Minnesota Wild General Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Oh my god if Parise is the one causing the problem I wouldn't bang thrash cans with that cap dump contract and top 6F/PP minutes. Just lol

Last edited:

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
Russo is a beat writer he doesn't get access to the locker room 24/7 so somebody on the team is coming to him. Could be more that player has an axe to grind with a few players and got into Russo's head. There is a reason he hasn't reported on it and only mentions it vaguely in podcasts.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Parise is playing in the top 6 and on the PP, not much to complain about.

Russo needs to name names or shut up with that stuff.
Yeah I'm getting real tired of Russo's "I'm going to start some rumor shit while also taking zero accountability because I won't go into detail" when it's complete speculation. If a player said something he should be reporting it. That's quite literally his job. If a player told him in confidence or he's reading between the lines himself he needs to keep that crap to himself instead of pulling this clickbait crap.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I like Russo, but don't like the gossipy shadow campaigns he occasionally indulges in. He labeled Haula as a fringe NHL'er early on, and said how he had to change his game from being a scorer to a 4th line checker.

This team sure could use his 24g, 22a, speed, and ability to play C right now.
He's capricious about it too, and seems to swing with the team's wins and losses even harder than the fans sometimes. I think the grading system the Athletic uses on its articles gets under his skin :laugh:

Reactions: FVM

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I did finally get a chance to listen to it and it's hard to draw any conclusions in terms of specific players. I think this is the relevant bit, from 17:20:

Russo: He's done a great job, Bruce, and... look, I still think that if this team... ah, would be a lot better if some of the egos weren't as strong as they are in that locker room. Y'know? I just, I really do and sometimes you just gotta play the game and not worry about ice time, and not worry about who's on the ice late in the third period, or in overtime. And that puts a lot of pressure on the coach, even one with a lot of accumen that Bruce Boudreau has. And we saw with Mike Yeo and still... I mean, y'know there's a lot of egos on this team, throughout the line-up, and I just think that it does put a lot of pressure on him. But when Bruce finally says "Look, this is how we're doin' the powerplay, and this is who's gettin' on the ice, and this is who's...I'm putting on lines with," that's when this team seems to play well. And... and that's just my opinion, um... y'know, and you can read between the lines.

Souhan: I don't even think we need to read between the lines. I think you just spelled it out.

Russo: Can we start this podcast over?

There's also a crack at about 28:50 about Ryan Suter already being the GM of the Wild :laugh: Feeding the piranhas with that one.

And GopherState got a nice call-out for his state tourney coverage.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Let's stop pretending Russo is just pulling this out of his ass. Is he opinionated? Obviously. Is he self-censoring because he is trying to be an objective journalist? Of course. Does he live in his own bubble where viewpoints can get bounced around and magnified? Yep.

But this ego-thing isn't just a story this season. The core of this team has been virtually unchanged for over half a decade with a lot of talk and no deep playoff runs. There have been multiple coaches where things like lines and minutes and situations appear to have some hard constraints somewhere on the team, and its still a mystery where that might be coming from. But it's apparent to anybody who has watched a couple of games.

Maybe Russo is making it up for click bait, but I think that is an incredibly weak argument because there is no upside for Russo to make shit up to make shit up. He could get torched and discredited by the Wild if he was.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
based on that, seems like he's saying there are multiple guilty parties.
Now make a list of the guys that could have that kind of influence on the room, and cross reference it with the guys that actually do deserve that icetime. Really only one name left.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Let's stop pretending Russo is just pulling this out of his ass. Is he opinionated? Obviously. Is he self-censoring because he is trying to be an objective journalist? Of course. Does he live in his own bubble where viewpoints can get bounced around and magnified? Yep.

But this ego-thing isn't just a story this season. The core of this team has been virtually unchanged for over half a decade with a lot of talk and no deep playoff runs. There have been multiple coaches where things like lines and minutes and situations appear to have some hard constraints somewhere on the team, and its still a mystery where that might be coming from. But it's apparent to anybody who has watched a couple of games.

Maybe Russo is making it up for click bait, but I think that is an incredibly weak argument because there is no upside for Russo to make **** up to make **** up. He could get torched and discredited by the Wild if he was.
I don't think he's making it up. It reminds me of reports (again from Russo) from back when we were after Johansen of discussions in the locker room about who would end up shipped out to get him on the Wild. Brodin's name is the one I remember coming up most, and his play during that time was relatively poor. Obviously there were the rumors about a divide between veterans and younger guys throughout Yeo's tenure as well. It's all nebulous, but there's plenty of smoke there.

I think the accusations of clickbaity-ness have more to do with how it's presented. "I don't wanna say anything... but let me say this." From the same guy that was retweeting rants about asking beat writers for "rumors" in the lead-up to the trade deadline because they're journalists, dammit, not rumor-mongers.

In his defense though, the podcast isn't a published article or even a tweet. It's mostly just him and Souhan spouting off, so it's probably not fair to hold him to the same standards in that context. At the same time, I'm wary of reading much into comments made off the cuff like that. You're more likely to just confirm your own biases than get any reliable information.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I don't think Russo is making up that there are egos in the locker room, but I also don't think it took a beat writer to let you know professional athletes can be a bit egotistical. My issue more ties back to the reason why I also think he won't go into detail or name names, is that he's making this a much bigger deal than it is. Or more by remaining so vague he's letting fan's imagination's make it a big deal.

I'm sure guys like Nino, Parise, Dumba, Coyle and Ennis would like and probably think they deserve higher utilization and Bruce told them no because they haven't earned it and/or they are needed for a role they are better equipped to handle. They are probably frustrated, and that's the end of it. But because of Russo now that's suddenly some sort of story? If it were a story it would be a story. It's not a story because no one needs to read "Player wishes they got more time to play" in 1200 words.

Reactions: BigT2002 and Bazeek

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I like Russo, but don't like the gossipy shadow campaigns he occasionally indulges in. He labeled Haula as a fringe NHL'er early on, and said how he had to change his game from being a scorer to a 4th line checker.

This team sure could use his 24g, 22a, speed, and ability to play C right now.

That is the thing with Russo. I know quite a few people who were digging on him pretty badly because of those comments. Many of which I tend to agree with, he's a reporter not a scout -- no matter how much he thinks he is. I don't get it.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I don't think Russo is making up that there are egos in the locker room, but I also don't think it took a beat writer to let you know professional athletes can be a bit egotistical. My issue more ties back to the reason why I also think he won't go into detail or name names, is that he's making this a much bigger deal than it is. Or more by remaining so vague he's letting fan's imagination's make it a big deal.

I'm sure guys like Nino, Parise, Dumba, Coyle and Ennis would like and probably think they deserve higher utilization and Bruce told them no because they haven't earned it and/or they are needed for a role they are better equipped to handle. They are probably frustrated, and that's the end of it. But because of Russo now that's suddenly some sort of story? If it were a story it would be a story. It's not a story because no one needs to read "Player wishes they got more time to play" in 1200 words.

You don't make it that far in your professional career without getting an ego. That goes for both Russo and all those players. They've been told basically their entire careers they are in the top 1% of hockey athletes in the world. You put them all together and start rack 'n stacking them and you're going to bruise some egos that have been inflated.

Hence why players like Cullen or even Leopold are great assets to have in a locker room because they are just happy to have been playing at that age and not into all that garbage. Players like Vanek haven't figured out yet they are a shell of their former selves. I'm beginning to wonder if some are having issues coming to grips with that as well.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Now make a list of the guys that could have that kind of influence on the room, and cross reference it with the guys that actually do deserve that icetime. Really only one name left.
I think Russo is making a reference to Cullen being upset over his role earlier in the year.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
He's obviously talking about Prosser. "I sell more rides than Valleyfair the last week of school, while Mikko couldn't sell **** one to his mom." is a quote that shouldn't be attributed to either of them in any way.

Man, how great would it be if it was Tyler "I don't know, my badge keeps letting me in" Ennis, though.

Reactions: BigT2002

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think Russo is making a reference to Cullen being upset over his role earlier in the year.
I don't think it's Cullen, or any of the guys similar to him, for two reasons-

1. Boudreau wouldn't give it a 2nd thought if any of those guys were unhappy with their roles. If you listen to the podcast, Russo does imply that Boudreau is actually catering somewhat to the ego(s).

2. I don't think Russo would hesitate to throw guys like Cullen, Ennis, Winnik under the bus if they were in the guys bitching. When he "says something, without saying something" he's talking about the veteran players.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Tyler "I get into exclusive clubs because I'm with Spurgeon" Ennis? That would be ...interesting.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I don't think it's Cullen, or any of the guys similar to him, for two reasons-

1. Boudreau wouldn't give it a 2nd thought if any of those guys were unhappy with their roles. If you listen to the podcast, Russo does imply that Boudreau is actually catering somewhat to the ego(s).

2. I don't think Russo would hesitate to throw guys like Cullen, Ennis, Winnik under the bus if they were in the guys *****ing. When he "says something, without saying something" he's talking about the veteran players.

Fair enough points. Reason I don't think Boudreau is going to cater to egos is he's been around them his entire career. Hell, he coached teams with Semin/Ovy and others on it along with Corey Perry, whom I would probably make assumptions to being very sensitive about things like ice time and PP time.

And while I could be wrong here as well, I don't really see how Cullen's name can be in there with the likes of Ennis/Winnick/Stewart/etc. in terms of Russo calling people out. While he isn't one to mince words about poor play of any player, he really has never dug deep cuts into achieved players like Cullen, who have 3 Stanley Cup rings and have actively seeked to come play in MN as opposed to drafted and RFA status'ed/traded for.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
how do you know there is no truth to what russo says?
I have immense faith in what Russo formally reports in his articles, but if you asked him outright I'm guessing even he would say to take the more opinionated stuff he says on the podcasts with a grain of salt. Especially in cases where he's essentially giving his "read" on a situation, rather than reporting a fact. I wouldn't discount his opinion, but it is an opinion.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Just watch Russo's opinion about the power play specifically. I like Ryan Suter a lot as a player but it can also be true that a guy who grows up as the son and nephew of prominent NHLers, royalty in Madison, royalty in USA hockey, who has had the success he's had, and who runs a team himself, might just have some strong ideas about things and expect to get his way. At the same time, he's not the captain, he's not the coach. Could it lead to conflict from time to time? I dare say it could.

That doesn't mean Bruce doesn't have final say, but I think having Scott Stevens there probably helped keep that in check a little. This team has bigger issues than these kinds of conflicts every team experiences when things aren't going great.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Was Suter on the power play less with Stevens around?

Less total minutes, still far and away the most deployed player with man advantage this season and last. And it's not like he's terrible, but others do produce more.

Of course Suter is reliable and efficient ... But it's something that gets harped on for sure, by media and fans alike. I don't think it's any huge leap of logic to think it might be a concern among players too. Just my take.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Less total minutes, still far and away the most deployed player with man advantage this season and last. And it's not like he's terrible, but others do produce more.

Of course Suter is reliable and efficient ... But it's something that gets harped on for sure, by media and fans alike. I don't think it's any huge leap of logic to think it might be a concern among players too. Just my take.

It seems like he's been the first 1:45 of every power play with or without Stevens to me, so I haven't noticed a difference. And as soon as I complain about how he takes all moving skates out of a power play, he seems to sweet talk a butterfly into the back of the net. But he's definitely there regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad