Proposal: Minnesota Wild Hockey Trades

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
]

List out your top 20. I’m not saying it to argue with you I just am quite intrigued as to what that list would look like.

The 13 easy ones (no particular order):

Karlsson
Doughty
Hedman
Suter
Josi
Subban
Pietrangelo
Burns
Jones
Vlasic
Klingberg
Carlson
McDonagh (on his way down, but still gets the benefit of the doubt, IMO)

Then you have the arguables, around 17 off the top of my head, to which Spurgeon belongs (in no particular order):

Rielly
OEL
Lindholm
Fowler
Parayko
Ellis
Provorov
Giordano
Hamilton
Brodie
Weber
Ekblad
Slavin
Faulk
Trouba
Ristolainen
Krug

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
The 13 easy ones (no particular order):

Karlsson
Doughty
Hedman
Suter
Josi
Subban
Pietrangelo
Burns
Jones
Vlasic
Klingberg
Carlson
McDonagh (on his way down, but still gets the benefit of the doubt, IMO)

Then you have the arguables, around 17 off the top of my head, to which Spurgeon belongs (in no particular order):

Rielly
OEL
Lindholm
Fowler
Parayko
Ellis
Provorov
Giordano
Hamilton
Brodie
Weber
Ekblad
Slavin
Faulk
Trouba
Ristolainen
Krug

Yeah I’d agree with you. I think it gets a bit foggy in the arguable. You could make a pitch for spurgeon in top 20, but I’d push for a little later.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I get all that, but I'm just saying that even if you call him a top 40 defenseman, you're still saying that he's an elite #2, which is still quite the compliment. Top 20 puts him as a #1D on 10 teams in the league, and I just don't think that's the case.

oh for sure. a lot of those lists have him above Suter and I'm not one of the people who thinks he's better than Suter. I guess i was poisoned by the Reilly is better than Dumba look at these stats argument in a different thread. there is something to perception vs reality though...I still think Suter was better than Weber despite the goals and physical presence.

Maybe safer to say Spurgeon is an elite #2 D who will elevate your #1 a handful of spots in the #1 defenseman rankings?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I get all that, but I'm just saying that even if you call him a top 40 defenseman, you're still saying that he's an elite #2, which is still quite the compliment. Top 20 puts him as a #1D on 10 teams in the league, and I just don't think that's the case.
Yup. No shame in being a great #2D. One other thing about Spurge is that he has a habit of clutching in big moments. Terrific player. I agree that I'd prefer the #10 to Pulju, and a more besides.

Overall, I'd just like to keep him. He was still recovering from a torn hammy in the playoffs and didn't do much, but he is usually one of the few Wild players you can count on in big moments. I love his intangibles, and would rather keep him, even if we have to continue watching his commercials here in MN.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
To be fair, Minnesota would be the perfect spot for a Finn who doesn’t speak English. Stick him next to Koivu.
I think you expect too much of a Pulj, he’s 20 years old.
Just because he‘s a Finn, doesn‘t make Koivu like him.
Koivu likes smart and humble persons who are eager to learn.
Somehow I get the picture of a dog hater who has to deal with a happy puppy. We would see angry Mikko all the time.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
C'mon man, it's way too early to write off Pulju. I'm certainly not in a hurry to get him, nor get rid of Spurgeon, but saying he's a bust is OTT.
But we should write him off as a 4th OA pick and take him for what he is.
A young player, who isn‘t that smart on or off the ice. Adjust his price tag accordingly. In a redraft he would not be a 1st round pick.
It is hardly possibly to not learn English in a country like Finnland.
The movies and shows are not subtitled, you have access to the internet (English being the main language) in every corner of the country and its educational system is the best in the world.
Pulju is like coming from a farm from the 60‘s.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Just because he‘s a Finn, doesn‘t make Koivu like him.
Koivu likes smart and humble persons who are eager to learn.
Somehow I get the picture of a dog hater who has to deal with a happy puppy. We would see angry Mikko all the time.
So, do you like have lunch with Koivu every Tuesday or something? How do you know what he likes?

And my main point was Koivu speaks Finnish. So the translation wouldn't be a big issue.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I'd agree with this. But also think, remember Draisaitl's first year in the NHL? He had 2g 7a in 37gp at 19 years old. Puljujarvi just put up 12g 8a in 65gp at 19 years old. I'd bet on Puljujarvi being a top 6 player and is one of the reasons why I'd be okay with sending a 1st pairing RHD for him and presumably a mid to late 1st (2019). Puljujarvi can only benefit from being around the Finns in Minnesota, especially if language barrier is a huge drawback as he works on his English.

Could you imagine how good it would be for the kid if Koivu let him live with him? He would feel comfortably at home, and he would learn from a class act professional what it takes everyday to make it in the NHL.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
A young player, who isn‘t that smart on or off the ice. Adjust his price tag accordingly. In a redraft he would not be a 1st round pick.
The movies and shows are not subtitled, you have access to the internet (English being the main language) in every corner of the country and its educational system is the best in the world.

I agree. Though I like Jesse, but he seems to be really dumb. Goodhearted kid maybe but still dumb. And somewhat lazy. I'd never trade Spurgeon for him if there's not also 1st round pick coming back. And even then I don't think it's a very good deal.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017

man oh man people have short memories!! i remember when Nino had 1 goal in 55 games his first close to full season, and he turned out OK didn't he? such superficial thinking calling Puljujarvi a bust at 20! he was a consensus top 5 pick his draft year. c'mon guys! o_O

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
man oh man people have short memories!! i remember when Nino had 1 goal in 55 games his first close to full season, and he turned out OK didn't he? such superficial thinking calling Puljujarvi a bust at 20! he was a consensus top 5 pick his draft year. c'mon guys! o_O
Nino isn’t exactly a good comparable.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
^correct, they are very comparable! i'd be happy as snot if we got Nino type numbers down the road out of Jesse.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't know why not. Top 5 picks, underwhelming 1st NHL seasons at young ages. I know Nino was mainly on the 4th line, but that's why Puljujarvi scored 12 goals, and not just 1.
The islanders mishandled everything from playing time to not giving him a chance in the NHL after the lockout ended. Not comparable at all. The oilers are not mishandling Puljujarvi.

Edit: should also note that I’m not saying Puljujarvi is a bust. I’m just saying the two situations were way different.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad