OT: MLB Thread - Part XVIII: Home Stretch for Yanks. Coup de Grâce for Mets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
You cannot understate how bad the home plate umpiring was in game 7. That’s a huge reason why we couldn’t draw walks. We’re usually a relatively disciplined team, but when not just borderline pitches, but pitches legitimately out of the zone are being called strikes, your mentality as a batter changes. It becomes tougher to not swing at close pitches, it becomes tougher to have a steady mind at the plate.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
That was the makeup of the team for sure, but it also didn't hurt having Jeter and Damon constantly on base. That team was versatile.

From memory Damon was pretty meh. We won because our best power hitter got hot and hit a bunch of home runs in key situations.

Reactions: All Might

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
From memory Damon was pretty meh. We won because our best power hitter got hot and hit a bunch of home runs in key situations.
That’s my memory, too. I feel like this year’s team is a better general hitting team. Yes, we hit HRs, but we can string together just a ton of hits.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
That’s my memory, too. I feel like this year’s team is a better general hitting team. Yes, we hit HRs, but we can string together just a ton of hits.

What that 09 team did well was get big hits in key moments. A-Rod was clutch as f***.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

He was meh in the first series. Was good against the Angels and completely f***ed the Phillies up.

That team did a lot more than hit homers. They hit a bunch in game 3 in the World Series but only had two in the other give games.

I must be napping when this happens. I do have strange work hours.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This team is so much ahead of the curve. Didn't have us as a playoff team when the season started and we fell 1 game short of WS.

Positives: Judge, Didi, Severino, Green, Hicks.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The 2009 Yankees went .283/.362/.478

The 2017 Yankees went .262/.339/.447

And the 2009 edition still hit three more homers while striking out (what a f***ing surprise) nearly 400 fewer times.

The '09 team blows the '17 team away offensively. It's insulting to even compare the two.

Reactions: ponzu4u

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's right. It's how we got to within a game of going to WS.

They just finished the playoffs batting .209 with a sub-.300 OBP. Those are embarrassing numbers.

They got this far because of their pitching. .186 batting average against, 2.97 ERA.

Reactions: ponzu4u

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Didi is absolutely the kind of guy I like but he really got caught up in trying to hit the ball a mile in this series. Could be inexperience.

Castro is not what I'm looking for. Swings at horrible pitches and doesn't hit enough to make up for it. Strikes out a lot.
This team is so much ahead of the curve. Didn't have us as a playoff team when the season started and we fell 1 game short of WS.

Positives: Judge, Didi, Severino, Green, Hicks.
He hit .218 after the all star break and .196 in the postseason. That's simply not good enough. He is good defensively but I think center field needs an upgrade.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Great season. Would have been cool to go to the WS but I'm not too bummed out. I do worry about two things for our future. Sanchez can not catch a ball even on near perfect throws from the outfield. Might as well throw the ball to the pitcher at the plate because Gary has not been catching it to tag anyone out.

I would have Judge watch clips of Dave Winfield. They have some things in common. I wonder if choking up a little on the bat would help Judge cut down on his strikeouts. Judge doesn't need to hit the ball 500 feet. 430 feet counts the same on the scoreboard.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
You cannot understate how bad the home plate umpiring was in game 7. That’s a huge reason why we couldn’t draw walks. We’re usually a relatively disciplined team, but when not just borderline pitches, but pitches legitimately out of the zone are being called strikes, your mentality as a batter changes. It becomes tougher to not swing at close pitches, it becomes tougher to have a steady mind at the plate.

Wasn’t just Game 7 and wasn’t just the ALCS.

The strike zones for all four teams was completely different.

I have no doubt that Maddon getting tossed from two games was not just about the play at the plate and the other issue. The strike zones expanded and shrunk from top to bottom of an inning.

Both LCS were jokes.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Agreed the strike zone has been an embarrassment this postseason.

One thing that's tough is a few of the guys I'd like to see "upgraded" seem to be pretty vital to the heart and soul of this team. Don't want to completely ruin the chemistry they show.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The 96 Yankees had Mattingly retire on them and replaced a very popular Mike Stanley with Girardi.

As long as the core stays untouched, they'll be fine.

I'd take back CC and Frazier but only on 1 year deals. CC wants to come back, TF? He'll likely cash in elsewhere.

I expect the Yankees to be very active on the trade market this winter. If there is a seemingly out of no where deal that happens, I bet it'll be for Madison Bumgarner. Giants are horrible across all levels, they could more or less acquire 4-6 really good pieces for him.

Hold Torres, make everyone else available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad