OT: MLB Thread - Part XIX: Yankees Hire Boone. Joe Buck Still Unenthused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I don't know that they were ever really in on him.

Their salary situation is quietly pretty messy. Dombro has done a bang up job in Boston.

they are 100% going over the threshold this year. their window is right now, they are going to sign a big bat, probably JDM which will put them well over the luxury tax. they have some coming off the books in a couple years (porcello @ 21 aav, hanley 22, kimbrel 12 etc).

the problem is where does JDM fit. Boras says he's going to play the outfield. that's bad for Boston because their OF is one of the best. probably means trading Bradley and shifting Bettts to Center, Benintendi to right and sticking JDM in left.

unless Hanely/Moreland do some platoon at 1b or something and JDM gives in and full time DH's. he better hit because he's gonna get paid a lot of $$ to only hit and not field in that case.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think the six-man rotation was a thing that would happen if they got Ohtani. Have a tough time seeing the reason for it now.

Not so sure about that.

Never know when CC's knee will give out and getting that extra day of rest will help keep him fresh.

Same goes for Tanaka and his elbow.

They are 5 starters deep now and are still in the market for a 6th.

Montgomery has shown more than capable of being a 4th 5th type guy.

What's the point of adding that 6th guy if you are not already quasi committed to a 6man rotation

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Did Gordon and Stanton cost much? They are giving their players away, Realmuto is now asking for a trade, what leverage do they have? I'd send them Dom Smith and a low level prospect.

This myth that the Mets don't have pieces to trade makes no sense to me. The Mets farm is no doubt bad with the recent graduations of the two best players in the system, but its bad, not completely bereft of tradable players. Every farm system has tradable players for just about any player who isn't Trout level. The systems that are deeper can better absorb the trade. Its a similar situation to these trades the Rangers made over the years. We always had the players to trade, if we needed to make a trade. We just didn't have much left after we would make a trade.

Gordon/Stanton situation is different to Yelich/Realmuto.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Realmuto is an entirely different situation than Gordon and Stanton. His salary is tolerable and has years of control. He has more value. The Marlins have more leverage in this case. They don’t have to move him even if he asked for a trade.

Yup. Really good player still cheap and under control.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He's the lefty you plug between Judge and Stanton.

Not sure what happened to Moose's D last season. The year before that he was a plus defender.

ACL reconstruction the season before.

The fly ball heavy swing in YS would be a recipe for awesomeness though. I know some will balk at that claiming that we don't need anymore home run hitters (we don't) but he doesn't strike out a ton either.

On a 1 year deal, its a no brainer at the right cost.

I'd probably still plug Bird between Judge and Stanton.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Because we need more power... lol..

I mean 1 year deals are never bad but the guy doesn't get on base, .314 despite hitting .272, He doesn't strike out a ton tho (94 in 550+ ABs) and obviously has power.
So he's basically a 3B version of Gregorius. I'd pass, prefer players that can work counts and draw walks consistently. Headley was great at that.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
No 1st round picks anymore, and the compensation goes by the amount of the contract now since the new CBA, I'm assuming if he had to take a 1 year deal, the compensation wouldn't be big at all

We were over the luxury tax so we'd lose our 2nd and 5th highest draft picks plus some of the international slot money.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Gardner
Judge
Bird
Stanton
Moustakas
Sanchez
Didi
Hicks
Torres

Sanchez in the 6th hole is lol.

So he's basically a 3B version of Gregorius. I'd pass, prefer players that can work counts and draw walks consistently. Headley was great at that.

Headley was marginally better in P/PA than Moustakas last year. He'd be similar in the sense to Didi in the sense that neither of them walk much, but he also has one of the highest FB rates in the league. That translates very well to YS. Honestly if you hit him behind the higher OBP guys, you don't really want him to walk.

Frazier otoh was one of the tops in the league in P/PA so if thats your thing, he's your guy.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Gardner, Judge, Stanton, Sanchez and Bird should get on base at pretty good clips lol. Hicks maybe too if last season wasn't a fluke.

Then there's also Torres who in a full season in the minors never had a OBP below .350 over a full season (combined levels).

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Gardner
Judge
Bird
Stanton
Moustakas
Sanchez
Didi
Hicks
Torres

Sanchez in the 6th hole is lol.

Mine is slightly different but like yours alot. Batting Judge 2nd and moving big boppers up 1 slot each means you are giving them extra at bats. Could be 30-40 at bats extra over the course of the season.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Can't help but laugh when people say that your best hitter needs to hit at 3 or even 4. Your best hitter should be hitting 2nd with your best speed/on base combo player in the lead off spot.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Post says Yankees have the pieces to get Cole without Torres or Florial.

"Other Yankees names of interest to the Pirates are outfielder Clint Frazier, third baseman Miguel Andujar and right-hander Chance Adams."

Ny post

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I really want Bird hitting between Judge and Stanton. Judge and Stanton can hit without much protection, Bird between them should get fastball after fastball. and it just may happen that Sanchez will be protecting Stanton lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad