MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Apparently he wants Tito. Should be an easy tune up fight for him.

Isn't Wanderlei fighting Fedor in Rizin?

Chael is 39 and had already slipped three years ago. Wouldn't surprise me if Tito wins that fight.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Chael is 39 and had already slipped three years ago. Wouldn't surprise me if Tito wins that fight.

Yah I wouldn't say easy.

Very interesting to see the Bellator announcement, Coker said Chael is interested in fights with Ortiz, MacDonald and Fedor, 3 different weight classes. Yes please on Fedor! I can only imagine the trash talk Chael can spew about The Last Emperor.

Last edited:

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Yah I wouldn't say easy.

Very interesting to see the Bellator announcement, Coker said Chael is interested in fights with Ortiz, MacDonald and Fedor, 3 different weight classes. Yes please on Fedor! I can only imagine the trash talk Chael can spew about The Last Emperor.

All awesome fights. And yeah, Tito/Chael could be closer than many might expect, depending on how testing works, ring rust, etc.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Wouldn't be shocked at all if Tito beat Chael. Tito is quite a bit bigger, and would certainly negate the wrestling early. My guess is Chael would wear him down and eventually have success with the wrestling.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They should give Chael an easier fight first, someone he can just taken down and sub out.

So.. Ken Shamrock?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Woodley says he's fighting Wonderboy at UFC 205.

I like it. Wonderboy deserves that shot. This would also fit those rumours of there being two title fights on the card because I doubt this would be the main event.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Welterweight Championship: Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen Thompson
Lightweight bout: Thiago Alves vs. Al Iaquinta[8]
Light Heavyweight bout: Gian Villante vs. Marcos Rogério de Lima[10]
Middleweight bout: Tim Kennedy vs. Rashad Evans[9]
Women's Bantamweight Liz Carmouche vs. Katlyn Chookagian[15]
Middleweight bout: Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero[11]

They really don't need more than that; let McG rest.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002

Pretty good PPV but for UFC NY they need to get that women's fight out and add an interesting main event. Paper champ vs Thompson isn't going to cut it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They're going to load that card up, there will be another title fight for sure.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
It would have to be LW. Cormier won't fight, Stipe won't fight, Bisping has a fight.

They must be pushing for McGregor come back but I don't know if he' ready for that after a 5 round war.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Didn't McGregor say awhile back how much he wanted to fight on the New York card because of the history of Irish immigrants in New York or something along those lines? I'm guessing Conor is a virtual lock to fight on that card, it's just a question at what weight class.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

I'd like some fun action fights to help me through survive those potential snoozers :laugh:

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015

You're insane if you think Wonderboy/Woodley is the ME for this card.

ME
Woodley/Wonderboy
Romero/Weidman
Evans/Kennedy
Kelvin/Cowboy (you forgot this fight btw)

This fight will have Conor on it. Hopefully Georges on Toronto and then Cormier/Rumble to end the year. Sounds a lot like Conor/Alvarez. I prefer Con

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens will most likely be on the card as well. It's not official just yet though.

I wouldn't put Rashad/Kennedy on the main card. I think that has the potential to be a terrible fight. I also can't stand Kennedy.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens will most likely be on the card as well. It's not official just yet though.

I wouldn't put Rashad/Kennedy on the main card. I think that has the potential to be a terrible fight. I also can't stand Kennedy.

Word. That PTSD comment was classless. Dude is a legit fighter though..

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
First Rory and now Chael, I may just have to tune into Bellator more often.

Interesting interview with Chael over on Sherdog today. He basically said that he was always planning on coming back to the UFC, but then when he saw Rory went to Bellator and was considering a jump to 185 it made him think that he might be a fit there as well.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Iaquinta pulled out of 205 because he wanted more money. Meh, win some more fights, but power to him I guess. Jim Miller has reportedly stepped right in to take his place against Alves

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Iaquinta pulled out of 205 because he wanted more money. Meh, win some more fights, but power to him I guess. Jim Miller has reportedly stepped right in to take his place against Alves

He's on a four fight win streak. Said he'd be taking a decrease to fight on the NY card and is ineligible for bonuses. I don't fully blame him. I know he's been out awhile but he's got stoppages over Pearson and Lauzon - followed by a decision over Masvidal.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
He's on a four fight win streak. Said he'd be taking a decrease to fight on the NY card and is ineligible for bonuses. I don't fully blame him. I know he's been out awhile but he's got stoppages over Pearson and Lauzon - followed by a decision over Masvidal.

Like I said, power to him. But like you said, he has been out, whatever hype he had, has significantly died off, he would have did well to fight on one of the biggest cards, get himself into the top 10, than demand money. But hey, if he wants to sell real estate, good for him.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Sounds like he was essentially betting against himself to win. He's worried about not getting his win bonus (he's not eligible for performance bonuses as a result of skipping press duties and instead laying on a beach). So to me, it sounds like he's not even confident he can win.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't blame fighters for wanting more money or being upset with the Reebok deal but only a select few can win in a situation like this. Everyone might want to renegotiate but not everyone can when they have a bunch of fights left. We saw how this went for Nate and he was a much better fighter and bigger name at the time. He came back a year later at his same salary, beat Michael Johnson, and then he got his big fight and got paid.

Too bad we won't get to see the Iaquinta/Alves fight now.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don't blame fighters for wanting more money or being upset with the Reebok deal but only a select few can win in a situation like this. Everyone might want to renegotiate but not everyone can when they have a bunch of fights left. We saw how this went for Nate and he was a much better fighter and bigger name at the time. He came back a year later at his same salary, beat Michael Johnson, and then he got his big fight and got paid.

Too bad we won't get to see the Iaquinta/Alves fight now.

Yup, I agree with standing your ground, but, in some instances, you have to force their hand. Had he came in and put on a dominant performance or a show, than he would have some leverage, at this point, it's not happening. But if he's serious about real estate, good on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad