Proposal: Minnesota Wild Hockey Trades

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
To Wild
Justin Faulk
To Carolina
Nino Niederreiter

Carolina gets a big bodied Power forward to add to their young forward core.
Wild gets slightly bigger on the defensive end and a solid top 4 RHD.

To Wild
Puljujarvi+B Prospect/Pick
To Edmonton
Jared Spurgeon

Edmonton gets the the puck moving RHD they want.
Wild add a RH shot to their forward group who has the potential to be a big top 6 player.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Which specific pick or prospect in the Spurgeon deal? Cause I’m very inclined to say no. Massive downgrade from Spurgeon to Faulk. And Nino is still a 20-25 goal, 50-60 point player. Pulju may be better in the future... Not a sure thing, and tbd how much better. This is an immediate significant decrease on the current roster with maybe a marginal increase long term?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Which specific pick or prospect in the Spurgeon deal? Cause I’m very inclined to say no. Massive downgrade from Spurgeon to Faulk. And Nino is still a 20-25 goal, 50-60 point player. Pulju may be better in the future... Not a sure thing, and tbd how much better. This is an immediate significant decrease on the current roster with maybe a marginal increase long term?
I agree that Puljujarvi+ might not be the right return for Spurgeon here. As you say, the overall goal would be to upgrade on Nino for the price of downgrading from Spurgeon to Faulk, and it isn't clear that Puljujarvi is really that. Or even that he will be that.

Conceptually though I'm curious as to what Spurgeon could return if you auctioned him off to the highest bidder. Under this Nino->Faulk, Spurgeon->X scenario we could be very flexible about what we're taking back as X.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wild also get ~$4.7m in cap space.

That's a lot of space, but we'd likely just overpay some UFA who doesn't deserve as much as he'll get and won't push us over the hump. Unless you have another plan for that money.

I agree that Puljujarvi+ might not be the right return for Spurgeon here. As you say, the overall goal would be to upgrade on Nino for the price of downgrading from Spurgeon to Faulk, and it isn't clear that Puljujarvi is really that. Or even that he will be that.

Conceptually though I'm curious as to what Spurgeon could return if you auctioned him off to the highest bidder. Under this Nino->Faulk, Spurgeon->X scenario we could be very flexible about what we're taking back as X.

I'm not against the concept, just not sure I like this particular deal(s).

I'm also not sure that Spurgeon can get us an upgrade on Nino, to be honest.

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
What if instead of Puljujarvi+B prospect/Pick, we'd go for Puljujarvi+Bear/2nd round pick. As much as I'd want it to happen I feel like William Nylander for Spurgeon has been beaten to death IMO. That'd be the ideal trade depending on the cap hit Nylander rightfully deserves. In the perfect world we'd get a younger top 6 center, but I'm not sure how likely it would be. It'd be nice to have that cap space for the time being with the current trades proposed above to ensure our guys get signed with a little room to dabble in free agency to build a good 4th line and add insurance to the bottom pair on defense.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm not against the concept, just not sure I like this particular deal(s).

I'm also not sure that Spurgeon can get us an upgrade on Nino, to be honest.
You could be right. I can imagine seeing a lot of 3-piece packages that don't really justify it for the Wild.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Blech... we can do much better than that for Spurgeon (but then again, I think Puljujarvi's a bust).

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Blech... we can do much better than that for Spurgeon (but then again, I think Puljujarvi's a bust).

I don't know if he'll completely bust, but he's (so far) been a disappointment for sure, so it's unknown what he will end up being.

I mean, just look at some of the guys drafted after him. Tkachuk, Keller, Nylander, Jost, even our Kunin have all been arguably as good or better than Puljujarvi. And I know I'm forgetting more.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If you are dealing Spurgeon then Carolina wants him to play with Hanifin. Stylistically a much better fit for the Canes 2nd pair. I could see Faulk doing well next to either Suter or Brodin.

Faulk (50% retained) + ???
For
Spurgeon

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If you are dealing Spurgeon then Carolina wants him to play with Hanifin. Stylistically a much better fit for the Canes 2nd pair. I could see Faulk doing well next to either Suter or Brodin.

For
Spurgeon

Here's the thing, if we're trading Spurgeon (or Dumba, for that matter), it's to increase the quality of our offense by adding a dynamic scoring threat, or at the very least, someone who will improve our offense more than our defense declines., if that makes sense. Ergo, it doesn't make sense for us to trade Spurgeon for a package of Faulk (or insert any other lesser defenseman) + because then we won't be getting back the quality of forward we're looking for unless a team massively overpays (ie. Spurgeon for Faulk + Lindholm)

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

For
Spurgeon

Gauthier? Bean?

I also wonder if Skinner could be that plus, rework the deal a bit, I dunno, just spitballin'.

Reactions: SvechniCanesCup2019

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Gauthier? Bean?

I also wonder if Skinner could be that plus, rework the deal a bit, I dunno, just spitballin'.

No need for Bean and Gauthier is "meh" as far as I'm concerned. Skinner + Faulk for Spurgeon adds about 6M(?) in cap to the Wild, which means regardless of whatever we send back, Ennis or Foligno HAVE to be included, and I don't want to pay more for Carolina to take one of them. Basically it just becomes a big mess the more you complicate it.

Reactions: SvechniCanesCup2019

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I
No need for Bean and Gauthier is "meh" as far as I'm concerned. Skinner + Faulk for Spurgeon adds about 6M(?) in cap to the Wild, which means regardless of whatever we send back, Ennis or Foligno HAVE to be included, and I don't want to pay more for Carolina to take one of them. Basically it just becomes a big mess the more you complicate it.

I was going off his proposal where Faulk was @50%.

That would add about 2 million to the cap if I'm looking at it right.

EDIT: Also, Carolina has stated they wanna get tougher to play against, so I don't think Foligno would cost Minnesota to add to include him. Just my opinion.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I

I was going off his proposal where Faulk was @50%.

That would add about 2 million to the cap if I'm looking at it right.

That helps with the cap but also requires us to send a better piece back. Skinner is also a left-handed left wing which means we'd pretty much need to send Zucker or Nino back (or elsewhere) to even have room for all of the ones we have, and I'm not comfortable adding either to Spurgeon in this deal, because Skinner isn't enough of an upgrade to justify downgrading from Spurgeon to Faulk.

Like I said, the more you try to add to it, the more complicated the situation gets.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Edmonton needs to add more than a 2nd/B prospect.

And we should be looking at forwards that the other team doesn't need to add more than a 2nd/B prospect to as the minimum if we're trading one of our RD's.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
And we should be looking at forwards that the other team doesn't need to add more than a 2nd/B prospect to as the minimum if we're trading one of our RD's.
Precisely. Idk who or what I would target from Edmonton in a specific deal for Spurgeon. The pieces I like are #10, Puljujarvi, and... that’s about it.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Pulju will become a 3rd liner at best.
Some games in which he shines and then long streaks with nothing.
He wasn‘t clever enough to learn english, he isn‘t clever enough to work really hard to make up for it on the ice and he ended up in the wrong organization.
He was picked 4th because he was bigger and faster than others his age, but he hasn‘t developed since.
Unfortunately he isn‘t that smart either.
Just imagine Aho with such a body...

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Pulju will become a 3rd liner at best.
Some games in which he shines and then long streaks with nothing.
He wasn‘t clever enough to learn english, he isn‘t clever enough to work really hard to make up for it on the ice and he ended up in the wrong organization.
He was picked 4th because he was bigger and faster than others his age, but he hasn‘t developed since.
Unfortunately he isn‘t that smart either.
Just imagine Aho with such a body...
To be fair, Minnesota would be the perfect spot for a Finn who doesn’t speak English. Stick him next to Koivu.
I think you expect too much of a Pulj, he’s 20 years old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad