OT: MLB Thread - Part XVIII: Home Stretch for Yanks. Coup de Grâce for Mets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If the Yankees get through Houston, thats what we'll see.

I'll be interested to see if they stick with the 4 man rotation. They'll definitely want to throw Hill and Wood at the stadium but throwing 3 lefties vs the Astros (Kershaw has been giving up a ton of bombs since coming off of the DL too) just sounds like a death wish. Doesn't help that Houston is very familiar with their lone righty either.

Have to think they're pulling for the Yankees to pull this one out.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He'll have a week off.

They play Tuesday.

It's normal rest for him, but I would have thought that he could benefit from the extra days off over the other guys.

Whatever, if it f***s things up for them I'm all for it. I'll be rooting for either of the Yankees or Astros over them.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I actually like Dodgers. And the Astros. Not sure who I'd cheer for if we didn't make it.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
They play Tuesday.

It's normal rest for him, but I would have thought that he could benefit from the extra days off over the other guys.

Whatever, if it ****s things up for them I'm all for it. I'll be rooting for either of the Yankees or Astros over them.

Rich Hill is a family friend. Ugh. I'm just hoping if we make it the game he pitches goes well for him but we still win. He's been through so much last couple years, am so happy for him. He deserves this.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Abreu and Sheffield have been dominant in the hitters league AFL too. 1.93 ERA for Sheffield, Abreu hasn't allowed a run, both only in 10 innings tho.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
"I've enjoyed three days of Arizona Fall League action as I write this, and so far the most impressive prospect I've seen is Yankees right-hander Albert Abreu. Acquired from the Astros in the Brian McCann trade last offseason, Abreu displayed three plus pitches -- including a fastball that reached 98 mph -- in a Tuesday duel with Pirates righty Mitch Keller." Callis

Reactions: 2Leetch_94

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Probably but Kershaw gives up homeruns. Lots of homeruns. Big, juicy, thicc homeruns.

I would favor the Yankees in this series solely because their starting pitching has been insanely good. Kershaw and Hill have been good but not great and I don't trust Darvish against a team that has faced him a ton which many of the Yankees hitters have done. If they were to split in LA they probably would win.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I would favor the Yankees in this series solely because their starting pitching has been insanely good. Kershaw and Hill have been good but not great and I don't trust Darvish against a team that has faced him a ton which many of the Yankees hitters have done. If they were to split in LA they probably would win.

Yankees have faced Verlander a ton too, didn't work out too well for them in game 2 and we'll see how tonight goes.

I think they're a much more favorable matchup for LA than Houston is to be honest. I think the Yankees could beat LA, but I think Houston would smoke them.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
What a difference 6 months makes. :D

6 months ago some Yankee fans were saying the Yanks have little to no starting pitching.

6 months ago some fans were saying they should just tank this season and keep rebuilding.

6-5-4-3-2-1 months ago some fans were saying the Yanks can't win with Girardi as manager

Today some fans are picking us to win the World Series before we are even in the World Series.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
What a difference 6 months makes. :D

6 months ago some Yankee fans were saying the Yanks have little to no starting pitching.

6 months ago some fans were saying they should just tank this season and keep rebuilding.

6-5-4-3-2-1 months ago some fans were saying the Yanks can't win with Girardi as manager

Today some fans are picking us to win the World Series before we are even in the World Series.

6 months ago, that was a fair assumption.

Severino was coming off of a very rough season.
CC has been oft injured and is near the end of his career.
People considered Tanaka a sure thing.
Pineda has always been the baffling case of excellent peripherals with mediocre, or worse, results.
Montgomery was a promising rookie.

3 of those guys exceeded expectations from pretty much start to finish, with Tanaka (the sure bet) under achieving for a good chunk of the season before finding it in the 2nd half.

If you have 4 question marks headed into the season and you get the answer that you're hoping for from 3 of them (and more than what we were hoping for from CC), thats going to yield good results.

The Yankees have already won with Girardi as a manager so I don't see what you're getting at? I've seen teams win with horrible managers before (this happened 2 years ago, where both WS participants had horrible managers.) This doesn't mean that Girardi didn't completely bungle the division this season or f*** up royally in game 2 of the ALDS. If they go on to win the world series those things become footnotes in a great story (they already are) but those things weren't imagined, they happened.

If you're trying to make a comparison with the current Ranger team, there isn't one. The New York Rangers do not have the hockey equivalent to Judge, Sanchez, Severino and a healthy Bird coming out of no where to save the day. Those guys are have all been elite at their positions this season with the exception of Bird, who certainly has been that since returning from ankle surgery.

And Girardi>>>>>AV. If AV managed the Yankees, he would have either moved judge down in the order or benched him after game 2 of the ALDS in favor of Ellsbury.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
6 months ago, that was a fair assumption.

Severino was coming off of a very rough season.
CC has been oft injured and is near the end of his career.
People considered Tanaka a sure thing.
Pineda has always been the baffling case of excellent peripherals with mediocre, or worse, results.
Montgomery was a promising rookie.

3 of those guys exceeded expectations from pretty much start to finish, with Tanaka (the sure bet) under achieving for a good chunk of the season before finding it in the 2nd half.

If you have 4 question marks headed into the season and you get the answer that you're hoping for from 3 of them (and more than what we were hoping for from CC), thats going to yield good results.

The Yankees have already won with Girardi as a manager so I don't see what you're getting at? I've seen teams win with horrible managers before (this happened 2 years ago, where both WS participants had horrible managers.) This doesn't mean that Girardi didn't completely bungle the division this season or **** up royally in game 2 of the ALDS. If they go on to win the world series those things become footnotes in a great story (they already are) but those things weren't imagined, they happened.

If you're trying to make a comparison with the current Ranger team, there isn't one. The New York Rangers do not have the hockey equivalent to Judge, Sanchez, Severino and a healthy Bird coming out of no where to save the day. Those guys are have all been elite at their positions this season with the exception of Bird, who certainly has been that since returning from ankle surgery.

And Girardi>>>>>AV. If AV managed the Yankees, he would have either moved judge down in the order or benched him after game 2 of the ALDS in favor of Ellsbury.

6-5-4-3-2-1 months ago some fans were saying the Yanks can't win with Girardi as manager.

Any fan that said those things about the 2017 season were wrong.

While I did not mention the Rangers any fans that said we should tank in October 2013 were also wrong. We went to the SCF.

Maybe there is a reason some of the fans (including myself) are just fans of pro sports and not the ones actually in charge.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
Kershaw is so inconsistent in the playoffs it's baffling. He's been giving up tons of long balls of late as well.

Dodgers are praying for the Astros to win. They match up way better with them than the Yankees. If the Yankees close it out tonight, then I think the Dodgers are going to have their hands full.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
Yankees have faced Verlander a ton too, didn't work out too well for them in game 2 and we'll see how tonight goes.

I think they're a much more favorable matchup for LA than Houston is to be honest. I think the Yankees could beat LA, but I think Houston would smoke them.

Verlander is due for an egg. Not saying he's going to suck, but I can see him giving up 3 or 4 runs over 7 or 8 innings, and for the Yankees that may be enough. He's not going to dominate like Game 2 again

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Verlander is due for an egg. Not saying he's going to suck, but I can see him giving up 3 or 4 runs over 7 or 8 innings, and for the Yankees that may be enough. He's not going to dominate like Game 2 again

It feels like all the starters are due to have bad games. I can't envision Severino or CC duplicating their last 2-3 performances either. I could see this going 7 with these next two games being like 12-10 and 7-6

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
2 of the last 3 appearances for Severino went .1 and 4 innings.

I hope to hell he doesn't duplicate those.

I worry about his arm (Hes blown through the innings wall he was going to hit anyway, that fatigue hopefully doesn't set in) and his focus for this game. If they were on equal rest, I would have switched CC and Severino. The offense needs to set the tone and get him a nice cushion early.

6-5-4-3-2-1 months ago some fans were saying the Yanks can't win with Girardi as manager.

Any fan that said those things about the 2017 season were wrong.

While I did not mention the Rangers any fans that said we should tank in October 2013 were also wrong. We went to the SCF.

Maybe there is a reason some of the fans (including myself) are just fans of pro sports and not the ones actually in charge.

Sure, but none of those statements were illogical or unfounded. You can play captain hindsight all you want, but it is what it is.

You like to needle at fans who are on the tank train (yeah, its too early for that) so I thought you were going for the comparison between teams, my bad. I did want to illustrate that there is no comparison though, so I wouldn't get my hopes up about a massive Ranger turn around.

I'm in agreement with your last point though.

He hasn't been great bouncing back from throwing 120+ pitches before, so there is that.

OTOH, hes been nails in elimination games. I don't expect him to be as dominant as he was last time out either, but he doesn't necessarily need to be either. Expecting an egg is expecting too much, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sanchez snuck him a few times today.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The breaks between pitches is too intense in the playoffs. That's why I need the yanks to jump ahead to take the pressure off for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad