OT: MLB Thread - Part XVIII: Home Stretch for Yanks. Coup de Grâce for Mets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Houston should in reality start some crappy guy tomorrow and go for it with their best guys in 6-7 but no manager would ever have the balls to do that

Starting a crappy guy tommorow means no McCullers in potential game 7.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't know a single manager who would willingly punt a game in the playoffs, especially when tied.

Baseball is crazy. Hinch could do that and easily win game 5 and then watch Verlander and Keuchel get bombed in games 6 and 7.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I don't know a single manager who would willingly punt a game in the playoffs, especially when tied.

Baseball is crazy. Hinch could do that and easily win game 5 and then watch Verlander and Keuchel get bombed in games 6 and 7.

I'm pretty sure Keuchel had been somewhat meh most of the last 8 weeks of the season but of course he saw the Yankees and returned to unhittable form.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah but that doesn't mean that hes a lock to be unhittable his time time out.

He can even be great, but it won't mean anything if his bullpen blows it for him as they did tonight.

Keuchel was awesome in September btw. He sucked after coming off of the DL in August.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Logically, it makes sense to start Keuchel, Verlander then McHugh/McCullers for the Astros.

For the Yankees, it's pretty much guaranteed it will be Tanaka, Severino and CC.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yeah but that doesn't mean that hes a lock to be unhittable his time time out.

He can even be great, but it won't mean anything if his bullpen blows it for him as they did tonight.

Keuchel was awesome in September btw. He sucked after coming off of the DL in August.

Or the offense can go missing and it won't matter how great Keuchel is. That's baseball.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Think about it.. Last year we were pretty much going the route of full scorched earth rebuild.

12 months later, they're 2 wins away from reaching the World Series.

Insanity.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Think about it.. Last year we were pretty much going the route of full scorched earth rebuild.

Insanity.

Its pretty much the same thing the 91 Braves and 15 Mets did except those 2 did not win the World Series but going into the season most thought all 3 teams were another 2 year or so away

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013

Insanity.

The scariest part is we're only going to get better, at least with regards to the position players. Starting pitching is by far our weakest link, but it's not even that bad. Severino, Tanaka, and Gray are a fine 1-2-3 combo. Montgomery may be very good at some point, but it's hard to tell. We just need a fifth. Sabathia, while being very good this postseason thus far, isn't getting younger, and who knows how much longer he'll last. Plus, we have no idea if Tanaka is going to opt out or not at this point.

The most frustrating and depressing thing is Betances. Like wtf happened to him? It's not like he's a new guy, he's never had issues this bad, and I feel like this all fall on Rothschild. I'm worried we're just going to bail on him. When he's on, he's one of the best in the game. But Green, Warren, Kahnle, Robertson, and Chapman is a filthy f***ing bullpen.

But looking to the future, we have a very good core, and we have guys like Torres and Florian yet to come. And Clint Frazier may be really good at some point.

If you're a Yankees fan, you have to be thrilled. Even if we lose, this is monumental for Judge, Sanchez, Bird, and Severino, just as experience, just to see what it's like to be in this situation against the best of the best.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Its pretty much the same thing the 91 Braves and 15 Mets did except those 2 did not win the World Series but going into the season most thought all 3 teams were another 2 year or so away

Serious question: What the hell happened to the Mets? Like it's hard to fathom.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Their arms fell apart.

I think they were not very good to begin with. They got hot for 50 games in 2015 and went on a run. Remember that as of 7/30 that year they were a .500 team and were as bad through the first half in 2016.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think they were not very good to begin with. They got hot for 50 games in 2015 and went on a run. Remember that as of 7/30 that year they were a .500 team and were as bad through the first half in 2016.

I don't completely disagree. They were carried to the WS on the back of Daniel Murphy turning into Barry Bonds for 2 weeks. I think they probably had enough to take down Chicago even if he cooled off, but they don't get through the Division Series with out Murphy going bonkers.

They were carried from the trade deadline on by Cespedes being absurdly hot too.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
How much time do you have?

This season was about as abysmal as it gets. Probably the worst I've ever seen since I became a fan.

It's more about going from WS series contenders in 2015 to getting shut out in the WC last season, to getting nowhere close to being contenders this season. I know they had a f*** ton of injuries, but are they good enough as a team to be contenders again next year? Or was 2015 their best chance for a while?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It's more about going from WS series contenders in 2015 to getting shut out in the WC last season, to getting nowhere close to being contenders this season. I know they had a **** ton of injuries, but are they good enough as a team to be contenders again next year? Or was 2015 their best chance for a while?
Thats the thing... Everyone was claiming the Mets will be back, perennial contenders, etc. You never know what could happen. It could be another 15 years before they make it to the World Series again.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
The thing with developing prospects as we know... is that they could all fizzle out potentially. I worry about that with the Yankees, they have lots of good pieces but we have to see how they perform in an ever increasing role up to and through the majors. Don't want to put all the eggs in the basket so to speak but they look good and it's very interesting that they made it to the ALCS/comparable conference final. I have shell shock with prospect development and such.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Thats the thing... Everyone was claiming the Mets will be back, perennial contenders, etc. You never know what could happen. It could be another 15 years before they make it to the World Series again.

Anyone who did that didn't pay attention to how they got to the WS.

That and they banked on a bunch of young arms staying healthy. That is just a bad bet these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad