MLB off-season News & Notes thread (Phils sign Kingery to 6 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
pretty surprised darvish turned NYY down

it's gotta be between texas and LA now

If they can't get rid of Ells then they are out either way. They are obsessed with not hitting the luxury tax. He'd obviously be a welcome addition but they are good with or without him.

Avoid arbitration at $23M? How much did Donaldson think he'd get? Jeez.

Can't fault the guy for shooting for the moon, especially now that he's in his early 30's.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Donaldson signed the one year deal to avoid arbitration. He was only ever getting one year unless he signed a long-term contract. The one year deal to avoid arbitration makes sense for both sides - Donaldson remains eligible for free agency next offseason and the team will have at least to July to assess whether Donaldson will be a part of the team going forward.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I saw something along the lines of a 7 year, 160, and then someone refuting it by saying 7 year, 120.

I still would have to imagine that him getting 7 years would be something of a coup. It's hard to tell... my guess is that he might be waiting a little bit on a Cole trade, since that would basically make him the only impact option available (I don't think there's even a chance Archer or Fulmer are moved now).

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

So it appears the Padres are moving out of the 'trade everything for futures' phase and have entered the 'try to retain your talent to build something' phase.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Its unfortunate Shatkins don't care to pay Donaldson what hes worth over a 4-5 year contract. The best player they've had since Alomar and they don't care to keep him around.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Its unfortunate Shatkins don't care to pay Donaldson what hes worth over a 4-5 year contract. The best player they've had since Alomar and they don't care to keep him around.

Makes zero sense. Former AL MVP, and the Jays have taken him to arbitration twice. :facepalm:

Almost as if their aversion to five year deals is still in place, years after AA left town.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, keeping Donaldson long-term would be key but I doubt Toronto does that. I think he's gone at the trade deadline if Toronto's out of the playoff race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad