MLB The Show 19

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Yeah so basically as I expected they have done what amounts to nothing at all to Franchise....Gonna be the first year in a decade that this isn't going to be a day 1 buy. Gonna sit this one out a while.
Let me start off by saying I am in no way defending SDS here so please don't take it that way, just a general question. What would you want to add to Franchise? For me the presentation for winning the WS is non existent and would like that changed.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Let me start off by saying I am in no way defending SDS here so please don't take it that way, just a general question. What would you want to add to Franchise? For me the presentation for winning the WS is non existent and would like that changed.
My main two things is probably the amateur draft....It is frankly terrible and stat tracking should be a lot better. Some form of international signing would be great. The foundation of the franchise mode is great but it is has basically been untouched in 4 or 5 years now if they had just continually made smaller improvements there probably wouldn't be many problems but the last 2 years specifically they have done nothing.

Reactions: SPV

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
My main two things is probably the amateur draft....It is frankly terrible and stat tracking should be a lot better. Some form of international signing would be great. The foundation of the franchise mode is great but it is has basically been untouched in 4 or 5 years now if they had just continually made smaller improvements there probably wouldn't be many problems but the last 2 years specifically they have done nothing.
ya its pretty disappointing. All the attention is spent on RTTS and DD.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com

Those all sound like great ideas. Two of the main things I like about franchise mode are drafting/developing, and stat tracking. I hate that pretty much every franchise mode makes me have to do this in excel, rather than doing it for me. I think it would be awesome if the Show could partner with baseball reference, and after each season update the data to include my franchise information.

Any you are totally right about the draft, it needs some revamping; and better production values.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
ya its pretty disappointing. All the attention is spent on RTTS and DD.

SDS has clearly stated in the past they work on a 3 years cycle, I don't know why people expect huge changes for their modes during the years outside that. They went Franchise --> Diamond Dynasty --> this being year 3 of the cycle of RTTS. And if you look at the difference of RTTS from what this one will have to MLB 16 it's night and day. They are obviously going to update DD as their money maker along the way, but the investment in DD from 14-16 was huge (the 3 year cycle). I guarantee next year for MLB 20 you see the Franchise cycle start again.

It makes sense in a manpower sense, they can't make major changes every year to every mode. It takes a few years to really refine it, so they'll tweak as they go. Franchise is on deck.

And if there is one company that can be be trusted, I truly believe it's SDS. You can already see the shift as they move DD rewards to other game modes and especially Franchise mode with March to October, the shift is on. And in their stream of it they said you have the option if you fail or win at it to just continue on in Franchise with that team - they're moving the needle.

They are the pinnacle of sports games. Think about it, they've released over 5 hours of previews to their modes, just to scratch the surface of what you can do, and still not done, the big announcements are coming this week. A game like NHL hasn't changed in 5 years, and they will release a 30 second "gameplay trailer" on outdoor rinks for an entire year of effort. This is EA and 2K vs. small studio SDS. This team takes their game seriously. The others, want your micro transactions. They prove that there is no excuse for the other sport franchises to deliver the trash they do.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
SDS has clearly stated in the past they work on a 3 years cycle, I don't know why people expect huge changes for their modes during the years outside that. They went Franchise --> Diamond Dynasty --> this being year 3 of the cycle of RTTS. And if you look at the difference of RTTS from what this one will have to MLB 16 it's night and day. They are obviously going to update DD as their money maker along the way, but the investment in DD from 14-16 was huge (the 3 year cycle). I guarantee next year for MLB 20 you see the Franchise cycle start again.

It makes sense in a manpower sense, they can't make major changes every year to every mode. It takes a few years to really refine it, so they'll tweak as they go. Franchise is on deck.

And if there is one company that can be be trusted, I truly believe it's SDS. You can already see the shift as they move DD rewards to other game modes and especially Franchise mode with March to October, the shift is on. And in their stream of it they said you have the option if you fail or win at it to just continue on in Franchise with that team - they're moving the needle.

They are the pinnacle of sports games. Think about it, they've released over 5 hours of previews to their modes, just to scratch the surface of what you can do, and still not done, the big announcements are coming this week. A game like NHL hasn't changed in 5 years, and they will release a 30 second "gameplay trailer" on outdoor rinks for an entire year of effort. This is EA and 2K vs. small studio SDS. This team takes their game seriously. The others, want your micro transactions. They prove that there is no excuse for the other sport franchises to deliver the trash they do.
when did this 3 year cycle start?

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
when did this 3 year cycle start?

I don't remember the exact year but a long time ago, looking back at the game cycle improvements pretty sure it went:
08-10 - Road to the Show
11-13 - Franchise
14-16 - Diamond Dynasty
17-19 - RTTS
20-22 will be franchise again

You can see the shift already starting as they're pushing things into and towards the franchise mode (unlockables, March to October, mid season contracts, etc.). If there was a wager here I would go all in on betting MLB 20 is franchise oriented, return of online franchise, vast improvements to owner mode..

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I don't remember the exact year but a long time ago, looking back at the game cycle improvements pretty sure it went:
08-10 - Road to the Show
11-13 - Franchise
14-16 - Diamond Dynasty
17-19 - RTTS
20-22 will be franchise again

You can see the shift already starting as they're pushing things into and towards the franchise mode (unlockables, March to October, mid season contracts, etc.). If there was a wager here I would go all in on betting MLB 20 is franchise oriented, return of online franchise, vast improvements to owner mode..
Didn't they say they took away online franchise because not many people played it? I hope you're right though.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Didn't they say they took away online franchise because not many people played it? I hope you're right though.

Nah, that's NHL that said nobody played it (which people loved but it was their 2 hour sims of a week that killed engagement). MLB's reasoning was to provide server stability on the launch of 18, which is pretty weak itself and a knock against the last version. I don't know how much more dedicated servers cost but that should have been done if possible instead.

I would wager though that it is being overhauled to gear up for the franchise direction starting next year. If I'm wrong I'll come in and eat my words here but they haven't gone out and given me reason to believe otherwise over the last decade.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
For those of you into DD, it looks as though SDS are making some really good changes. I'm really liking the way XP matters now and the multiple ways you can earn cards. From yesterdays stream it looks like you can get some really good cards just by playing the game how you normally would and not some tedious grind.

Reactions: Roman Fell

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Just reverting last year's change to re-signing players would improve franchise a ton.

Felt like such a chore to do it.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
They’re talking a good game about lineup diversity in DD but I have my doubts. I love some of the changes they’ve made though. You get genuinely rewarded for just playing the game. XP matters a lot and I like that. I do wonder if an XP exploit will be found early on and abused before its patched for some people to really stack their squads early. That would be disappointing but we’ll see. I really wish the game released today so I could play all weekend :(

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
They’re talking a good game about lineup diversity in DD but I have my doubts. I love some of the changes they’ve made though. You get genuinely rewarded for just playing the game. XP matters a lot and I like that. I do wonder if an XP exploit will be found early on and abused before its patched for some people to really stack their squads early. That would be disappointing but we’ll see. I really wish the game released today so I could play all weekend :(
SDS specifically said they are watching closely about exploits and would try and patch them right away. I don't think it would be a big deal tbh. I have a feeling if there was an exploit, it wouldn't be so easy to do because missions take some time. just my thoughts though

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I got last year's game a few days early since my GameStop had an early release for some reason. I couldn't do anything except play offline against the AI with non-updated rosters. :laugh:

Last year the preorders were relaeased a few days early. I was so excited about it....but then my wife played a trip to so visit her family and I lost all the early release time

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Definitely will be playing tonight. At least open my packs and play a couple conquest games. I’m so excited. I wasted all of my stubs on ‘18 yesterday just opening packs for the hell of it. I opened probably like 200 total since they’re half price and I quicksold pretty much everything in my collection and everything of value I got from packs. Hopefully I have some better luck tonight as I only pulled a few decent cards, one being diamond Joey Votto, which is nice, but not much else other than that. I preordered the special edition(this is the only game I ever do that for) because Diamond Dynasty is the best Ultimate Team mode by far. I always put a ton of time into it so the extra packs, stubs, and the diamond player go a long way. Building a decent squad to get through conquest is priority number 1 at this point.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Definitely will be playing tonight. At least open my packs and play a couple conquest games. I’m so excited. I wasted all of my stubs on ‘18 yesterday just opening packs for the hell of it. I opened probably like 200 total since they’re half price and I quicksold pretty much everything in my collection and everything of value I got from packs. Hopefully I have some better luck tonight as I only pulled a few decent cards, one being diamond Joey Votto, which is nice, but not much else other than that. I preordered the special edition(this is the only game I ever do that for) because Diamond Dynasty is the best Ultimate Team mode by far. I always put a ton of time into it so the extra packs, stubs, and the diamond player go a long way. Building a decent squad to get through conquest is priority number 1 at this point.
Who are you choosing as your diamond player?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Who are you choosing as your diamond player?
I haven't decided. I'm probably going to open all of my packs before I make my decision. I'm leaning towards Rickey Henderson though. Should be reasonably high contact, decent power, extreme speed, and great defense. Would be great having him hit leadoff in all of those conquest games I'm going to play where one run is all you really need. Torii Hunter looks absolutely unreal too, as does Tony Gwynn. It will be very difficult to decide.

Probably not going to go with a pitcher unless I get absolutely no good starters out of my preorder packs. I want someone I can play with every game.

My only issue is that there are always so many great outfielders, but finding a great SS or catcher is sometimes an issue, so I might lean towards Gary Carter.

Basically, I have no idea, but I'm leaning towards Henderson because I like to have speed at the top of my lineup.

What about you?

Reactions: gilfaizon

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I haven't decided. I'm probably going to open all of my packs before I make my decision. I'm leaning towards Rickey Henderson though. Should be reasonably high contact, decent power, extreme speed, and great defense. Would be great having him hit leadoff in all of those conquest games I'm going to play where one run is all you really need. Torii Hunter looks absolutely unreal too, as does Tony Gwynn. It will be very difficult to decide.

Probably not going to go with a pitcher unless I get absolutely no good starters out of my preorder packs. I want someone I can play with every game.

My only issue is that there are always so many great outfielders, but finding a great SS or catcher is sometimes an issue, so I might lean towards Gary Carter.

Basically, I have no idea, but I'm leaning towards Henderson because I like to have speed at the top of my lineup.

What about you?
I was debating over Rickey or Posey or maybe Ripken? I don't even know anymore lol. I feel like defense if going to matter a lot this year so that leaves out guys that have poor fielding stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad