Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
This literally sounds like a conspiracy theory. Liljegren on the grassy knoll.

Leaf fans and trying to single out a single player as the fault of everything in a team game - usually the goalies - is like a form of mental illness.

Besides this is the “blame Marner for everything” thread!
It's day 1 of mourning. Thread titles don't apply

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He's not a playoff player. PERIOD.

He needs the refs to enforce the regular season ruleset. When it switches to physical intense hockey he doesn't have the skillset.

And for all the IQ just let's Pasta blow in at full speed, wasn't even a turnstile. Unbelievable
Early in overtime of game #7. Hard to believe Rielly and Sammy also suffered a brain cramp at the same time.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Marner is fixated on another Toronto Overpayment™ and I have a seriously hard time seeing him waiving a NMC. The kid knows for a fact that nowhere comes close to toronto when it comes to $$$.

I fully expect a lot of "I finally see the light" narrative from Mitch to try keep himself on the team.
Oh I have no doubt that Marner doesn't want to go anywhere. If I'm Tre, I make it clear to him that if he wants to stay, the only way it happens is if he takes a 1 year show me contract for like 5 million or something. Say he's doing it for the fans who deserve better blah blah blah. If he's willing to do that, he'll win a ton of fans back with that gesture and he can stay and get another crack at the playoffs but if he thinks he deserves today to continue being paid like a super crazy elite player, make it clear that it's not happening here until he proves he's worth it in the playoff, end of story. And if he doesn't like (and he won't), then you apply some pressure which will be easy to do in this town. No more mister nice guy, you tell him that the gloves are coming off and since he's going to play somewhere else next season anyway, may as well leave now and not suffer through what will be a very unpleasant season for him here.

Hopefully he got all the bad moves out of his system in CGY. Lets hope this doesn't end up like the Monahan situation. Or Gaudreau. Or Tkachuk.
Yeah I'm not sure how confident I am in him, all I can do is hope for the best. Maybe I'm just used to things going badly for us fans but I do feel like there's a decent chance that Marner will get what we wants this summer - one more big, fat, juicy gift of a contract that will as I said earlier, doom us fans to another decade of irrelevance.

Haha.

Sure.

Bridge deal 11AAV x3.

Take it or leave it.
I wouldn't give him that, not a chance. One year, at a massive discount is as far as I'd go. Call it payback to the fans.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
It's simple. We know Paul Marner is all about image for his kid. I am sure he is reading all over social media how people want to run his boy out of town today. Fans and media alike are all over him.

If I were Tre I would be like sorry we don't have plans to resign you so give me a list of 15 teams you want to play for and We'll deal you there and you can get your 8th year from them vs only 7 in FA.

Paul Marner is all about his kid's image and reputation. This way he can blame the Leafs and really who gives a shit

Reactions: arso40

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
I said I wouldn't defend marner because he doesn't deserve the energy right now, but keep in mind Tavares is off the books soon.

We have enough cap space to afford to run this exact core and still lead the league in goals and hits next season. Are we really trading Marner for a 1 year run when JTs cap hit is gone for the remainder of eternity?

I can only see them getting rid of marner if they get the inside scoop McDavid is the next pajama boy which is actually highly likely since he's still a Leaf Homer to this day and probably even has an account here. Then you use JTs cap space for that puck mover goalie and some bottom 6 depth.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yeah I'm not sure how confident I am in him, all I can do is hope for the best. Maybe I'm just used to things going badly for us fans but I do feel like there's a decent chance that Marner will get what we wants this summer - one more big, fat, juicy gift of a contract that will as I said earlier, doom us fans to another decade of irrelevance.

I wouldn't give him that, not a chance. One year, at a massive discount is as far as I'd go. Call it payback to the fans.
There's a chance he stays and re-signs, but I have to imagine it's for a discount. He's about to get torn to shreds this summer and that won't be good for his headspace.

A big contract is just Mitch digging his own grave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Oh I have no doubt that Marner doesn't want to go anywhere. If I'm Tre, I make it clear to him that if he wants to stay, the only way it happens is if he takes a 1 year show me contract for like 5 million or something. Say he's doing it for the fans who deserve better blah blah blah. If he's willing to do that, he'll win a ton of fans back with that gesture and he can stay and get another crack at the playoffs but if he thinks he deserves today to continue being paid like a super crazy elite player, make it clear that it's not happening here until he proves he's worth it in the playoff, end of story. And if he doesn't like (and he won't), then you apply some pressure which will be easy to do in this town. No more mister nice guy, you tell him that the gloves are coming off and since he's going to play somewhere else next season anyway, may as well leave now and not suffer through what will be a very unpleasant season for him here.

Its all about the no nmc of extended.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's simple. We know Paul Marner is all about image for his kid. I am sure he is reading all over social media how people want to run his boy out of town today. Fans and media alike are all over him.

If I were Tre I would be like sorry we don't have plans to resign you so give me a list of 15 teams you want to play for and We'll deal you there and you can get your 8th year from them vs only 7 in FA.

Paul Marner is all about his kid's image and reputation. This way he can blame the Leafs and really who gives a shit
All good, wait another week before Quartexx Management gets the Marner PR crew on the job. I'm sure Dekes his studying his material as we speak.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
All good, wait another week before Quartexx Management gets the Marner PR crew on the job. I'm sure Dekes his studying his material as we speak.
who is on the PR crew for Marner? Dreger?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I said I wouldn't defend marner because he doesn't deserve the energy right now, but keep in mind Tavares is off the books soon.

We have enough cap space to afford to run this exact core and still lead the league in goals and hits next season. Are we really trading Marner for a 1 year run when JTs cap hit is gone for the remainder of eternity?

I can only see them getting rid of marner if they get the inside scoop McDavid is the next pajama boy which is actually highly likely since he's still a Leaf Homer to this day and probably even has an account here. Then you use JTs cap space for that puck mover goalie and some bottom 6 depth.
Sure JT is coming off the books soon, but how can you say Marner is a net positive at 11m come playoff time? He simply isnt worth it. It shouldnt matter that JT is coming off the books because the simple fact is, Marner is not worth 11m come playoff time. Like hes not anywhere close to worth that.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Guess we should not be surprised.

1714916181471.png

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Sure JT is coming off the books soon, but how can you say Marner is a net positive at 11m come playoff time? He simply isnt worth it. It shouldnt matter that JT is coming off the books because the simple fact is, Marner is not worth 11m come playoff time. Like hes not anywhere close to worth that.
They both go, trade Marner and wait JT out.

You take the $22M in cap space and start fresh. We're all sick of this 4 forwards making all the money nonsense, end it now.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Pasta's OT goal was brilliant though and what a big moment play that was
All Samsonov had to literally do was swat the puck away into the corner or come out and smother it with his glove. Like we're all just going to ignore the part where the goalie just sat there and watched the puck drift into a danger space a foot way.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I can see Mitch digging in and then walking as UFA.

I'm sure his dad will be advising him as well.
They will just bury him on 3rd line and pk making his value go down. Other Gms know Marner is not a playoff guy, just a reg. season boost. He must ask nicely for the trade or he will never get $12 Million. Bring in Keenan or Torts and run them off.

Reactions: BallardEra
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad