MLB off-season News & Notes thread (Phils sign Kingery to 6 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Seeing reports that the Marlins want Acuna + for Yelich.

Aaaaand that's why a deal hasn't gotten done.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
maybe he just didn't want to be traded from a dumpster fire non-contender to a team that's still a bit away from contention in a ****ty (pun intended) stadium.
That probably had something to do with it. As I'm sure playing in a state where basically none of his money is taxed to going to one where almost all of it is.

I don't have an isaue with what he said. He's only saying what I'm sure a lot of players think but don't. Plus comments like his lead to guys like Kaval getting hired, which hopefully leads to culture and stadium changes.

A's got what they needed; a right handed batting/throwing competent, team-controlled corner of'er that puts Davis and his bat strictly at dh. Ozuna was a luxury, not a need. The A's were 4th in all of baseball in dingerz!1 last year. They need better defense and starting pitching if they're going to win.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Acuna is about as untouchable as one can get.

From Dave O'Brien (Braves beat writer)

Peter Gammons reported that the Marlins told the Braves that any deal for Yelich has to include Acuna as the primary part of the return package, and I can confirm that is the case. The Marlins are demanding Acuna from the Braves, and as long as they continue to demand that he be part of any deal for Yelich, you can cross the Braves off the potential landing spots for Yelich.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Issue here is it'd be for one season, because I just don't see the Indians giving him a 400 million dollar contract. or anything over 100.

So do you trade Salazar for a 6-8 win player even tho you made the WS without him? I can see them making a move at the deadline to give a big push, but with a lesser package.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Longoria on pace of play, discusses why games take longer, and how potential changes to the pace of play aren't helping the players.

''In my opinion the truth of it is the game is taking longer now because the players are better and there's more of a need for specialization, there's more of a need for more time because it's tough to think that fast,'' Longoria said. ''The game moves fast, although the games take long there's a lot of different situations that present themselves throughout the course of the game that take a little bit longer then back in 1930 when the same pitcher pitched 150 pitches and it didn't matter the situation.''

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I get the Indians want a player to get them over the top into the World Series and Machado could be it. Still do they move what it'd take to get Machado for just 1 year? I doubt it very much.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I hope it happens. CLE has fallen behind HOU and arguably NYY (not necessarily in terms of record as CLE will beat up on their division and probably win 95+) and the windows are so short in small markets. They need one more big move in my view to win it all and you get a pick back next winter when Machado inevitably walks.

Machado at 3B, Lindor at SS and Ramirez at 2B would be an incredible trio in the IF.

You'd still have Kluber-Carrasco-Bauer-Clevinger-Tomlin. More than fine to go to war with the goliaths.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I get the Indians want a player to get them over the top into the World Series and Machado could be it. Still do they move what it'd take to get Machado for just 1 year? I doubt it very much.

Their window is only so big, while you make the argument they made the fall classic with the current roster, the Yankees and Astros have also both improved tenfold since then. Trading a guy like Salazar would suck but you are getting a top player and your rotation is still solid.

Austin Jackson 2 yr deal with the Giants.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Who would you guys see the Indians trading for Machado though? He'd put them over the top probably but wouldn't it cost them a Ramirez or Lindor to do it? Baltimore's a mid level team, don't know if they'd want all prospects for Machado.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Who would you guys see the Indians trading for Machado though? He'd put them over the top probably but wouldn't it cost them a Ramirez or Lindor to do it? Baltimore's a mid level team, don't know if they'd want all prospects for Machado.

Salazar

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I hope it happens. CLE has fallen behind HOU and arguably NYY (not necessarily in terms of record as CLE will beat up on their division and probably win 95+) and the windows are so short in small markets. They need one more big move in my view to win it all and you get a pick back next winter when Machado inevitably walks.

Machado at 3B, Lindor at SS and Ramirez at 2B would be an incredible trio in the IF.

You'd still have Kluber-Carrasco-Bauer-Clevinger-Tomlin. More than fine to go to war with the goliaths.

And they can always add a mid rotation arm come deadline to avoid Clevinger and Tomlin making any starts in the postseason.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
:huh:

2017 National League Division Series (NLDS) Game 3, Los Angeles Dodgers at Arizona Diamondbacks, October 9, 2017 | Baseball-Reference.com

2017 National League Championship Series (NLCS) Game 3, Los Angeles Dodgers at Chicago Cubs, October 17, 2017 | Baseball-Reference.com

You can't be a playoff "choker" half the time. Either you are or you aren't.

No one is going to dispute he got lit up in the World Series, but when you take this into account (How Yu Darvish tipped his pitches in the World Series), you realize it has nothing to do with choking and everything to do with making necessary mechanical adjustments.

Whether it's prudent to give a 7-year contract to a 31-year-old pitcher who's had TJ surgery is an entirely different issue.

He’s 2-4 with a 5.88 era in the playoffs, sucked against the Jays along with the meltdowns vs the Astros. Overall, he’s been trash in the playoffs and that’s with the two gems you mentioned.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

There is no way Baltimore would be stupid enough to ask for Ramirez/Lindor for one year of Machado. But Salazar would be the Indians key piece, the Orioles crave young starting pitchers and hes got some years behind him so its more enticing than a prospect. Obviously CLE would have to add a few B or C level prospects but its definitely doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad