MLB off-season News & Notes thread (Phils sign Kingery to 6 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I read before that Jim Bowden is reporting that Angelos may block any potential Machado trade. Sure, let’s keep him and lose him for a lousy comp pick at the end of the year. Idiot...

Instead of manning up and paying him (or at least trying to, I'd understand if Machado wanted to test free agency with the way players get paid these days - you should still offer tho) he's got two options

1) Keep him to keep your fans happy, but basically lose him for nothing next fall, or trade him at the deadline and get half of what you'd get today

2) Suck it up and trade him now. Your smart fans will be understandings and you can sell the prospects you get to the dumb ones who don't understand the concept of getting value for a pending UFA.

Anyhow, so apparently last night at the Marlins season ticket holders meeting, Marlins Man and Jeter were talking and Marlins Man hit him with "do YOU know who I am?" all due respect to MM but hes just a guy who wears a Marlins jersey & sits front row at sporting events, Jeter is one of the most recognizable athletes of his time.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If I'm the Cardinals I'd try to get Archer with Colome.

You would literally have to give the whole farm and/or really good young MLB ready players like Alex Reyes

Archer is controlled at a ridiculous 7.5 AAV for 4 years and Colome is arb-controllable for 3 years.

Reactions: Voight

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I did not know that. Thanks for explaining.

If your team received revenue sharing last year and the departing player signed a contract worth more than $50 million guaranteed, the former team will receive a compensatory draft pick from the sandwich round between Rounds 1 and 2. If the player signs a deal for less than $50 million, however, that pick will come after Competitive Balance Round B, which comes after Round 2.
But there's more! If the former team was over the luxury tax last year, then it will receive a compensatory draft pick after the fourth round. If the team was neither a luxury tax payee nor a revenue sharing recipient, then it will receive a pick after Competitive Balance Round B.

Then there's some international money thing

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Can't remember an offseason where so many big names were this unsigned going into January. We're about 7 weeks or so away from camp starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad