Mitch Marner Discussion - 2016/17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I honestly don't think the 9 game tryout thing is an issue anymore, just something the media uses to spark up interest. Babcock loves him, and he's looking like a key player with us. There's zero question about his ability to continue developing at the NHL level, so there'z zero reason to not keep him around.

Reactions: stickty111

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
I honestly don't think the 9 game tryout thing is an issue anymore, just something the media uses to spark up interest. Babcock loves him, and he's looking like a key player with us. There's zero question about his ability to continue developing at the NHL level, so there'z zero reason to not keep him around.

Babcock said he hasn't talked about it with Lou yet. I guess it's because there is nothing to talk about. Like you said he's a key player for us already and our management group knows it very well.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I'm hoping that when the first dingbat beat reporter asks Babcock about the 9 game tryout for Mitch, he quickly responds with "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No. Strome was never their guy, they wanted Marner.

Yep, only Team that could have messed it up was Arizona. Once they picked the wrong guy Hunter, et al were beyond happy.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Maybe I missed something but I think that was his first game that he didn't try to do something kiddish or completely neglect his assignment to cherrypick. Looked good.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
I stand to be corrected but once Strome was picked, did they not try to trade down with Columbus?

Educate yourself. That incident was in case Arizona picked Marner. Toronto did not like Strome and would have traded down and taken whoever (Zacha, Werenski etc. etc.).

In short TO thought there was no clear #4 if Marner picked at #3.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Educate yourself. That incident was in case Arizona picked Marner. Toronto did not like Strome and would have traded down and taken whoever (Zacha, Werenski etc. etc.).

In short TO thought there was no clear #4 if Marner picked at #3.

Educate your own self and ask your mom to teach you some manners. I said I wasn't sure. He clearly says the offer was "in case they didn't pick Hanifin". Which they didn't. The confusion is whether they expected Arizona to pick Marner.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
I stand to be corrected but once Strome was picked, did they not try to trade down with Columbus?

Marner was always their guy. Lots of people tried to spin the story on that clip to make it seem like the Leafs missed out on Strome AND that Columbus rejected their trade offer to make the Leafs look stupid. The truth is they made a back up plan in case Marner was off the board at 4.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Marner was always their guy. Lots of people tried to spin the story on that clip to make it seem like the Leafs missed out on Strome AND that Columbus rejected their trade offer to make the Leafs look stupid. The truth is they made a back up plan in case Marner was off the board at 4.

The "doesn't take Hanifin" was code for Arizona taking Marner I think. Strome was never really on Toronto's radar.

Yeah, I didn't want to make a production out of this and get some of the children on this forum all bent out of shape but the offer made it seem like they were ready to trade down when Arizona didn't pick Hanifin. But it's reasonable to think they expected Arizona to pick Hanifin or Marner and not Strome. Just unsure because Strome was ranked up there as well.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Yeah, I didn't want to make a production out of this and get some of the children on this forum all bent out of shape but the offer made it seem like they were ready to trade down when Arizona didn't pick Hanifin. But it's reasonable to think they expected Arizona to pick Hanifin or Marner and not Strome. Just unsure because Strome was ranked up there as well.

Teams all have different rankings than TSN or Central Scouting or ISS. I know how Toronto felt about certain players and Strome wasn't in the top 5 for them.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Small scare when Marner was hurt on the boards.

Bozak right place at right time for Marner's magic, but to be fair the first goal was all fluke.

I'm happy with 3 of the lines right now, but the 1 line still looks like it needs some skill.

Top 2 lines have skill with van Riemsdyk and Marner, Matthews and Nylander, and the 4th. line is interchangeable but need some skill to play with Kadri if we expect some offense there.

Okay, so Marner, Nylander, Matthews splitting the ROTY vote and someone else walking away with it could happen.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Small scare when Marner was hurt on the boards.

Bozak right place at right time for Marner's magic, but to be fair the first goal was all fluke.

I'm happy with 3 of the lines right now, but the 1 line still looks like it needs some skill.

Top 2 lines have skill with van Riemsdyk and Marner, Matthews and Nylander, and the 4th. line is interchangeable but need some skill to play with Kadri if we expect some offense there.

Okay, so Marner, Nylander, Matthews splitting the ROTY vote and someone else walking away with it could happen.

As long as things even themselves out. That 1st goal was a fluke but it made up for the point blank chances Bozak missed fed from Marner.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Okay, let's not forget Marner hasn't cashed in all his chances either.

Bozak is currently at 27.3%, whereas Marner is a 5.3%.

Yes and I thought there has been a few times Marner passed up the shot (which was probably the higher percentage chance) and passed off to a linemate.
Once he takes care of that, he is a shooting/scoring and passing/playmaking threat. Hard to contain as he drives the line from the RW.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Okay, let's not forget Marner hasn't cashed in all his chances either.

Bozak is currently at 27.3%, whereas Marner is a 5.3%.

Marner's bread and butter will be his playmaking and creativity and seen as a pass first shoot second type of player.

DVO lead the OHL league in goals benefiting from Mitch playmaking.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Marner's bread and butter will be his playmaking and creativity and seen as a pass first shoot second type of player.

I thought it was Dvorak's incredible size and shot that inflated Mariner's point totals?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Well, if you look at Bozak's career shooting percentage, perhaps this will be a great line.

Bozak doesn't have to feed his winger all the time and Marner gets a high percentage finisher.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Well, if you look at Bozak's career shooting percentage, perhaps this will be a great line.

Bozak doesn't have to feed his winger all the time and Marner gets a high percentage finisher.

Yesterday was the first time I thought the JVR -- Bozak -- Marner line made a real impact on the outcome of the game thanks to Marner's magic.

If Marner doesn't put that right on JVR and Bozie's stick for gift goals 2 & 3 then Leafs lose and that line isn't effective.

In the previous games despite being the vets and him the rookie it seemed they were dragging Marner down, while himself not getting on the scoresheet still effective and noticeable.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Teams all have different rankings than TSN or Central Scouting or ISS. I know how Toronto felt about certain players and Strome wasn't in the top 5 for them.
It has always been rumoured the other guys we really liked were Provorov and Rantanen. Not sure exactly where Hanifin fit in.

The way the Columbus thing is edited, it is very hard to figure out what the Leafs were doing. They could have been sold on moving down no matter what, or they could have just been testing the waters in-case Marner went, knowing Columbus was likely to go D. I've also heard Philly had interest in moving up for Marner on draft day, not sure if they targetted us or the Coyotes to do that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland