OT: MLB Thread XXII: The Mets Are Actually Undefeated In Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not even bad. We are taking 10 games where he just needed 2 runs and those are 10 more wins.

Hopefully continued development from Mcneill, Conforto, Nimmo and healthy Bruce and Frazier make up the difference.
If they couldn't score 2 runs 10 times that's pretty bad. The Yankees needed 1 run twice against the Red Sox. They didn't get it and a lot of people knew they wouldn't get it because they're not good enough.

13 games is a big difference.

If you wanna keep DeGrom, I get it, but you're making big jumps here.

Reactions: romba

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
If they couldn't score 2 runs 10 times that's pretty bad. The Yankees needed 1 run twice against the Red Sox. They didn't get it and a lot of people knew they wouldn't get it because they're not good enough.

13 games is a big difference.

If you wanna keep DeGrom, I get it, but you're making big jumps here.

Agreed. The Mets said they want to be a playoff team so they themselves must make some big jumps this off-season.

And that includes a deGrom extension.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
"If our offense wasn't bad" is a massive if.
Of course. But, if you run down the list (making excuses, if you want to put it that way), Conforto took a half-season to recover from his shoulder surgery. 101 wRC+/143 wRC+ over the two halves. Jay Bruce had his heel procedure and went from looking done to posting a 123 wRC+ when he finally came back. When they finally got around to calling up McNeil, he had a 137 wRC+ in 60+ games. August through the end of the year, Rosario was at 102 wRC+, which is modest but a huge improvement for him. Cespedes had a wRC+ of 122, but only played a few dozen games.

The end result was that the Mets had a sOPS+ in the first half of 89, second half sOPS+ of 98 (I can't find team wRC+ stats). So, a combination of guys getting healthy and guys maturing and getting their chance produced an offense that was actually pretty average after the ASG. They should hopefully get better production at 1B next season with a healthy Bruce and potentially Alonso there. If McNeil continues to hit like that (I think there will be some regression), they're fine there. Same, really, for Rosario. Frazier should be Frazier at 3B, and a full year of healthy Conforto and Nimmo is great in the OF corners. If Cespedes comes back, great. If not, they still have enough to be at least average without him, unless everyone gets hurt again--always a possibility.

The point is, really, it's not a "massive if," since they weren't bad after the ASG. They were still awful for deGrom, though, but that's I think an anomaly (he wasn't always drawing the opposing ace).

Last edited:
Reactions: Machinehead

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
He needed to get experience either way. You wanted Walker cut from this team about a 100 times this season, apparently you didn't stand by that one.
Yep youre damn right I did. He was awful the entire first half. He figured it out after half a season. I give him credit. But lets not act like it was crazy to feel that way with how he was trending.

Experience is great, but winning playoff games is the priority and is better.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Andujar for Bumgarner is the move to make.

Sweeny Murti seems to believe the Yankees are signing Harper. He said on Evan and Joe that the Yankees are definitelt signing one of Harper/Machado.

Re-sign Hechevarria. I’d be interested in re-signing Walker for 3B. I dont know who else is out there. Dont believe Donaldson will be worth it. One idea is to move Torres to 3B and sign Daniel Murphy for 2B. No way they sign both Harper and Machado. Re-sign McCutchen. Move on from Gardner unfortunately.

I would love to have Corbin added as well. CC gone. Move Gray. Re-sign Happ short term so Sheffield can develop. Monty is rehabbing.

Bumgarner
Corbin
Tanaka
Severino
Happ

C Sanchez
1B Harper
2B Murphy
3B Torres
SS Didi
LF McCutchen
CF Hicks
RF Judge
DH Stanton

Hechevarria
Romine
Torreyes
Frazier

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Yankees signing Harper or Machado while having glaring rotation issues should get Cashman fired.Even he cant drop the ball that bad 2 offseasons in the row.We dont need anymore huge contracts for more hitters,no matter how great they are.

Reactions: Rangers743

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Are we sure this Red Sox team is as good as their record indicates? It kinda feels like lady luck was on their side a lot like this year, kinda sorta like the Vegas Golden Knights last year- everything goes right, very little goes wrong.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Are we sure this Red Sox team is as good as their record indicates? It kinda feels like lady luck was on their side a lot like this year, kinda sorta like the Vegas Golden Knights last year- everything goes right, very little goes wrong.

Come on man. Sox are very good.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'd love Donaldson on a 3/4 year deal. Bringer of Rain = GOAT nickname. Plus it gives Hicks a golfing partner.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
To me, the Yankees need to do one of two things with Andujar.

Move him to 1B or trade him. He just doesn't have the defensive acumen to guard the hot corner.

The Yankees need a high end starter. Tanaka is injury prone and Severino got tired in the second half and couldn't be counted on in the postseason.

Corner outfield works for Andujar too. Shame we have no room.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Andujar for Bumgarner is the move to make.

Sweeny Murti seems to believe the Yankees are signing Harper. He said on Evan and Joe that the Yankees are definitelt signing one of Harper/Machado.

Re-sign Hechevarria. I’d be interested in re-signing Walker for 3B. I dont know who else is out there. Dont believe Donaldson will be worth it. One idea is to move Torres to 3B and sign Daniel Murphy for 2B. No way they sign both Harper and Machado. Re-sign McCutchen. Move on from Gardner unfortunately.

I would love to have Corbin added as well. CC gone. Move Gray. Re-sign Happ short term so Sheffield can develop. Monty is rehabbing.

Bumgarner
Corbin
Tanaka
Severino
Happ

C Sanchez
1B Harper
2B Murphy
3B Torres
SS Didi
LF McCutchen
CF Hicks
RF Judge
DH Stanton

Hechevarria
Romine
Torreyes
Frazier

You realize Gleyber was a shortstop? So the guy makes the majors at 20 and learns a new position (2B), had his fair share of highs and lows. Now in his 2nd year you want him to learn another position? Also if we had that rotation it'd be Bumgarner, Severino, then everyone else.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You realize Gleyber was a shortstop? So the guy makes the majors at 20 and learns a new position (2B), had his fair share of highs and lows. Now in his 2nd year you want him to learn another position? Also if we had that rotation it'd be Bumgarner, Severino, then everyone else.
I know what Gleyber was. 3B is an easier position to shift to for a natural SS. ARod and Machado being prime examples. Yankees need more left handed bats. Daniel Murphy makes great contact. It would be a great sacrifice to make. Torres has the ability and athleticism to play 3B if it came down to it.

zach5732

Oct 10, 2018
Yankees signing Harper or Machado while having glaring rotation issues should get Cashman fired.Even he cant drop the ball that bad 2 offseasons in the row.We dont need anymore huge contracts for more hitters,no matter how great they are.

I get your point but no GM in the mlb will be fired after signing either one of those guys. Those players sell tickets

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Well this is what Sweeny said today and he is constantly around the team. I dont know what to do. Harper is at least a left handed bat and Machado is a better all around hitter than our righties. But who the hell knows whats going to happen.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The last time I remember you in here, I was asking if you did anything other than downplay the strengths of other teams and/or how good they are. I see we're right back to it. :laugh:

The Red Sox are really good. They were very good the two previous seasons and now they're really good. Maybe not 108 win good, but they're up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad