Proposal: Minnesota Wild Hockey Trades

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
every time i see someone bag on a 20 year old now i just think of the Wild fans trying to get rid of Dumba...
obvs its probably not close to half of these early disappointments that turn out actually looking like they'll live up to their potential a few years later but still it's handy to keep in mind.

intriguing. The cap space would be nice to have as the price for the risk Puljujarvi doesn't work out.

Reactions: IceBoxHockey

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
What are thoughts on Edmonton’s 2019 1st + Puljujarvi for Spurgeon?QUOTE]

That it is an absurd proposal! I know people are already claiming that after 90 nhl games (on the third line with Looch and Strome) that Puljujarvi is a bust; which I think is premature. I think it would be piss poor asset management to once again sell low on one of our players. I would rather roll the dice on that kid than give him away for nothing.
Would you give away Eriksson ek or Kunin for nothing? Because I’m looking at their stats and It doesn’t look like they are any better than Puljujarvi.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That it is an absurd proposal! I know people are already claiming that after 90 nhl games (on the third line with Looch and Strome) that Puljujarvi is a bust; which I think is premature. I think it would be piss poor asset management to once again sell low on one of our players. I would rather roll the dice on that kid than give him away for nothing.
Would you give away Eriksson ek or Kunin for nothing? Because I’m looking at their stats and It doesn’t look like they are any better than Puljujarvi.

Consider the following:

Spurgeon isn't "nothing"

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
No I will give you that, he is a fine player. Parting with a first for a player like him, sure. But a guy who was drafted 4th overall, is only 20 years old, and not for a minute got cherry playing time. I just know if we send him packing without giving him a shot to be the player we are hoping he will be, it will bight is in the arse. And we cannot afford to keep losing these trades, just for the betterment of every other team.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If you are dealing Spurgeon then Carolina wants him to play with Hanifin. Stylistically a much better fit for the Canes 2nd pair. I could see Faulk doing well next to either Suter or Brodin.

Faulk (50% retained) + ???
For
Spurgeon
Precisely. Idk who or what I would target from Edmonton in a specific deal for Spurgeon. The pieces I like are #10, Puljujarvi, and... that’s about it.

Only way I would give spurge to Edmonton is if the package included pulju + 10. Though I think we’d have to send something back they’re way.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
No, but if the Wild needed RD I'd certainly consider adding a mid-late 1st to one to acquire a defenseman as good as Spurgeon.
And I will admit I don’t catch many wild games, regrettably. So I am not as familiar with him as a player, it’s just, he is 28, he is a bit diminutive, what did he miss 20 games for this past season? How is he defensively? Because 38 points is not that stellar of a total.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pulju will become a 3rd liner at best.
Some games in which he shines and then long streaks with nothing.
He wasn‘t clever enough to learn english, he isn‘t clever enough to work really hard to make up for it on the ice and he ended up in the wrong organization.
He was picked 4th because he was bigger and faster than others his age, but he hasn‘t developed since.
Unfortunately he isn‘t that smart either.
Just imagine Aho with such a body...
C'mon man, it's way too early to write off Pulju. I'm certainly not in a hurry to get him, nor get rid of Spurgeon, but saying he's a bust is OTT.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And I will admit I don’t catch many wild games, regrettably. So I am not as familiar with him as a player, it’s just, he is 28, he is a bit diminutive, what did he miss 20 games for this past season? How is he defensively? Because 38 points is not that stellar of a total.

He is an excellent two way defenseman- great defensively. He was also pacing for 50ish points this season, but went down with an injury for the last quarter of the season. He came back right in time for playoffs to start though. He also has great underlying stats. The only knock against him that I can think of would be his size, but that has never once held him back.

Spurge is a top 20 defenseman.

This is the short version.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'd point out that 38 points in 61 games is a 50 point pace, but Spurgeon does have a tendency to miss 15-ish games per year so that does have to factor in.

He's a great all around defenseman. Incredibly smart, excellent defensively and sneaky offensively. He's not really the sort that you can run an entire powerplay through, but he does quite well there just the same. He's good at recognizing when to pinch in and creates a good number of scoring chances that way without sacrificing anything defensively; it might be his size, but defenders seem to consistently lose track of him. His size does prevent him from physically punishing guys, but beyond that it hasn't limited him.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd point out that 38 points in 61 games is a 50 point pace, but Spurgeon does have a tendency to miss 15-ish games per year so that does have to factor in.

He's a great all around defenseman. Incredibly smart, excellent defensively and sneaky offensively. He's not really the sort that you can run an entire powerplay through, but he does quite well there just the same. He's good at recognizing when to pinch in and creates a good number of scoring chances that way without sacrificing anything defensively; it might be his size, but defenders seem to consistently lose track of him. His size does prevent him from physically punishing guys, but beyond that it hasn't limited him.

While it is worth noting that he does usually miss some time each season, it should also be said that in the 2015-2017 seaons he only missed 11 games total. So it's not like he's guaranteed to miss 10-15 games per season.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
While it is worth noting that he does usually miss some time each season, it should also be said that in the 2015-2017 seaons he only missed 11 games total. So it's not like he's guaranteed to miss 10-15 games per season.
Yeah, I was thinking it was more consistent until I looked it up a minute ago. It's more like 5 games one season, 20 games another.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Spurge is a top 20 defenseman.

I'm a big Spurgeon guy, but I think that's probably a bit too high. It sounds pretty close until you put a list together and realize that a guy like Seth Jones is in the 12-15 range. Spurgeon only being only 5-8 spots behind that? I don't think so.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018

A ringing endorsement, and this is not the first time I have seen the suggestion that Edmonton trade for him, and I am not averse to the idea, just the particular package that I find halting. Puljujarvi may turn into an incredible player, which is what you are betting on and what we would be risking; for the right return, I would absolutely move him, but if he leaves, that is the biggest fish in our prospect pool, so without any futures coming back our way, it would be tough to part with him.
But we have to take into account your cap situation, some of your core will have to be moved to make space for a guy like Dumba, so it is in your interest to shed some salary.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
A ringing endorsement, and this is not the first time I have seen the suggestion that Edmonton trade for him, and I am not averse to the idea, just the particular package that I find halting. Puljujarvi may turn into an incredible player, which is what you are betting on and what we would be risking; for the right return, I would absolutely move him, but if he leaves, that is the biggest fish in our prospect pool, so without any futures coming back our way, it would be tough to part with him.
But we have to take into account your cap situation, some of your core will have to be moved to make space for a guy like Dumba, so it is in your interest to shed some salary.
After numerous discussions I don't really think Edmonton is the best trade partner for Spurgeon either. And I don't particularly blame Edmonton fans for not wanting to give up Puljujarvi; he may not have set the world on fire, but he's still on an ELC and may still have huge upside and the Oilers aren't exactly flush with wingers.

Our cap situation is fine, though.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'm a big Spurgeon guy, but I think that's probably a bit too high. It sounds pretty close until you put a list together and realize that a guy like Seth Jones is in the 12-15 range. Spurgeon only being only 5-8 spots behind that? I don't think so.

errr I'm NOT a big spurgeon guy (think he's great, but not the be-all end-all) but it seems like most of the advanced stats compilation lists i've stumbled upon have him up there the last three or four years. Every coach we've had too fawns all over him to a really over the top degree and sound sort of surprised when they first do it. I don't know--i guess it comes down to preference. the fact we don't (didn't) have anyone that was capable or willing to clear guys away from the front really highlights his shortcoming (pun sort of intended) but if he was paired with a big guy who could do that you wouldn't even notice that fault.

I'm not claiming he's spectacular--he's just extremely competent at everything.

edit: i point out the coach thing not to say that's some sort of validation but just another reason why I, not the biggest Spurge fan, feel he probably is really THAT good. I don't even pretend to know advanced stats so I couldn't argue those merits either.

Last edited:

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I would do Faulk (50% retained)+ for Spurgeon if Minnesota had a deal to send Dumba+ to OTT for Karlsson.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018

He was on pace for 50 points this year. Which is pretty stellar when you consider offense isn’t even his bread and butter. He’s so smart and anticipates plays so well.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
]

List out your top 20. I’m not saying it to argue with you I just am quite intrigued as to what that list would look like.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I would do Faulk (50% retained)+ for Spurgeon if Minnesota had a deal to send Dumba+ to OTT for Karlsson.
I don’t believe we would be able to afford a $10 million dollar contract for the next 7/8 years, but maybe I’m wrong.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
errr I'm NOT a big spurgeon guy (think he's great, but not the be-all end-all) but it seems like most of the advanced stats compilation lists i've stumbled upon have him up there the last three or four years. Every coach we've had too fawns all over him to a really over the top degree and sound sort of surprised when they first do it. I don't know--i guess it comes down to preference. the fact we don't (didn't) have anyone that was capable or willing to clear guys away from the front really highlights his shortcoming (pun sort of intended) but if he was paired with a big guy who could do that you wouldn't even notice that fault.

I'm not claiming he's spectacular--he's just extremely competent at everything.

edit: i point out the coach thing not to say that's some sort of validation but just another reason why I, not the biggest Spurge fan, feel he probably is really THAT good. I don't even pretend to know advanced stats so I couldn't argue those merits either.

I get all that, but I'm just saying that even if you call him a top 40 defenseman, you're still saying that he's an elite #2, which is still quite the compliment. Top 20 puts him as a #1D on 10 teams in the league, and I just don't think that's the case.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think I want the 10OA more than JP..
I'd agree with this. But also think, remember Draisaitl's first year in the NHL? He had 2g 7a in 37gp at 19 years old. Puljujarvi just put up 12g 8a in 65gp at 19 years old. I'd bet on Puljujarvi being a top 6 player and is one of the reasons why I'd be okay with sending a 1st pairing RHD for him and presumably a mid to late 1st (2019). Puljujarvi can only benefit from being around the Finns in Minnesota, especially if language barrier is a huge drawback as he works on his English.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->