Player Discussion Mitch Marner

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Don't like him, never have, probably never will. Don't appreciate his dipsy doodle no look passes one bit nor his constant turnovers. When it works it looks great but when it doesn't he looks like an idiot out there.

I'll cheer him on since he's a Leaf but he's one player I could do without on this team.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He's a cupcake, but then the entire organization from top to bottom is a cupcake which means we won't pressure him to waive his NMC. So, the only way to move on from him is to let him walk for nothing, there are really no good options here. It might even make the most sense to extend him and hope he figures it out at some point though if he wants to milk us for every last dollar on his next deal, I'd rather let him walk.

I've said it before, not everything is his fault but considering how he goes AWOL at the biggest moments, he is the perfect poster boy for this team who's calling card is playoff failures. Not only that, but as many have said, this team personality wise is unlikeable and he leads the way in that department as well.

I've also said repeatedly that his problem is between the ears. When your game overall is grade A for 82 games and the first 4 games of the playoffs and then you turn into a cupcake, no other explanation comes to mind. If the Leafs haven't hired the best sports shrinks in the business to work with him then that's an enormous failure on their part.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Juniors lose.
Raptors lose 2, Leafs lose 2 all in 24 hours.

076BF690-66AA-4694-A63E-77558D0A6B99.jpeg

Pain

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Ship sailed. I've said it countless times over the years and I'll say it again: MLSE have zero interest in trading this guy. The time was 2021 after the Habs series, now he has a full NMC until his contract expires. We are stuck with him.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Strategy and value.

Trading Marner now doesn't improve us, we let him walk are their valuable alternatives that off-season to throw money at?

He's a tough value to figure out. When he is on he can change games both offensively and defensively. Yet he shrinks when the sand paper comes and grips the stick to hard when adversity shines in his eyes.

It's a difficult position to be in as a franchise and the nmc doesn't help anyone. If Nylander asks for the moon I will admit I'd rather Marner and the hope he can find peace in adversity and punch thru to another level.

But if we're talking value in trade and a true change to the dynamic of the team, hes #1 on the list of making that happen.

Matthews is a non starter. Tavares is great but negative value in trade vs production. Nylander is about to be a free agent. Those are the core forwards.

Consistency would be nice, someone needs to remind him of the little plays that end up big. Team matters. Stop forcing the magic, let it flow from little to grand. We've all seen what he's capable of.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I suppose Marner is to blame for the boneheaded decision to keep playing Samsonov? I’m no fan of this guy, but we won’t trade him now. He should have been traded after the Habs series. He does score points in the regular season and Pk very well. Besides, what does Nylander give us that Marner doesn’t? Effort? Showing up every game? They’re both lazy as shit too much. The problem is Marners salary and the lack of accountability from Keefe. It’s Tavares that should go but we know that’s not going to happen.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
something something point a game player

if it works for Johnny why not Mitch ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad