Player Discussion Miro Heiskanen 3rd overall 2017 Draft (signed ELC)

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Nope. Klingberg had shown only one flashy season before he got his contract. So he didn't have any leverage.

Miro has ELC until 19-20. If there isn't any stepbacks and he will be as good as it seems to be he will get lot bigger contract than JK.

Considering that defenders usually are at their best later than forwards that contract extension will probably be really good for Stars.

But not a steal like Klingbergs.

Seth Jones got 6x5.4m
Ristolainen 6x5.4m
Ekblad 8x7.5m

Those give probably some guideline.

Heiskanen's ELC will slide to 2020-21 because he didn't play in the NHL this year. So there will be a 3 year NHL sample going into his next contract.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
Heiskanen's ELC will slide to 2020-21 because he didn't play in the NHL this year. So there will be a 3 year NHL sample going into his next contract.

Totally forgot that.

It really helps us with salary cap next three years :)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

What if NHL has new lockout 2020 and whole season gets cancelled how that will affect Miro's ELC conract.
PS If i'm not mistaken NHL's collective bargaining expires autumn 2020.

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
What if NHL has new lockout 2020 and whole season gets cancelled how that will affect Miro's ELC conract.
PS If i'm not mistaken NHL's collective bargaining expires autumn 2020.
That should be when Seattle is coming into the league, so the owners aren't going to want a long lockout. That being said, if they canceled the season, he'd be an RFA without arbitration rights.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
That should be when Seattle is coming into the league, so the owners aren't going to want a long lockout. That being said, if they canceled the season, he'd be an RFA without arbitration rights.

OK thanks for that information.
Lets hope there's no new lockout coming 2020.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Sure is pretty surprising the way it seems like Nill has very little meaningful conversations with Nichushkin. Last year, when there were people wondering if Nichushkin could get out of his KHL contract, Nill had no idea and made it clear he had limited interaction with Nichushkin's agent. Now, the Stars season is over, and Nill doesn't yet know what Nichushkin wants to do. This is all very odd.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Sure is pretty surprising the way it seems like Nill has very little meaningful conversations with Nichushkin. Last year, when there were people wondering if Nichushkin could get out of his KHL contract, Nill had no idea and made it clear he had limited interaction with Nichushkin's agent. Now, the Stars season is over, and Nill doesn't yet know what Nichushkin wants to do. This is all very odd.

What is surprising about it? Do you know what you are having for dinner six months from now?

I'm sure the last thing on Nukes mind during the middle of the season is what he is doing in the summer. He is playing playoff hockey in the KHL getting ready for the finals not preparing his offer for an NHL contract.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah I don't think knowing 100% what Nichushkin is doing is a big deal. He could also be waiting to for a big money offer to stay in the KHL, who knows.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
helsinki just got eliminated from the Liiga playoffs . I doubt he will want to come play for Texas this year though .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
helsinki just got eliminated from the Liiga playoffs . I doubt he will want to come play for Texas this year though .

There's also still a game for third place , for whatever reason.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Considering he missed much of the year, that's pretty damn impressive. He scored at a pretty unreal pace in the games he did play.

VicVinegar

Realtor/Bodyguard
Sep 28, 2017
I'm too excited for this kid. Am I the only one who sees his game most similar to Lidstroms?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Lidstrom has been the one I see all the time since the draft. I get the comparison in that he has the chance to be a truly complete D, but if he can put up similar offensive numbers, it'll be interesting.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
What kind of season are you expecting from him in 2018-2019?

I think it's smart to be fairly conservative, but to this point he has risen to every level of competition he's faced. My expectations to start the year would be Third pair ES and the 2nd PP unit. A great deal would depend on who his partner is. The likely two options are Honka and Johns. I like Shapiro's suggestion starting with him Honka to allow them to develop. He went with the comparison of Jones and Werenski getting a chance to grow together for the BJ's. I like Honka, but I don't think he's a lock or anything for an all-around defender.

Therefore, I think for Honka, it would benefit him most to play with Methot. I think you see what you might have in Heiskanen and Johns pair. I like that balance. We know Johns has a rocket of a shot, and he's not afraid to jump in the play. He's not going to make as risky of plays as Honka though. Where Honka benefits playing with a safety net, Heiskanen gets the chance to play with a guy with a better all around game.

I just don't know that I'd say with certainty that Johns or Honka are the long term options next to Heiskanen. Maybe it's Klingberg. Maybe it's someone else.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Has Heiskanen played in the world champs?

I havent kept track. If so has he played well.
Yes and yes.

He's on the top pairing for the Finns and is being used more defensively than offensively. Penalty kill, matchups etc. Very reliable, and never really making the high risk play. Im interested to see how he fairs against a top tier team.

Honka on the other hand shows signs of offensive ability, using his skating to his advantage but he's coughed up the puck manymore times than any other d man for the finns. He is currently playing on the bottom pairing. It just looks like he's trying to do too much out there, likely trying to prove something. Also some shot confidence from the regular season could be playing into this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad