Minor League Thread 2017-18: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
As expected Joe Mormina is the new Assistand Coach for Hartford.

Don't know much about him other then he was super respected around the AHL as a player.

cozandeffect

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
As expected Joe Mormina is the new Assistand Coach for Hartford.

Don't know much about him other then he was super respected around the AHL as a player.

Used to watch him play at Colgate. He was one of the worst players on the team his last year and got a contract basically because he was big. I haven't followed him after that but hopefully it works out.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Used to watch him play at Colgate. He was one of the worst players on the team his last year and got a contract basically because he was big. I haven't followed him after that but hopefully it works out.

For a defensive defenseman he posted decent numbers over a long AHL career, half of which he spent wearing an A or C. So he must have brought something to the table other than size.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I have no idea if he was a good AHL player or not, i just stated that he was very well respected, don't have to be good to be respected :)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Gotta wonder why.

Maybe realized he wasn't really going to get anywhere and that his Yale degree is worth more than playing minor league hockey.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Gotta wonder why.

Maybe realized he wasn't really going to get anywhere and that his Yale degree is worth more than playing minor league hockey.

Actually it was a surprise he spent 4 years on AHL deals, talk was he would go grad school or work after both year 1 and 2
If he'd ever earned an NHL deal, with bonuses and benefits and pension, there might be reason to keep at it
He's 28 and highest # AHL games season was 14

That national title will always be his hockey career highlight
Time to build life after hockey

Good for him he took a shot at it
Playing goal in E has got to be hard, rosters change almost every game

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Does anyone know the deal with Henrik Samuelsson? Should they take a flier on him and see if he can jumpstart his career again in Hartford?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Wasn't this another situation where they offered him an AHL deal but he wanted to hold out for an NHL deal? Or am I confused? Sometimes guys just don't want to sign with a particular organization and there's not really anything you can do about it.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Wasn't this another situation where they offered him an AHL deal but he wanted to hold out for an NHL deal? Or am I confused? Sometimes guys just don't want to sign with a particular organization and there's not really anything you can do about it.

yes, what Joly told local HWP reporters was, he was hoping for NHL deal, before accepting AHL w Hartford
but he didnt do that, maybe something changed with Drury or McCambridge

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
yes, what Joly told local HWP reporters was, he was hoping for NHL deal, before accepting AHL w Hartford
but he didnt do that, maybe something changed with Drury or McCambridge

Certainly possible. He also may feel that even on an AHL deal he had a better opportunity for advancement in the Colorado organization.

Either way, I wouldn't get too upset. He could absolutely become JAM v2, but he's far more likely to never amount to an NHL player.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Drury is one of my favorite players of the last decade. Great character, great personality. Yes, he knees were shot. Yes, he wasn't playing great. But it isn't his fault he was offered such a huge deal. He was still a better captain than Ryan Callahan

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
another vet for HWP

Whitney began last season under contract to Arizona, playing for Tucson of the AHL, before a midseason trade saw him traded to Colorado, where he finished up the season with San Antonio.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Kosmachuk added today on AHL deal

6 vets at F is a lot - Whitney, Carey, Schnieder, Kosmachuk, Selleck, DeSalvo

Assume Nieves, Gropp, Kovacs, Stromwall, Tambo, Fogarty, Catenacci lead the young Fs
That maybe leaves guys like Leedahl, Lettieri, Fontaine, Chapie to Greenville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad