Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: September edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
NHL executives make me laugh. They'll happily overpay role players by really sizeable percentages but they'll hold firm with top players who can actually make a difference to the last penny in contract discussions. It's such an ass backwards philosophy that somehow none of them have really caught on to yet. :laugh:

Holland?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

He's one of them but I was just saying that because of the Pastrnak/Boston situation. But it is a general thought process amongst NHL executives. Even the media buys into that that thought process & puts that out there. Essentially top players should take less so their teams can turn around & give the money to players that don't really deserve it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He's one of them but I was just saying that because of the Pastrnak/Boston situation. But it is a general thought process amongst NHL executives. Even the media buys into that that thought process & puts that out there. Essentially top players should take less so their teams can turn around & give the money to players that don't really deserve it.

Good observation.

Boston, who gave a then 32 year David Backes a 5 years $30 million contract, is playing hardball with their early 20's star player.

Morons.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
UFA vs RFA. If teams actually utilized offer sheets, you wouldn't be seeing guys unsigned during training camp.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Agree 10000%.

Especially about the ridiculous notion that top players have some kind of obligation to take less than they're worth to help the team.

It feels like that's been more common lately after people watch certain NBA players/teams take less to get a stacked roster. But what they're ignoring is that these NBA stars, even with their lower $$$, are still getting more per year than some NHL players get in a large chunk of their entire contract.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
NHL executives make me laugh. They'll happily overpay role players by really sizeable percentages but they'll hold firm with top players who can actually make a difference to the last penny in contract discussions. It's such an ass backwards philosophy that somehow none of them have really caught on to yet. :laugh:

It really is dumb.

I much rather overpay for my top players by a million than overpay easily replaceable guys by a million.

AMac getting paid 5 million hurts more than G and Jake getting 8.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
In the trade forum, Rakell's much cheaper deal was brought up as a comparable and he's done very well in the NHL for a late first round pick who never cracked 65 points in Junior, let alone 100. But he's more of a winger than a center.

BoHo never cracked 75 points in Junior, but like Rakell he's already topped 50 points in an NHL season.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Various prospect tournaments are starting today. Any stream info would be appreciated.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Need help picking keepers. I need 4 of the following (one has to be a D or a G):

Matthews, Eichel, Voracek, Weber, Ghost, Holtby, Johanson, Rinne, or Arvidsson.

Matthews and Eichel are no brainers. I'm thinking I keep Holtby. Then it is really between Voracek, Weber, Ghost, Johanson, or Arvidsson. On paper, Arvidsson had the better year last year fantasy-wise (though coincidentally all three of Voracek, Arvidsson, and Johanson all had 61 points). I want to think that Voracek will rebound but I'm not sure if he'll rebound better than the other two guys who could continue to produce at that rate or higher. I'm also considering keeping Weber as well just because he puts up big points from a weak position.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Need help picking keepers. I need 4 of the following (one has to be a D or a G):

Matthews, Eichel, Voracek, Weber, Ghost, Holtby, Johanson, Rinne, or Arvidsson.

Matthews and Eichel are no brainers. I'm thinking I keep Holtby. Then it is really between Voracek, Weber, Ghost, Johanson, or Arvidsson. On paper, Arvidsson had the better year last year fantasy-wise (though coincidentally all three of Voracek, Arvidsson, and Johanson all had 61 points). I want to think that Voracek will rebound but I'm not sure if he'll rebound better than the other two guys who could continue to produce at that rate or higher. I'm also considering keeping Weber as well just because he puts up big points from a weak position.

Are you talking about Ryan Johansen or MoJo?

If the former, then I think the decision should be between Ryan Joahnsen and Ghost.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Are you talking about Ryan Johansen or MoJo?

If the former, then I think the decision should be between Ryan Joahnsen and Ghost.

RyJo. I'm thinking I'm gonna pass on Ghost. He was a big minus last year and Weber scored ten more goals than him. Even if Ghost bounces back and Weber falters, Weber will still likely have a better fantasy season than him. Only difference is Ghost is going to be around a lot longer than Weber and should continue to improve.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
So I took a peak at the Prospects Board for the first time since the day after the draft. First thread I clicked on I see the Calgary Homer is still rolling with his "Flyers prospects are overrated/ Sanheim is the most overrated prospect in hockey/Calgary has the best D in the world!!!" shtick.I got a quick reminder why I stopped going there.

Anyway I am pretty jealous that these teams actually let their prospects play in more than one game a year together. I think we have enough prospects now that Ron can re-visit his stance. :nod:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So I took a peak at the Prospects Board for the first time since the day after the draft. First thread I clicked on I see the Calgary Homer is still rolling with his "Flyers prospects are overrated/ Sanheim is the most overrated prospect in hockey/Calgary has the best D in the world!!!" shtick.I got a quick reminder why I stopped going there.

Anyway I am pretty jealous that these teams actually let their prospects play in more than one game a year together. I think we have enough prospects now that Ron can re-visit his stance. :nod:

That guy swore Sven Baertschi was going to be high end player a few years ago when he was with the Flames. :laugh:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Devils vs Sabres prospect game is about to start. Stream available on Devils website.

Looking at some of these rosters, I was surprised to see some guys playing with 2+ years of AHL experience under there belt. We won't have any playing with more than 1 year. Even some guys with a decent amount of NHL games are dressed in these rookie games.

Edit: The Devils stream is terrible. Oilers vs Flames are on YouTube right now with an actually watchable stream.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm watching the Leafs game. Liljegren danced twice already. See if that makes the main boards.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Any updates?

It's going to be so funny when the Leafs have those insane forwards in their prime......and then that on the back end. It wasn't enough that they drafted Tim-o-thee, who can at least at times be OK (by OK I meant best player in the draft ofc), specifically as a transition d-man. But they had to draft Rasanen. He's such an oaf :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad