OT: MLB Thread XVII: Cubs Break The Ultimate Curse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'd take a legit, MLB catcher over a stud 1B. If they get a catcher, I can live with some combo of Wright/Loney/Duda/Conforto at 1B.

Agreed. I wonder if they'll try to shift Conforto over to a 1B especially with how clogged the outfield is now. Dom Smith is still a few years away anyways right?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Huh, that's good to know about Dom. So what's going to happen with Conforto then?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Huh, that's good to know about Dom. So what's going to happen with Conforto then?

Thats the problem. No one knows. The Mets have shown no indication that they will prioritize his playing time over someone like Granderson's or Bruce's. I wouldn't be surprised if he's once again a back up outfielder this season or in AAA.

Conforto belongs in an OF corner, either one would be fine. He's competent defensively in an OF corner, I don't think its a good idea to jettison him to 1B and take away his value.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Thats the problem. No one knows. The Mets have shown no indication that they will prioritize his playing time over someone like Granderson's or Bruce's. I wouldn't be surprised if he's once again a back up outfielder this season or in AAA.

Conforto belongs in an OF corner, either one would be fine. He's competent defensively in an OF corner, I don't think its a good idea to jettison him to 1B and take away his value.

He's going to start the season platooning in CF with Lagares.

Or he plays LF when Cespedes plays CF against RHP.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Will Rosario be ready in a year after Cabrera contract comes off the books?

He'll also start in AAA. I've read from a number of prospect writers that he is one of the best prospects in the game. I'd be really surprised if he wasn't ready to play in the majors mid-season. Will the Mets replace Cabrera mid season?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
He'll also start in AAA. I've read from a number of prospect writers that he is one of the best prospects in the game. I'd be really surprised if he wasn't ready to play in the majors mid-season. Will the Mets replace Cabrera mid season?

He's top-10.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Fielding is already there but how is his hitting? I know he's less dynamic than Reyes but can he be an on base machine and work pitch counts or is he going to be Rey Ordonez?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fielding is already there but how is his hitting? I know he's less dynamic than Reyes but can he be an on base machine and work pitch counts or is he going to be Rey Ordonez?

Prospect writers always insist his power and hit tool will be above average or plus eventually for a SS. Consensus is a five tool SS, although I myself wouldn't bet on more than David Wright offensive numbers, even that may be generous. I think he's Hanley Ramirez-ish, maybe a little less. Scouting the stat line, his HR totals have always been low, but he just turned 21 a few weeks ago, so he's young, his raw power isn't doubted. He's hit for good, not great average over his minors career. He started hitting for a lot of average this year though. .324 between A and AA. The conditions are aligning for him to have a great start in AAA, and be MLB ready mid year. LV is the easiest hitting environment in the minors. Even Eric Campbell beats up on that environment. Rosario should have very good average and power numbers there. Everyone always does. If someone doesn't, there should be concern.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Prospect writers always insist his power and hit tool will be above average or plus eventually for a SS. Consensus is a five tool SS, although I myself wouldn't bet on more than David Wright offensive numbers, even that may be generous. I think he's Hanley Ramirez-ish, maybe a little less. Scouting the stat line, his HR totals have always been low, but he just turned 21 a few weeks ago, so he's young, his raw power isn't doubted. He's hit for good, not great average over his minors career. He started hitting for a lot of average this year though. .324 between A and AA. The conditions are aligning for him to have a great start in AAA, and be MLB ready mid year. LV is the easiest hitting environment in the minors. Even Eric Campbell beats up on that environment. Rosario should have very good average and power numbers there. Everyone always does. If someone doesn't, there should be concern.

are you talking current day, broken back, can't hit the ball out of the infield david wright or healthy, in his prime david wright?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
are you talking current day, broken back, can't hit the ball out of the infield david wright or healthy, in his prime david wright?

Clearly, the former. His ceiling as an offensive player is not even in the same stratosphere as prime Wright.

From what I know about Rosario, he's an agressive hitter who can hit for contact but will not draw a lot of walks because of his plate approach. He's definitely below average power, slugged just .335 last season.

He's there/here for his defense which is elite. Hell probably be just around league average for a shortstop offensively but a huge run saver on defense with a plus arm. You sacrifice some offense when you have a defensive player of his caliber.

MLB Average Offense for shortstops
256/.307/.375

His batting line
.257/.307/.335

Extremely similar, with a noticable dip in power though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Clearly, the former. His ceiling as an offensive player is not even in the same stratosphere as prime Wright.

From what I know about Rosario, he's an agressive hitter who can hit for contact but will not draw a lot of walks because of his plate approach. He's definitely below average power, slugged just .335 last season.

He's there/here for his defense which is elite. Hell probably be just around league average for a shortstop offensively but a huge run saver on defense with a plus arm. You sacrifice some offense when you have a defensive player of his caliber.

256/.307/.375

His batting line
.257/.307/.335

I'm not a scout and I doubt you are either, but every prospect writer insists he has above average or plus raw power. This question is always asked to them because he doesn't put up HR's yet, and the answer is always the same. If he was such a weak hitter, no way would he be so highly regarded. He's good defensively, but he's not Andrelton Simmons. He hit for a ton of 2B's and 3B's last season, a lot of reports of hard contact, and slugged .459, which is good. We'll see if those eventually turn to HR's, prospect writers seem to think so. I think he'll be a middle of the order bat, although a lesser type of middle of the order bat, not a guy who's going to lead the league in HR's or RBI's.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Hand-eye co-ordination and plus bat speed. Rosario has a knack for getting barrel on the ball. To me he looks like a #2 hitter with 15-20 HR pop. Very good defensively. That's an all star right there.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

256/.307/.375

His batting line
.257/.307/.335

He's really young and has good BP power. It should come around in games. No reason he shouldn't develop 10-20 home run power.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I'd take a legit, MLB catcher over a stud 1B. If they get a catcher, I can live with some combo of Wright/Loney/Duda/Conforto at 1B.

That's fair, I haven't given up on TDA yet but a guy like Lucroy could definitely help carry the team.
---
I think we could see Rosario in September of this year, but I think its most likely next year.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Still think it's too early cutting ties with D'Arnaud.

He's like the Marian Gaborik of the Mets. Potential up the wazoo and awesome when healthy, but he's a good bet to miss 50% of every season with this or that injury.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
That's fair, I haven't given up on TDA yet but a guy like Lucroy could definitely help carry the team.

Lucroy might be gettable at the deadline if the rangers are sellers but IMO he'll be a 32yo UFA at the end of the season looking for a big contract. In other words he'll be an expensive rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad