OT: MLB Thread XXIX: Marcus Stroman is a.....Met???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Phillies lost.

Mets and Phils are tied.

Talk radio here in Philly land is going nuts right now. I love nothing more than when the Phillies and their fans have a meltdown.

Kapler needs to go. That guy sucks

The Mets have completely roped me in again. We will find out soon whether its a mirage, but I am already all in. Lets do this.

philly is paying bryce harper a lot of $$ to help make the team as good as the mets lol

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Okay, now I am getting ahead of myself. Can't help myself in being excited about this. Literally came out of the blue, and after suffering for 3 1/2 months, with exception of a few brights spots.........the losing just killed me when I knew they could be MORE like what they have recently been doing.

Yes, anybody can say we have beat up on the "lesser teams", but everyone else has that same opportunity. Just happened to be many consecutively. I can be excited today, and looking forward to a beatdown of the Nats in Citi.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Phillies lost.

Mets and Phils are tied.

Talk radio here in Philly land is going nuts right now. I love nothing more than when the Phillies and their fans have a meltdown.

Kapler needs to go. That guy sucks

The Mets have completely roped me in again. We will find out soon whether its a mirage, but I am already all in. Lets do this.

Good thing Philly paid Bryce $330m for his best Michael Conforto impression

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Dude is on pace to finish around 3-4 fWAR. Amazing. Just cements the fact that if you take away his amazing year, he's a very good player and that's about the end of it. I mean his counting stats when all are said and done will put him in the conversation for the HOF, but as I've said for many years, dude is not really THAT good. And given what's been happening to his BB rate and K rate, it's fair to wonder how he'll age.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
philly is paying bryce harper a lot of $$ to help make the team as good as the mets lol

Their management completely overrated their rebuild. Went out and just spent this offseason, moved young players for veterans. Now, their entire bullpen is basically hurt, so its a reason they are struggling, but the rest of that lineup cannot hit. Harper has sucked recently and Hoskins is Alsonso-lite, not the same power, but more walks. This was supposed to be a feared lineup. Franco can only hit the Mets, now he is in the minors. Their best hitters are Segura, Realmuto, and Kingery. If they are going to spend more, do not be surprised if they go after Rendon with Harper leading the charge to get him there. Bruce was red hot coming over, but you wonder where he will be now that he is healthy.

The starting staff is overrated and outside of Nola is very suspect. Never got their hype going into the season, except for the offense. Arrieta has been awful and the back end of that rotation is bad, even with Vargas going there.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
yea **** that guy.

I'm glad he went to Philadelphia. My most hated player now plays for my most hated team.

I'm down here in the Philly area as well for past 10 years(Doylestown) and your right that the Phils are getting eviscerated by their fan base and radio peeps and deservedly so.

Just like the Flyers typically never have the goaltending to do anything of significance. Same goes for the Phillies when it comes to pitching and once again it is biting them in the ass no matter how loaded that batting lineup of theirs looked on paper.

Couldn't happen to a more miserable fan base albeit there are exceptions as some of my good friends are Philly fans.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
does this qualify as a panik move?

Was just coming here to mention that at work I have WFAN on in the background on my computer stream and they just mentioned Panik to the Mets is pretty much a done deal.

Listen, we talked about it yesterday as you know I wanted them to make this move and snag Panik despite the poor #'s and his shitty WAR...whatever. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll remember how he hit the ball back in 2016 when he was actually fantasy worthy. ...we'll see.

Meantime it's a no lose scenario and gives us a bit more depth for this run we are about to on. Good job by Brodie getting this done.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Their management completely overrated their rebuild. Went out and just spent this offseason, moved young players for veterans. Now, their entire bullpen is basically hurt, so its a reason they are struggling, but the rest of that lineup cannot hit. Harper has sucked recently and Hoskins is Alsonso-lite, not the same power, but more walks. This was supposed to be a feared lineup. Franco can only hit the Mets, now he is in the minors. Their best hitters are Segura, Realmuto, and Kingery. If they are going to spend more, do not be surprised if they go after Rendon with Harper leading the charge to get him there. Bruce was red hot coming over, but you wonder where he will be now that he is healthy.

The starting staff is overrated and outside of Nola is very suspect. Never got their hype going into the season, except for the offense. Arrieta has been awful and the back end of that rotation is bad, even with Vargas going there.

Good points...all of them. Don't underestimate how the loss of McCutchen to the torn ACL effected that team...it was huge!. I actually owned Cutch on my fantasy team and so I watched him alot and trust me my team felt the effect as well. He was the catalyst for that lineup as he was always on base and his fielding was also top notch.

Bottom line as I said in my other post, until they fix their pitching, they'll never win consistently. Funny, when I moved down here to the suburbs of Philly back in '08, that was the Phillie golden era for pitching for maybe the only time I can ever remember. No coincidence they actually won a WS.

That 2011 staff they had of Halladay, Hamels, Cliff Lee and Roy Osawalt was pretty friggen nasty...just plain filthy all 4 of them. That might be the one staff I can recall that rivals the one's we've put together here now that I think about it.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
dont see the downside to this

the guys we have dont move the needle for me and the guys here in syracuse do nothing for me.

could well be a significant deal if he can just hit a little and play a solid 2B

Reactions: Crease

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I just hope that if he's sucking ass when September rolls around, they give some of the other guys a look.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
dont see the downside to this

the guys we have dont move the needle for me and the guys here in syracuse do nothing for me.

could well be a significant deal if he can just hit a little and play a solid 2B

There is no downside whatsover as I said as well earlier. Like you elude to even a shitty Panik is better than what we have at 2b. I've got a hunch this move just might end up working out. Remember back during our 2015 WS run, Sandy picked up Kelly Johnson for pretty much nothing at the deadline?

It was a very unsung move and made more for depth purposes. But I seem to recall Johnson contributing a couple of key hits during that run we had to the division after the deadline. That's what this Panik move kind of reminds me of and it wouldn't be the first time that a hitter who couldn't hit for shit the entire year gets traded and who knows maybe it's just the change of scenery, all of a sudden finds his stroke and starts to hit.

That's kind of what I'm envisioning with Panik...nothing flashy...noting too exciting. Just being a steady influence out there who maybe gets a few key hits and plays a solid field. He does that, we be in nice shape in that dept.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I just hope that if he's sucking ass when September rolls around, they give some of the other guys a look.

The second Nimmo is back, which could be soon considering he's going on a rehab assignment, Panik should be relegated to a bench player. At that point you'd have a Davis Conforto Nimmo OF with McNeil at 2B. If Smith comes back you can then play him in the OF, Davis at 3B, and Frazier to the bench.

The downside to this move, is similar to the whole Tanner Glass thing, where people still think he is good (or brings something to the team) when he's actually terrible and playing over better players. At the moment it's fine but once Nimmo,Smith,Lowrie(lol) are back that should be it for him.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Like seeing the Mets grab Panik. They're really trying, within whatever framework the Wilpons allow.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Harper's stats with Men on Base last 5 years. One of the best situational hitters in the league

2015Men on Base22.6 %18.1 %1.25.336.490.6211.111.284.3747135.9.458195 wRC+
2016Men on Base20.2 %16.6 %1.22.266.410.489.900.223.2784811.5.364124 wRC+
2017Men on Base14.9 %19.8 %0.75.355.446.6401.087.286.3995424.3.440171 wRC+
2018Men on Base24.3 %19.1 %1.28.303.470.5601.030.257.3446226.5.421165 wRC+
2019Men on Base12.8 %25.1 %0.51.342.432.6221.053.280.4334920.4.424164 wRC+
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
People complaining about the Hech DFA as a result of Panik signing, citing the Mets saving 1M is crazy. He would have to be claimed, released, or accept an assignment to AAA.

I think he clears, accepts his AAA assignment, and he's probably a call up in September anyway. He'll get his $1M then.

Not to mention, if Panik gives them anything resembling a .250 hitter with okay defense, it's better than Hech.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
People complaining about the Hech DFA as a result of Panik signing, citing the Mets saving 1M is crazy. He would have to be claimed, released, or accept an assignment to AAA.

I think he clears, accepts his AAA assignment, and he's probably a call up in September anyway. He'll get his $1M then.

Not to mention, if Panik gives them anything resembling a .250 hitter with okay defense, it's better than Hech.

it is meaningless and like you said he'll earn the bonus eventually...but its still vintage wilpon lol

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The second Nimmo is back, which could be soon considering he's going on a rehab assignment, Panik should be relegated to a bench player. At that point you'd have a Davis Conforto Nimmo OF with McNeil at 2B. If Smith comes back you can then play him in the OF, Davis at 3B, and Frazier to the bench.

The downside to this move, is similar to the whole Tanner Glass thing, where people still think he is good (or brings something to the team) when he's actually terrible and playing over better players. At the moment it's fine but once Nimmo,Smith,Lowrie(lol) are back that should be it for him.

IMO this move tells us that they don't expect any of those guys back anytime soon and that if they come back its a bonus. if they were expecting nimmo back soon then there is no point in adding panik since he isn't that good.

and this could be a whole separate discussion and I understand your point, but I really dislike the mindset of 'we need to dummy proof the roster to make sure the right guys play cause I don't trust the coaching staff to be smart enough to make those decisions'...sadly its a valid thought at times but that likely means that the teams problems go so far beyond the player or 2 being argued that it doesn't even matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad