OT: MLB Thread - Part XVIII: Home Stretch for Yanks. Coup de Grâce for Mets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Anyone who did that didn't pay attention to how they got to the WS.

That and they banked on a bunch of young arms staying healthy. That is just a bad bet these days.
Wrong. They had a solid foundation to build around. They had the best starting rotation in the league by far at that point. Young pieces were also knocking on the door. They were gonna be built like the Giants who have been the most successful team this decade.

But then their arms fell off.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Gardner
Judge
Sanchez
Didi
Hicks
Castro
Bird
T. Frazier
Headley

Not sure how I feel about Bird being demoted in the lineup.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Wrong. They had a solid foundation to build around. They had the best starting rotation in the league by far at that point. Young pieces were also knocking on the door

ICYMI:

"They banked on a bunch of young arms staying healthy. That is just a bad bet these days."

The foundation of their team is/was their starting pitching. The reason they sucked this year was because it completely fell apart- their offense was actually pretty good before they started trading everyone away.

Which young pieces were knocking on the door? Their 2 best prospects didn't see a game until August this season. Rosario started 2016 in High A ball, that isn't knocking on the door.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
ICYMI:

"They banked on a bunch of young arms staying healthy. That is just a bad bet these days."

The foundation of their team is/was their starting pitching. The reason they sucked this year was because it completely fell apart- their offense was actually pretty good before they started trading everyone away.

Which young pieces were knocking on the door? Their 2 best prospects didn't see a game until August this season. Rosario started 2016 in High A ball, that isn't knocking on the door.
You're looking too much into semantics. Rosario was probably good enough to start on the team this season. Conforto as we know was obviously an All-Star as well. Those 2 are core players on any team in the league.

Stocking up on young arms is risky, but the Giants got away with it for 3 titles. They overworked Cain, Bumgarner and Lincecum early in their careers.

They are 1 yr removed from losing a WC game to the best postseason pitcher of this generation. I'd be shocked if they make the playoffs next year, but it isn't impossible.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Pretty big game for Tanaka considering he's a free agent. He puts in another performance like he did vs. the Indians and he prob gets to write a blank cheque in free agency.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He has over 60 million due to him over the next 3 seasons.

I don't see teams knocking down the doors to top that with the uncertainty of his elbow. Not to mention he didn't exactly have an awesome season. Better in the 2nd half for sure, but even then he had some realllly ugly starts (I hope that he doesn't have one of those in about 20 minutes.)

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
At this point, I'm honestly not sure what Tanaka is going to do. Say he has a dominant game tonight, but the Yankees still lose this series. He may very well opt-out.
I think the Phillies will go on a spending spree this winter. They only have 6.5m committed for 2018 Lol.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Big problem this year was that everyone not named deGrom or Jerry Blevins got hurt at some point.

Like, literally. That's not an exaggeration.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Bird reminds me so f***ing much of Paul O'Neill.

They're both really fine hitters, power guys who will take a single in context, hit the ball high, both really intense guys, got that same lefty swing.

Bird has even more power though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad