MLB suspends Trevor Bauer for two seasons - UPD: arbitrator rules suspension is over & DFA'd

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If what happened to Bauer is unjust, given he was not charged or found guilty, you would think he would investigate his legal options? If feasible, couldn't he sue major league baseball for an unjust suspension and loss of his salary?

Committing a crime has nothing to do with whether MLB can suspend him.

Gambling on baseball isn't a crime, but anyone caught gambling on baseball will be banned for life.

The only way that Bauer would have recourse is if he could prove he didn't do the thing that MLB is saying he did that brought the game into disrepute, and that isn't going to happen.

Like I've said before, this is probably the weirdest case of this type I've ever seen. I don't think that Bauer actually committed a crime, but what he did is to me far creepier and worse than if he had committed a crime. If I had a choice between an Osuna-type as a teammate who got drunk and punched his wife in an argument but probably feels bad about it and regrets it and a Bauer-type who actually gets off on beating up and injuring women and has zero regrets ... I'd take the wife beater on my team. Bauer is a f***ing sicko.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He could probably try to get lost wages back through the union, but he can’t really accuse baseball of defamation or anything worth suing for. They took the information gathered and filed it under ‘code of conduct’ violations. As said above, players don’t have to do criminal acts to get suspended. Big Ben in the NFL is an example.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Committing a crime has nothing to do with whether MLB can suspend him.

Gambling on baseball isn't a crime, but anyone caught gambling on baseball will be banned for life.

The only way that Bauer would have recourse is if he could prove he didn't do the thing that MLB is saying he did that brought the game into disrepute, and that isn't going to happen.

Like I've said before, this is probably the weirdest case of this type I've ever seen. I don't think that Bauer actually committed a crime, but what he did is to me far creepier and worse than if he had committed a crime. If I had a choice between an Osuna-type as a teammate who got drunk and punched his wife in an argument but probably feels bad about it and regrets it and a Bauer-type who actually gets off on beating up and injuring women and has zero regrets ... I'd take the wife beater on my team. Bauer is a f***ing sicko.

Did the women in question not come out and say they wanted that or were OK with it? Takes two to tango.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Did the women in question not come out and say they wanted that or were OK with it? Takes two to tango.

In a legal sense, yes. That's what I said in my initial post. A crime might not have been committed here.

But whether a crime was technically committed doesn't change the fact that Bauer is an absolute sicko who gets off on beating up women to the point where they end up in hospital.

And to me when evaluating the person, that's worse than someone who has a drunken spousal abuse incident like Osuna. And I'd take Osuna on my team over Bauer (although obviously I'd want neither).

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
In a legal sense, yes. That's what I said in my initial post. A crime might not have been committed here.

But whether a crime was technically committed doesn't change the fact that Bauer is an absolute sicko who gets off on beating up women to the point where they end up in hospital.

And to me when evaluating the person, that's worse than someone who has a drunken spousal abuse incident like Osuna. And I'd take Osuna on my team over Bauer (although obviously I'd want neither).

Are you saying he actually didn't commit a crime, or just that there's not enough evidence or too much doubt to get him convicted? Big difference

If the former, I'm not sure how you could say that's worse than a convicted Spousal Abuser.

I guess the possible perceptions of him and the situation are that he's into kinky and rough sex woman(en) are looking for money or he's a psychopath meticulously towing the line of consensual sex and rape.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

People have fetishes. Clearly the other women had the same one.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If your fetish is beating up women so badly that they end up in the hospital, you're a warped sicko and I wouldn't want you anywhere near my sports team.

I might be wrong, but I thought it was her thing, and he was simply obliging in her fantasy

Reactions: Voight

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
If what happened to Bauer is unjust, given he was not charged or found guilty, you would think he would investigate his legal options? If feasible, couldn't he sue major league baseball for an unjust suspension and loss of his salary?
No, I don't think he could.

A court would simply decide whether or not his suspension was valid as per the XBA (It unquestionably is) and that the appeals process was followed (again, it unquestionably was).

Courts will always defer to a CBA for workplace disputes.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
It is not much better. Would you be able to beat up someone that way even if they wanted to? I know I could not.
When people can be found dead in closets with a belt around their neck and their hand on their junk, I leave nothing out of the imagination when it comes to that stuff. People got weird kinks. Some of them are funny. Some of them are disturbing. Spanking is violent.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It is not much better. Would you be able to beat up someone that way even if they wanted to? I know I could not.

Right, which is your preference in the bedroom. For others it's what they choose to engage in. As long as its between consenting adults, then get your rocks off

No bedroom preference has a moral superiority over another

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Note, Bauer is almost certainly (if he hasn't confirmed already) that he is signing in NPB over MLB because this way the Dodgers still have to pay him his full salary. If he had signed in MLB, his new salary would have offset what the Dodgers owed him.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Note, Bauer is almost certainly (if he hasn't confirmed already) that he is signing in NPB over MLB because this way the Dodgers still have to pay him his full salary. If he had signed in MLB, his new salary would have offset what the Dodgers owed him.

Yeah that and nobody wanted him in mlb

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
There was interest. Just from a limited number of teams and for league minimum. If he pitches well in Japan, I have no doubt he will be back next year assuming he has no more legal trouble.

So there wasn't any real interest....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad