Mitch Marner Discussion - 2016/17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
After what he has done at training camp so far all there is to say is Welcome to the NHL Mitch Marner!

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016
Looks ready to me. Kid is oozing with skill. He's always had to answer to his size and yet has been an impact player at every level he's played. People saying that Marner doesn't have grit need to re-evaluate what they think grit means. Grit = "courage and resolve, strength of character". He has all of that and more, I for one am excited.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I just want to explain something to people who still moan about Marner's size.

- Size does not matter in the NHL anymore, ESPECIALLY for a guy like Marner. Why do you say? Let me explain; Gretzky is the best example. You could not hit the guy. He thought the game so well that you just would never catch him flat footed. Marner, like Gaudreau, Johnson, Kane etc. is EXTREMELY elusive. He combines a cerebral off puck movement tendency with a lot of tenacity and ability to get the puck back. There are more "goons" going after Marner and co. in the OHL/AHL (theoretically any small guy playing in the AHL) than there is in the NHL. The NHL is a pure skill game. Hence why D are more considered on their ability to skate and move the puck. Skill and mobility is what has taken over.

- Marner has gotten much quicker. On top of his arguably generational ability to see the ice and make plays and his insane evasiveness and edge work, he now has great acceleration and top end speed. This will make him WAY harder to hit and more threatening on the rush. People being scared that he will be targeted because of his size are wrong. Marner knows his own size, hence why he doesn't get hit. He's too intelligent for that. A guy like Lindros who was massive got destroyed. Where's the size argument for that? Same with Ekblad last season.

- He's too skilled to not make the NHL at this point. He was so good in pre-season that I genuinely thought he was playing at a level above his teammates on his line. Some passes he made, his line mates didn't expect him to get them the puck tape to tape. We are talking about a player with legitimate 100 point a season potential.

Seriously, just stop fretting about his size and just enjoy the magic he will bring, night in and night out. He's the kind of talent that is going to make Rielly score insane amounts of points by virtue of just playing with him.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
What is the difference between hiding and avoiding.

Nylander doesn't get hit as much either, he too was noted for being agile.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Would they still go in this draft order today?

3-Strome Coyotes
4-Marner Leafs
5-Hanifin Canes

It'd be a tougher call but I think Phoenix still takes the big center. I don't necessarily agree with it, I just think they do

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada

3-Strome Coyotes
4-Marner Leafs
5-Hanifin Canes

It was a toss up then and remains a toss up now. Three elite level players, each with different strengths. If you want pure scoring and strong two way play to boot, Marner is your man. If you want size and strength while still providing excellent scoring, Strome is the guy for you. If your team needs a steady, extremely mobile denfenseman with the potential to be elite, Hanifin is the man to choose. Personally I think that the three teams wound up with the players most suited to them.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I find when I watch Marner he is making a lot of 'half' plays. You know, like a flubbed pass or a play where he is soft(ish) on the puck; especially along the half boards in the offensive zone. Kinda like Kadri was a few years ago I suppose. Just needs to not pull out of a play, finish the play completely and then move on to the next one.

No doubt he has the skill and speed, just needs to be a little harder on the puck is all I see. And based on our roster, I don't see any reason he should not be on the opening day roster; he has clearly outgrown the CHL.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.

3-Strome Coyotes
4-Marner Leafs
5-Hanifin Canes

I'm watching the Yotes Canucks game and I have been watching strome very closely
And I'm not sure strome will make it, talk about being slow. He has no acceleration at all
Just gave the puck away and looked terrible trying to catch the guy. IMO poor skater

Last edited:

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Marner
Hanifin

Strome

Strome's lack of mobility is a huge concern to me. I rank it the same as I did in there Draft year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I never did love Strome as much.

He got drafted higher because BIG CENTERMAN.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Marner has the potential to be the second best player in that draft..

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Marner
Hanifin

Strome

Strome's lack of mobility is a huge concern to me. I rank it the same as I did in there Draft year.

Same here. I was never sold on Strome. Even with the skating issue aside, most of the clips and highlights I saw of him, showed him being the recipient of a good set up. A lot of the ones I saw of Marner, I saw him generating the offense and setting up the play.

Snagging Hanifin as well would've been golden, but that wouldn't have happened. Toronto and Carolina made the right choices. Arizona's saving grace is the fact they made some decent moves in the offseason, and landed Crouse for a cap dump.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I find when I watch Marner he is making a lot of 'half' plays.

That's because much of the time he passes it to people who go to themselves WTF where did that come from?
Give it some time, his linemates will grow accustomed to his insane pace and be ready to complete his plays.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Re Hanifin, still not sure if he ends up the best D man of his draft class.

provorov and werenski may give him a good run for his money.

Regardless the 2015 class after McDavid/Eichel is still too close together to make any definitive rankings. All I know is the Leafs shouldn't be disappointed with their selection

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Re Hanifin, still not sure if he ends up the best D man of his draft class.

provorov and werenski may give him a good run for his money.

Regardless the 2015 class after McDavid/Eichel is still too close together to make any definitive rankings. All I know is the Leafs shouldn't be disappointed with their selection

After watch Eichel this past year.....he is good but I am not sure he was the second best player in the draft....we may have him.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
That's because much of the time he passes it to people who go to themselves WTF where did that come from?
Give it some time, his linemates will grow accustomed to his insane pace and be ready to complete his plays.

Pretty much. After seeing Matthews go hard to the net in the WCH with great positioning, and his stick on the ice, I thought of Marner.

Matthews does play a similar game to Dvo, just with so much more skill.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I never did love Strome as much.

He got drafted higher because BIG CENTERMAN.

How? He put up top point totals 2 years in a row just like Marner, is huge and has progressed in his skating. His shot is amazing too, better than Nylander/Marners imo.

Marner
Hanifin

Strome

IMO it's:
His lack of mobility is a concern, but it's just like Marner's size at the draft: those things can be worked on. Strome has progressed in his skating, and Marner has progressed in size.

Matthews
Marner
Strome Nylander
Hanifin

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
How? He put up top point totals 2 years in a row just like Marner, is huge and has progressed in his skating. His shot is amazing too, better than Nylander/Marners imo.

IMO it's:
His lack of mobility is a concern, but it's just like Marner's size at the draft: those things can be worked on. Strome has progressed in his skating, and Marner has progressed in size.

Matthews
Marner
Strome Nylander
Hanifin

It's probably better than Marner's, but not as good as Willy's imo. Strome has a heavy shot, but he takes too long to release it. I agree that Strome is a great prospect, though.

In regards to Hanifin, Marner and Strome, I have it as:

- Marner/Hanifin
- Strome

All three are really close, but I think Marner and Hanifin are a bit better right now and have higher ceilings than Strome. Still, Strome was the right pick for Arizona. I doubt they're going to regret picking him.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Marner obviously has great raw tools like his skating, terrific hands, his stickhandling is insane but what's by far the most impressive about him is the way he thinks the game

Marner thinks the game at a level that's so much higher than everyone it's why I think he's a superstar in this league no question about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad