MLS Thread: Enter Zlatan

Status
Not open for further replies.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
FIFA just needs to die.

Makes zero sense that domestic leagues are bound by them, in my opinion. You don't see the NHL bowing down to IIHF. It's a private business!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Decided to put this in the MLS thread but Miami FC and a NPSL club (Kingston Stockade) further put fuel to the recent pro/rel talk in American soccer by filing a claim at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) for the USSF to adopt promotion/relegation

Should CAS decide in favor of pro/rel, the USSF will be required to install it as all their decisions are bound by FIFA. Of course this will probably take years but there seems to be promise in Article 9 of FIFA rules

Full article is here: http://www.prostamerika.com/2017/08/03/clubs-bring-action-force-prorel/167328

Miami FC may be in serious trouble, because Beckham's Miami MLS Team has been given the green light for a projected 2020 start.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Man, I know this isn't the purist position, but in some leagues I'd be in favor of less pro/rel and not more. The Austrian league would probably really benefit from getting rid of all the tiny village clubs and replacing them with some bigger ones.

MLS is doing fine without it. Other leagues (even some tradition-rich ones) would kill to have the kind of growth and excitement in MLS.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If Orlando doesn't get on track and make the playoffs there's going to be a lot of changes in the off-season. First they need to not renew Kaka and stop wasting so much money on a poor return from it with him, Kreis hasn't improved the team that much and should not be brought back, Larin needs to be cashed in on and a bunch of others need to go.

I would keep Dwyer, Spector, Sutter, Redding and Bednak while looking to not renew or move the others and start over again. This team needs a restart not a refresh like they been trying to do without success.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Loons got taken apart by Seattle last night.

It was fun to see Dempsey play live. He's such a great player for MLS, real quality.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Video review is going to be just like the NHL review. A lot of goals are going to get called back over really minuscule plays

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
That disallowed goal killed the Galaxy's momentum. But that doesn't erase the fact that they've been unwatchable this season. I think I've only watched 4 games this year including today.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Makes zero sense that domestic leagues are bound by them, in my opinion. You don't see the NHL bowing down to IIHF. It's a private business!

The MLS is free to say no to FIFA regulations. It's only a question of power: Within the hockey world, the NHL is powerful enough to snub the IIHF. Within the soccer world on the other hand, FIFA is powerful enough to make the consequences very painful for a league if it snubs them. But it's entirely up to the MLS what their preference is: to be part of the FIFA realm and accept their regulations, or to not be part of the FIFA realm and live with the drawbacks.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Can someone summarize exactly how VAR works? At the MIN/SEA match on Saturday night, there were a few times with calls/non-calls in the box, where the ref help up the goalie from kicking it, telling him to wait. We thought this was VAR in action, but I'm seeing highlights from around the league where they actually go look at a monitor.

So is the ref waiting for someone to watch the play again, and being told in his ear whether or not to go review something, if it's worth a second look? Does the ref on the field have the final call, or is it a man behind the curtain scenario, where there's a ref up in the booth making the call?

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
The MLS is free to say no to FIFA regulations. It's only a question of power: Within the hockey world, the NHL is powerful enough to snub the IIHF. Within the soccer world on the other hand, FIFA is powerful enough to make the consequences very painful for a league if it snubs them. But it's entirely up to the MLS what their preference is: to be part of the FIFA realm and accept their regulations, or to not be part of the FIFA realm and live with the drawbacks.

FIFA's word also wouldn't be the end-all-be-all decision here. IF the court finds in favor of pro/rel then the MLS would definitely file an appeal which would delay the process further if not overturn it.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
One of the things Americans struggle with - sport isn't a private business. Private businesses can operate within sports but the sport itself isn't one.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Anyone know anything about Ethan Finlay? Looks like the Loons have signed him from Columbus. From what I've gathered, he's a pacey winger.

Starting to think that Heath is trying to build a roster that can play with 5 at the back. I think we have the personnel to play a 5-4-1. It gets Molino out wide, where I think he is better, and we have depth at winger now with a couple of the signings we've made (Finlay, and Leiton, a Costa Rica international).

The problem will be depth at CM. If Ibson or Cronin goes down, that formation is kind of blown up.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Paul Arriola ($3M fee and $1M+ salary) and Russell Canouse going to D.C. United. Looks like they're finally going to open the checkbook ahead of the new stadium.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anyone know anything about Ethan Finlay? Looks like the Loons have signed him from Columbus. From what I've gathered, he's a pacey winger.

Yeah, thats about it. He had a great year a few years ago and got a National Team call up because of it, hasn't replicated it since.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
LAFC signs Carlos Vela as their first DP.
This is not going to end well. I would be very leery of building around a guy who has shown that he really doesn't care and is only playing for the paycheck.

In other news Dilly Duka joins Metro. Since the signing was essentially for free salary cap wise I'm good with it. Could be a good fit in our system.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

Starting to think that Heath is trying to build a roster that can play with 5 at the back. I think we have the personnel to play a 5-4-1. It gets Molino out wide, where I think he is better, and we have depth at winger now with a couple of the signings we've made (Finlay, and Leiton, a Costa Rica international).

The problem will be depth at CM. If Ibson or Cronin goes down, that formation is kind of blown up.

good pacey winger...in 150 appearances is a 30g/30a player. A heart and soul type player just needed a change. Looks like Crew are trying to rebuild on the fly and will take the next couple years to change out some players.

Don't have too lofty goals for FInley and he'll be a good player for you...

Crew won the trade with what they're trying to do...but don't think MN got robbed

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I can definitely see Vela being LAFC's version of Gio...great when he wants to be, but hard to motivate. This LA rivalry is just going to become an arms race for the best Mexican players willing to play in the MLS, isn't it?

Finlay...I'll always love him just for the fact that he ate **** about 3 times in his first 2 minutes with the USMNT roughly a combined 300 feet away from where I was sitting :laugh:

To be fair it was drizzling, but he had the traction of an ostrich running on ice. It was glorious.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
IIRC he came back to Cbus and said something like he underestimated the size of cleat he should have worn :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad