MLB off-season News & Notes thread (Phils sign Kingery to 6 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
young played for SD from 06-10 so yes, he and peavy were there at the same time

go get a-gon and call it a day

Reactions: Voight

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Speaking of those Padre teams

Whatever happened to Cla Meredith? Came into league looking like a legit talent in bullpen and then vanished off face of earth after a couple years

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
If T'wolves make it it'll be a big gap between M's and next worst

the browns gone longer without a playoff appearance than the t-wolves

browns-2002 wild card round
t-wolves-2004 WCF

next up after those two teams are the tb bucs who last made the playoffs in 07

Reactions: darko

Jadenb

May 20, 2017
I’m a fan, but I think a good spot for Yelich to land would be in St. Louis. Our outfield would look very good especially with Ozuna gone. One of the pieces going back to Miami could be Harrison Bader.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I’m a fan, but I think a good spot for Yelich to land would be in St. Louis. Our outfield would look very good especially with Ozuna gone. One of the pieces going back to Miami could be Harrison Bader.

We don't have room anymore, don't think we were planning on moving Fowler or Pham.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kind of quiet offseason other than Ohtani and Stanton :huh:

Luxury tax is finally slowing the spending of the big clubs, the smaller clubs still aren't spending much, and agents/players are still looking for the inflated prices when the top 10 or so clubs spent like crazy.

Eventually the asking prices will come down and we'll see a ton of moves in a short period of time.

Reactions: Voight

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Luxury tax is finally slowing the spending of the big clubs, the smaller clubs still aren't spending much, and agents/players are still looking for the inflated prices when the top 10 or so clubs spent like crazy.

Eventually the asking prices will come down and we'll see a ton of moves in a short period of time.

Agreed. Plus, baseball, like all the other sports, are seeing the real value in drafting and developing rather than spending a ton in free agency. Yankees are a prime example here.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
so apparently bob nightendale said that sox have made a 5 year offer to jd martinez and padres made a 7 year offer to hosmer. twitter is going crazy with that info but i cant find the original point

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
A Hosmer contract of that length wouldn't be as crippling as some of the other free agent contracts given out since he's still in his late 20s, but I am surprised that he supposedly has a seven year offer. I wouldn't give him that long of a contract.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
A Hosmer contract of that length wouldn't be as crippling as some of the other free agent contracts given out since he's still in his late 20s, but I am surprised that he supposedly has a seven year offer. I wouldn't give him that long of a contract.

Signing a player at any age that fluctuates to a borderline replacement player for 7 years is a colossal mistake.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Signing a player at any age that fluctuates to a borderline replacement player for 7 years is a colossal mistake.

Sure, but it's not like an A-Rod or Pujols type contract that gives them $25M or whatever in their age 40 season (yes, I know both players were generational talents). All MLB contracts look awful at the end of them.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sure, but it's not like an A-Rod or Pujols type contract that gives them $25M or whatever in their age 40 season (yes, I know both players were generational talents). All MLB contracts look awful at the end of them.

Just because other people make mistakes, doesn't mean you should too. A mistake is a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad