OT: MLB Thread - Part XIX: Yankees Hire Boone. Joe Buck Still Unenthused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
It is sad.

I've been saying it since last season, he's a power pitcher that no longer has good stuff who doesn't know how to actually pitch. Unless it warms up and he magically gains 3-4 MPH, he's essentially done, IMO. We need Vargas to make it back.

His career died when he came back for the 9th inning in Game 5 of the World Series

That's how I gauge my personal timeline of Matt Harvey greatness :laugh:

Blueshirts777

May 8, 2017
It's the starters that are killing the Yankees, bottom of the league in quality starts and bullpen is getting overworked. David Robertson is a game away from having the same amount of IP's as Gray, Montgomery and CC. He's on pace to have 40 more innings pitched than his highest season, this is just not sustainable. At this point we have 3 starters that we hope can get to 5 innings every game it seems and 1 that can only get to 6. I know it's only the first 20 games but these guys need to get going and pitch deeper

Reactions: RGY

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yankees going to need one of these three to make a push this season ; AA so far

Sheffield ; 1-1 , 3.38 ERA 22 SO 16 IP in 3 starts

Acevedo ; 0-1 , 2.61 ERA 8 SO 10.1 IP in 2 starts ; on the 7-day DL

Tate ; 1-0 , 0.90 ERA 9 SO 10 IP in 2 starts

Seems like they are monitoring the innings. That or they are throwing a lot of pitches to not make it 6 or 7 innings. Still early. I am really hopeful for Tate and so far so good. But they need one of these guys to force their way to the big leagues this year. They need to get CC out of that rotation. They need starters that can go 6 innings. They cant absue their bullpen all year

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Actually what the Yankees should do with Neil Walker is play him everyday. Because he is good.
Yea because he has shown that in the first three weeks. I liked his bat and thats about it. His fielding is average normally and thus far has been mediocre. He has been abysmal at making decent contact.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Walker has always been a good player. I guess the fear with him is whether his back will always hold up. I know the surgery was 2016, but still, he's 32, it wouldn't be unforeseen for a guy to break down on his own at that age, regardless of the back. I think he'll be fine, it's really early, but it does bear watching.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Giancarlo's mechanics just seem off. His eye has been getting better, he hasn't been forcing the issue and has taken some really tough pitches, but he's been missing some meatballs. Just fouling them off. I'm sure he'll get it soon, but he's not in the right place right now mechanically.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Cashman has generally done a good job as GM but starting pitching is his achilles heel. Gray is another in a long line of putrid acquisitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad