Minor League Thread 2017-18: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah doesn't look like he brings much to the table. That said, there's still a lot of goonery in the AHL.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
It's been proven that detering doesn't work, so if he plays that means a better (or atleast a more talented) player is sitting, i don't like it.

I know Hartford needs leadership, but there has to be a better way to add good leadership?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's been proven that detering doesn't work, so if he plays that means a better (or atleast a more talented) player is sitting, i don't like it.

I know Hartford needs leadership, but there has to be a better way to add good leadership?

Speculationnnnnnnnnnnnnn

How do you know where McCambridge will use Selleck in the lineup? You don't.

Pure speculation.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Speculationnnnnnnnnnnnnn

How do you know where McCambridge will use Selleck in the lineup? You don't.

Pure speculation.

I said _IF_ he plays... And yes, it's all speculation, but if he's a top 12 F in Hartford when it comes to skill then they'll be an atrocious team again.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I said _IF_ he plays... And yes, it's all speculation, but if he's a top 12 F in Hartford when it comes to skill then they'll be an atrocious team again.

Yes, he'll drag down the other 11 F and other skaters on the ice to make Hartford atrocious.

One forward does not have that profound of an impact on the whole team.

:facepalm:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
You're misintepreting me, if he's a top 12 F that means something went wrong because he's not good enough to be a top 12 F on a good AHL team.
And it's possible he adds something that can't be known from a stat page, but i'll eat crow if that happens.

That's my opinion atleast.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I disagree. I just think it's a bit of an overreaction as to how much of a detriment he may be.

Also lol that HF page doesn't cover the last few years, so it's kinda useless right now.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I ...that HF page doesn't cover the last few years, so it's kinda useless right now.

Not useless, a snapshot of his prospects back when, for young guys, there is almost always a silver lining possible
The guy's 29 even if HF was still active his page would be stale

Any way seems a really limited upside add, not sure what Drury liked here

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He just wanted a goon signed i guess, hopefully he doesn't play much... Or if he does i really hope he's a fantastic leader.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A lot of first and second year pros and having a guy who pushes back is pretty much why Selleck was signed. The AHL is a nastier league than the NHL.

He's also had two recent 20 + point seasons--that's not bad for an AHL 4th line player. He's not an outright goon. That said--he's a willing but not a particularly good fighter. I looked at his two NHL fights and he got KO'd (maybe concussed--his legs were wobbly) by Kevin Westgarth and threw his shoulder out fighting Jordie Benn. Two fights--two injuries.

Right now the forwards look like Schneider, Carey, Gropp, maybe Nieves, maybe Andersson (I think I'd rather have him in Frolunda than Hartford), Tambellini, Fogarty, DeSalvo, Lettieri, Selleck, Fontaine, Stromwall (?), Kovacs, Leedahl. That's 14 and most of them are first or second year pros. IF Nieves makes the Rangers and Andersson goes back to Frolunda we're at 12. If anyone goes to Greenville I think it's Chapie and I expect Gettinger to go back to the OHL.

Selleck is certainly not a very exciting signing though.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Eco, you're missing Catenacci.

Selleck ain't Francis Lessard (Peace be upon him lol)... might end up in the ECHL.

Still semi-concerned about the lack of a vet goalie... a 21 year old Finn, a guy fresh out of college with a handful of meaningless AHL games, and a guy who was the 3rd goalie during the ECHL Rabbits playoff run... ufff.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Selleck ain't Francis Lessard (Peace be upon him lol)... might end up in the ECHL.
By
Still semi-concerned about the lack of a vet goalie... a 21 year old Finn, a guy fresh out of college with a handful of meaningless AHL games, and a guy who was the 3rd goalie during the ECHL Rabbits playoff run... ufff.

21 year old Bulgarian goalie

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

You're right I missed Catenacci. Selleck's pushing 30 and has played a long time in the AHL. He's yet to play in the ECHL which makes me think the Rangers figure him for Hartford.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
In the minors, you desperately need a tough guy because there are a ton of talentless hacks who should be bar bouncers, but realize they can make 6-digit incomes playing hockey by intimidating people. These are guy who make Tanner Glass look like Wayne Gretzky. Without your own goon, these guys have a field day.

Last edited:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Atleast at the NHL level it's been proven that goons do nothing to deter the other team from throwing bad hits or going after your stars.
Maybe it's different in the AHL but i doubt it. I don't know the mental aspect though, maybe it makes your young players "feel" safer even if they're not actually safer.
That should obviously account for something i guess, i just don't like goons at all and thing they should be gone from the game.

With that said, Selleck does seem like he can atleast somewhat hold his own on the AHL level so he's probably not a pure goon, that's something atleast.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
In the minors, you desperately need a tough guy because there are a ton of talentless hacks who should be bar bouncers, but realize they can make 6-digit incomes playing hockey by intimidating people. These are guy who make Tanner Glass look like Wayne Gretzky. Without your own goon, these guys have a field day.

I agree. The AHL is a tougher and nastier league than the NHL. Pretty much every team has a loose cannon or two and at least one goon and if teams know you won't respond in some kind of way they're going to have a field day picking on your kids and smaller, weaker players. An analogy for me is think about the worst neighborhood--the place you'd least want to live say in a major metropolitan city. That's the AHL.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Definitely need a player like Selleck. He's obviously worked hard to stay in the AHL and young players need to see that. Especially since he probably won't play every day, given the limits on experienced players in the lineup.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
reading an older Howlings/Gerry cantlon post

seems to indicate Beck was QO'd
but probably mistyped, rest of sentence refers to Jensen

there have been no other indications Beck was QO'd

http://www.howlings.net/2017/07/14/...ge-and-rangers-fleshing-out-roster-and-staff/

"... while Taylor Beck is heading to Russia-KHL. The team’s biggest loss is Nicklas Jensen who has officially signed with Jokerit Helsinki (Finland-FEL).

“(Beck’s loss) is tough. We had given him a qualifying offer, but he and his agent felt playing over there was s better option. Jenner played very well for us. He was an obvious offensive force and it’s big hole in our lineup to be filled. ... "

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Selleck might be affected by the numbers of veterans an AHL team can dress

if i did this correctly,
until another veteran is signed or waived to Hartford,
there are no conflicts

Only 3 of the guys have played >320 pro games, while rules allow dressing up to 5
Desalvo is still a "developement player", and
Carey (just barely) and Catenacci fit tweener spot (more than 260, less than 320 pro GP)

NOT that my preference is for HWP to dress 5 non-prospect F's every game
(sorry Danny C, you gotta prove you're a prospect)

" The American Hockey League and the Professional Hockey Players̢۪ Association have the following development rule in place:

Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as “development players.â€Â
Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games.
All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season."

Pro games of HWP vets
Selleck 438
Schneider 424
Kampfer 405
Paul Carey 319
Catenacci 276
DeSalvo 150

Last edited:

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
if i did this correctly,
until another veteran is signed or waived to Hartford,
there are no conflicts

Only 3 of the guys have played >320 pro games, while rules allow dressing up to 5
Desalvo is still a "developement player", and
Carey (just barely) and Catenacci fit tweener spot (more than 26, less than 320 pro GP)

NOT that my preference is for HWP to dress 5 non-prospect F's every game
(sorry Danny C, you gotta prove you're a prospect)

" The American Hockey League and the Professional Hockey Players’ Association have the following development rule in place:

Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as “development players.â€Â
Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games.
All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season."

Pro games of HWP vets
Selleck 438
Schneider 424
Kampfer 405
Paul Carey 319
Catenacci 276
DeSalvo 150

Holy research cwede! Awesome, many thanks!

If i am not mistaken, the swiss NLA league allows for 5 imports too... they bring in 5 really good players that lift the quality of play and of the team, not affecting the swiss players' development... on the contrary, more good swiss coming to NA... and a swiss was just picked as the No. 1.

If the Pack could follow this model... high quality vets instead of signing the Tom Sellecks of the AHL, don't you think a Chytil or Anderson and other young guys would benefit more? FFS, if the NYR can throw $300K AHL salary at a bum like Chris Summers, why not with quality 4-Star AHL vets?

Say 3 on forward, 2 on D and I believe goalies are excempt from the rule... realistically, you only have a handful of real prospects on an AHL team, the rest are long shots at most... why not bring in 5 really good vets to surround the handful of real prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad