MLB off-season News & Notes thread (Phils sign Kingery to 6 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
O's won't deal the Yankees Machado. It may make sense for the Sox to pull a Chapman. Trade for him at a reduced rate and sell high at the deadline to the Yankees.

And if he gets injured? Or struggles? or Yanks don't need him and decide they will wait until FA?

To much risk for White Sox

I would love Machado on team with an extension as face of franchise going forward but his unwillingness to sign extension is issue

Reactions: Voight

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
If the Yankees trade Clint Frazier I will be pissed. I don't care how they fit him into the line-up, I want him to stay a Yankee and be given some time to develop. Rumor is they may trade him for Garret Cole, do NOT trade Clint.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If the Yankees trade Clint Frazier I will be pissed. I don't care how they fit him into the line-up, I want him to stay a Yankee and be given some time to develop. Rumor is they may trade him for Garret Cole, do NOT trade Clint.

I'd drive him to Pitt myself for Cole.

Reactions: All Might

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I'd drive him to Pitt myself for Cole.

I'd love to know what's up with him. How does a guy with a career high of 11 homers allowed go all the way up to 31 allowed? ERA going up each year. He's no sure thing. I'd hang on to Frazier, when it puts it all together he has Donaldson potential.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'd love to know what's up with him. How does a guy with a career high of 11 homers allowed go all the way up to 31 allowed? ERA going up each year. He's no sure thing. I'd hang on to Frazier, when it puts it all together he has Donaldson potential.

The guy went from 4th in Cy voting to this. And that's with Ray Searge as his pitching coach.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Source: Indians agree to deal with M. Upton

Was hoping the Angels would sign him so we could recreate the best baseball meme of all time.....

BBZqpBZCAAAtSng.jpg

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
Part of the reason Sandoval fell of a cliff is that he kept his body in horrible shape. Hosmer is much more likely to maintain his usual performances, that are inconsistent from year-to-year. Hosmer will probably continue to fluctuate from a 4 win player to a borderline replacement player. People should've seen what was coming with Sandoval.

i'm not saying it's exact but those numbers include sandoval falling off a cliff and they're basically identical.

hosmer also doesn't fill a real need for the red sox. he's an overrated defensive player and boasts a career 111 ops+ at a position where you can usually stash a good offensive player. they got by with moreland and ramirez platooning last year, dropping 9 figures on eric hosmer for "intangibles" and that he "might stop being alternately good and terrible" might be the worst contract of the offseason.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Oh, I agree, he won't be worth the contract he'll get. I moved to KC about 3 years ago, he's incredibly overrated. I wouldn't give him more than 4 years/$60 million, maybe 5/75, but he just doesn't have the upside of a really long-term deal.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If I'm Machado, I'm not sold on that plan. What if some of the prospects fail or don't live up to expectations, and now you're locked in long-term to a non-contender with a contract only a very select few clubs can take on.

That would totally suck!

Making 30+ million a year to play baseball, yet your team never makes the playoffs

I'd probably just kill myself

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
If I'm Machado, I'm not sold on that plan. What if some of the prospects fail or don't live up to expectations, and now you're locked in long-term to a non-contender with a contract only a very select few clubs can take on.
It's a risk. You can also be part of the team that are the next Cubs in terms of multiple talented young players at every position.

Not sold on Phillies rebuild, but I think the ChiSox are close to a sure bet to compete within the next few years. Insanely stacked prospect group.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's a risk. You can also be part of the team that are the next Cubs in terms of multiple talented young players at every position.

Not sold on Phillies rebuild, but I think the ChiSox are close to a sure bet to compete within the next few years. Insanely stacked prospect group.

Or you can join a an already good team where you will still be a star/main guy, while knowing the team is actually going places.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

He's pitched better than his ERA suggests.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

His velocity and stuff are still there, he just threw 200 innings, he's still young. There's not much to be concerned about.

His HR/FB rate last year was almost double what it was his career the first 4 years in the league, i.e it's unsustainanble and the HR numbers will regress back to normal.

Both his floor and ceiling are still pretty damn high.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Oriole's wont apparently trade Machado to a team that will flip him to the Yankees, not exactly how they are going to ensure that unless they deal him to the BoSox, who don't seem interested.

Reactions: SnS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad