Minnesota Wild General Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That's what they tell us. Don't know about that. I think moving the correct amount is what you want. I also think being able to recover is important, and quickness helps there. Dubnyk seems slow side to side, and moves like a beached whale during scrambles.

No expert here, for sure. Like most players, goaltending is a mystery. I did take a couple of courses at Stauber's when I was coaching,p youth hockey, as I seemed to be the guy who always got the short straw when it came to coaching assignments.

Stalock's puck handling is also outstanding. Wonder if he can help Doobs in that area.
The Wild have both ends of the spectrum right now. Dubnyk gives up goals because he is way too slow in his crease at times, and isn't very good at tracking pucks. Stalock gives up goals because he's way too aggressive at times, and likes to run around his crease. Not sure how likely it is that Dubnyk finds a way to get faster, but I would think a good goalie coach would be able to calm Stalock down a little bit?

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
That's what they tell us. Don't know about that. I think moving the correct amount is what you want. I also think being able to recover is important, and quickness helps there. Dubnyk seems slow side to side, and moves like a beached whale during scrambles.

No expert here, for sure. Like most skaters, goaltending is a mystery to me. I did take a couple of courses at Stauber's when I was coaching youth hockey, as I seemed to be the guy who always got the short straw when it came to coaching assignments.

Stalock's puck handling is also outstanding. Wonder if he can help Doobs in that area.

No argument here on the bolded. Duby's puck handling is not good.

I could get into the specifics of what I learned my entire goalie career but recovering is a big piece of the position, but limiting the times in a game that you're in a drastic recovery situation is ideal.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Every pass they make is so telegraphed.... either the defender gets a stick on it or it's right in his skates.

Felt like the Yeo days on offense too... cycle, cycle, cycle, cycle, turnover, tired legs, collapse too much, cross ice pass, one timer, goal against

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Every pass they make is so telegraphed.... either the defender gets a stick on it or it's right in his skates.

Felt like the Yeo days on offense too... cycle, cycle, cycle, cycle, turnover, tired legs, collapse too much, cross ice pass, one timer, goal against

I'd take the bolded part right now. I don't even see many good cycles lately.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pretty uninspiring forward bunch right now. We've been critical of the bottom six, but the top 6 have been mediocre, too, and they get the big bucks. I'll give it till mid January(a healthy Parise....dare i dream?) before I start to rant and demand changes, but so far it looks like the summer was a bad one for our GM/team.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
it just doesnt feel like the team is willing to go that extra mile to win. unless i've completely over estimated how talented this team really is. what happened to the team that scored 266GF last year? what happened to the top 5 D core i thought we had? goaltending has been the weakspot end of last year & this year imo.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
it just doesnt feel like the team is willing to go that extra mile to win. unless i've completely over estimated how talented this team really is. what happened to the team that scored 266GF last year? what happened to the top 5 D core i thought we had? goaltending has been the weakspot end of last year & this year imo.
Well I’m not sure what you’re expecting when they have four and five fourth liners playing every night. Instead of actual skilled players.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
The last couple games I've had to really pay attention to see if I missed that Zucker was out for some reason I had missed.
There aren't really any forwards that have stood out for good reasons. Ennis, maybe, briefly, but he's a Parise engine stuffed into a hummingbird so it's "Oh hey nice-- oh, Ennis. Yep now it's theirs."

Reactions: W75

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The last couple games I've had to really pay attention to see if I missed that Zucker was out for some reason I had missed.
There aren't really any forwards that have stood out for good reasons. Ennis, maybe, briefly, but he's a Parise engine stuffed into a hummingbird so it's "Oh hey nice-- oh, Ennis. Yep now it's theirs."

I'm stealing this, and you can't stop me....

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Succinct and accurate. I love it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Succinct and accurate. I love it.

I agree.

Also, Staal is quietly on a ~70p pace, and Granny/Zucker are on ~60p pace.

Brodin is +10, Dumba +1, Suter -6, and Spurgeon -2 of the top-4 d-men. +/- isn't worth a whole lot, but that's a big gap between Brodin and everyone else.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I can't not love Prosser, whatever his warts, but he's been a downright okay hockey player since coming back.
Prosser has always been OK, it's just that the Wild had 5 other guys that were quite a bit better than OK for most of his time here.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Prosser has always been OK, it's just that the Wild had 5 other guys that were quite a bit better than OK for most of his time here.

I dunno, 2 or 3 seasons ago Prosser was dreadful on the ice. He looked competent last season. This season he's been a solid bottom pair guy (so far).

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I don't see a thread here about him - and playing Stalock back-to-back irritates me - so I'll ask here.

Does anyone have any info on who's backing him up? Is he that bad? Mickalek, I guess is his name?

What's the scoop?

What was the deal with Beaupre's kid backin him up for a while, as well?

MehMild

Not someone whose name means testicles.
Jan 25, 2017
I don't see a thread here about him - and playing Stalock back-to-back irritates me - so I'll ask here.

Does anyone have any info on who's backing him up? Is he that bad? Mickalek, I guess is his name?

What's the scoop?

What was the deal with Beaupre's kid backin him up for a while, as well?
His kid was not backing him up. Doobie started and got hurt. Stalock came in and they brought up the topic that there is a 3rd emergency guy on-site just in case the backup goes out as well. I also do not see a reason why Stalock wouldn't have started all the games he has.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
His kid was not backing him up. Doobie started and got hurt. Stalock came in and they brought up the topic that there is a 3rd emergency guy on-site just in case the backup goes out as well. I also do not see a reason why Stalock wouldn't have started all the games he has.

Back-to-back games are tough on goalies. He played fin in all of them.

I agree there isn't any reason not to ride Stalock right now. The backup is a big question mark, and there are a couple of breaks in the schedule.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If Nino is out for any more time I'd like to see Kunin brought back up. His hustle is something the Wild could really use right now.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Nino is out for any more time I'd like to see Kunin brought back up. His hustle is something the Wild could really use right now.
Not me, unless he's tearing it up in Iowa scoring wise. We need another scoring threat, not a bottom six grinder. I'd rather Kunin stays away from this trainwreck and develops top 6 abilities down on the farm.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Not me, unless he's tearing it up in Iowa scoring wise. We need another scoring threat, not a bottom six grinder. I'd rather Kunin stays away from this trainwreck and develops top 6 abilities down on the farm.

There is another scoring threat in Iowa? Mitchell was the last one they brought up and he's been a nice 4th liner, but not a scoring threat on a nightly basis. Anas, maybe, but I have concerns about his size with Ennis and Spurgeon already on the team.

Staal/Kunin had some chemistry going when he got put on that line. I guess I should have been clearer. Bring up Kunin and stick him in a top-6 role, not bury him in the bottom-6. Ennis, Foligno, and Stewie aren't top-6 guys. Coyle isn't a top-6 guy right now. It's not like the Wild's scoring can go down much no matter who gets called up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad