cage/ring. Didn't think that would be possible.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is good to hear. I don't watch as much as I use to. One of those things where I use to make time to watch the fights, but now if something else comes up I'll do that instead.

I've said this before, but the UFC did the same thing that the WWF did years ago and it ruined them for me. They bought out all the good competition and over flooded their own brand. The addition of the TUF was great at first, but then that became too much.

There was a time where there was only one card a month, sometimes less. You use to be able to watch the whole event and maybe only a couple of guys you wouldn't know about.

Now there is a card every week, only the diehards know most the fighters, and for awhile too many of the cards drastically were changing which was leading to fill in fights.

Sometimes less is more.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This is good to hear. I don't watch as much as I use to. One of those things where I use to make time to watch the fights, but now if something else comes up I'll do that instead.

I've said this before, but the UFC did the same thing that the WWF did years ago and it ruined them for me. They bought out all the good competition and over flooded their own brand. The addition of the TUF was great at first, but then that became too much.

There was a time where there was only one card a month, sometimes less. You use to be able to watch the whole event and maybe only a couple of guys you wouldn't know about.

Now there is a card every week, only the diehards know most the fighters, and for awhile too many of the cards drastically were changing which was leading to fill in fights.

Sometimes less is more.

Well think for men's we've got what? 8 weight divisions and women's is 3? You've got fighters ranked top 15 in each weight division, which isn't a lot and then you've got guys who aren't ranked which either means they're one loss away from being dropped or they're relatively new to the UFC or their weight division and still proving themselves.

It's really not a lot of fighters, but they can't have many more than 12-15 fights in a single night so you end up having a bunch of events every month. They really don't have a lot of fighters. Less than 600 fighters from something like 60 countries and almost half of them are American.

If the sport continues to grow I see the UFC splitting up into different brands. UFC Asia, UFC, Europe, UFC North America, etc.
Maybe once a year they take 2 highly touted champions from 2 different continents and call it a super fight. Long ways off, though. There aren't enough countries with fighters that can compete with American and Brazilian fighters consistently yet. Not nearly enough. Might be 50 years ago. Who knows.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well think for men's we've got what? 8 weight divisions and women's is 3? You've got fighters ranked top 15 in each weight division, which isn't a lot and then you've got guys who aren't ranked which either means they're one loss away from being dropped or they're relatively new to the UFC or their weight division and still proving themselves.

It's really not a lot of fighters, but they can't have many more than 12-15 fights in a single night so you end up having a bunch of events every month. They really don't have a lot of fighters. Less than 600 fighters from something like 60 countries and almost half of them are American.

If the sport continues to grow I see the UFC splitting up into different brands. UFC Asia, UFC, Europe, UFC North America, etc.
Maybe once a year they take 2 highly touted champions from 2 different continents and call it a super fight. Long ways off, though. There aren't enough countries with fighters that can compete with American and Brazilian fighters consistently yet. Not nearly enough. Might be 50 years ago. Who knows.
This right here is a problem. There is no need to have that many ranked guys in most of the divisions.

UFC went for quantity over quality. A lot of that before was Zuffa building a brand to sell and now that WME overpaid they are doing everything they can to recoup costs.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This right here is a problem. There is no need to have that many ranked guys in most of the divisions.

UFC went for quantity over quality. A lot of that before was Zuffa building a brand to sell and now that WME overpaid they are doing everything they can to recoup costs.

Well I disagree. I think that with the number of people that practice MMA the % of people that make it into the UFC is smaller than the number of hockey players that make it into the NHL and that goes to show how there aren't too many people in there.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I really wasn't sure who was going to win the last 3 fights on the main card.
I was cheering for Romeo and I think the only reason why people were booing was because they lost money on the fight. Romeo didn't control nearly enough of that fight. Only thing he did better was mess the Brazilian kid's face up.

Love both Pettis and Diaz and I wasn't cheering for either one, but I thought Pettis would have fought a smarter fight. Thought he'd control the distance and chop away at Nate's legs from a distance for the first round, but he went into that fight with a different mentality. Nate is by far the best BJJ practitioner he's ever been up against and I knew that Pettis was good on his back, but I had no clue he'd be good enough to fight off sub attempts with Nate's legs locked in. Was very impressed with both fighters. Before the fight the talking heads wouldn't shut up about how Diaz has been off for 3 years and about how he's always been a slow fighter. They were eating their own words 30 seconds into the fight.

Those two fights are my two favorite fights of the year so far and no, I haven't missed a single UFC even yet this year.

The main event was nuts. I've never been a DC fan. UFC strokes his ego far too often all because his nemesis has had a history of shoving his head up his ass. Ever since he started feuding with Jones he's been an arrogant prick who seems to think he's the best man in the world just because he hasn't made the horrible life decisions JJ has.

Kinda reminds me of a stand-up gig Chris Rock did 10 years ago when he's making fun of people for having low standards. How people in the slums brag about stuff they're supposed to do like not go to jail and take care of their kids. When I hear DC bellowing out about how others aren't as good or deserving as him I feel like he's just making an ass out of himself and doing the best he can to be a WWE like character so that more casual fans will be interesting in following/watching him.

I was worried that DC was going to win, but man he had this crazy idea that his hand speed was so fast that he didn't need to keep his hands up. Wrestlers don't keep their hands that low in the first round unless they're literally getting ready for a take down. Moicic's body shots came at the perfect time. After 3 rounds DC didn't look too bad, but you put any guy with a body like that through 3 rounds in the ring and they'll be ripe for the body shots. He took them well, until it was 1 too many and what a helluva finish. Herb could have jumped in there a we bit faster, but I'm not complaining.

Easily give this event 10/10

And I don't think this is the last of DC.
JJ will crack a joke about how DC's some retired, lame, weak daddy working behind the desk now and DC's lips will salivate when he pictures that next pay cheque fighting Jones one last time.

Who knows it could even be at heavyweight. If a guy like Moicic is holding the belt Jones might be interesting in giving it a shot. If some huge athletic mammoth of a man is the champ, I highly doubt even Jones is dumb/crazy enough to go for it. I personally hope Jones just sticks to LHW. He's got the potential for successfully defend the belt for another 5 years.
Agree with you on Pettis but he’s looked like he f***ed up his foot when Nate checked that one kick, it was visibly swollen in the second and third. So I’m not suprised the game plan to chop the legs kind of went out the window without choice.

For DC I’ve always loved the way he’s carried himself for the most part, and he’s a hell of a fighter, he’d be high up on my all time list. Some guys don’t respect guys who take the fight to the mat but I’ve always liked that in mma.

Stipe for me is the most underrated heavyweight of all time, he gets absolutely no respect at all, staying at the top of the heavyweight division is tough and he defended that more consecutively more than anybody else, neutralized Ngannou when he’s knocking out everyone he faces and now has knocked out one of the best of all time. So I don’t see why Miocic vs Jones is an easier fight for Jones than others at heavyweight.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad