Minnesota Wild General Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Less total minutes, still far and away the most deployed player with man advantage this season and last. And it's not like he's terrible, but others do produce more.

Of course Suter is reliable and efficient ... But it's something that gets harped on for sure, by media and fans alike. I don't think it's any huge leap of logic to think it might be a concern among players too. Just my take.

That probably is largely due to the fact he is probably the best passer on the Blue Line and maintains possession in the offensive zone better than pretty much all the blue line as well.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Remember the discussion about the "egos" that are demanding to be on the ice late in games? Why would Parise be on the ice with a minute left, protecting a 1 goal lead?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Remember the discussion about the "egos" that are demanding to be on the ice late in games? Why would Parise be on the ice with a minute left, protecting a 1 goal lead?

I don't have a problem with Parise on the ice in that situation.

I'm not sure what Koivu and Brodin were doing when the goal was scored. Koivu was above the hashmarks in no-man's land and Brodin let Brown sit netfront without any hassle.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You're right, but he isn't great defensively either. The Wild have 3 centers and 5 wingers at the minimum that are better than Parise for that situation.

Coyle and Koivu were on the ice. Staal had just been on the ice just before that with Granny (not sure)? The only other possible choices would be JEE, Winnik or Zucker (tossup between them imo). Cullen, Ennis, Foligno, and Nino shouldn't be out there.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Coyle and Koivu were on the ice. Staal had just been on the ice just before that with Granny (not sure)? The only other possible choices would be JEE, Winnik or Zucker (tossup between them imo). Cullen, Ennis, Foligno, and Nino shouldn't be out there.
It was Koivu, Granlund, Parise on the ice when Parise gave up the goal. Zucker, Winnik, Coyle, and Nino are all no-brainer choices ahead of Parise in that situation.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It was Koivu, Granlund, Parise on the ice when Parise gave up the goal. Zucker, Winnik, Coyle, and Nino are all no-brainer choices ahead of Parise in that situation.
Parise gave up the goal? I seriously disagree.

Want to see a goal given up, look at Nino on the game winner. Parise was in position on his man in an undermanned situation, Nino was out of position following a player being defended by a defenseman between said player and the goal in an even strength situaon. Why is Nino following an already defended player leaving a trailer completely undedefended?

Yet you call him a no brainer choice?

Reactions: 57special

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Remember how that's not at all what the non-story BS rumor was? How the actual thing that Russo said very briefly in passing while making sure he's not on the record was that some players wanted more/different ice time but Bruce said no and played who he wanted to play? Parise was on the ice because Bruce wanted him on the ice, it had nothing to do with the tin foil hat theory you want to make up in your head.

First, no, it was Koivu, Coyle and Parise. And you have to be incredibly biased to blame that goal on the forward covering up high for not blocking a single shot from the point when they were playing prevent defense. In reality that was just a good play and deflection, and if you're blaming anyone I don't know how it doesn't go on Brodin/Suter or Koivu for leaving Dubnyk alone with Brown in his face. Outside of Coyle there isn't a skater on the ice less to blame than Parise.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would prefer to have a guy like Ek( can also FO) out there instead of Parise, but ZP did absolutely nothing wrong out there. I can't find fault with a hell of a lot...the tip was perfect, and actually really lucky. Brodin was in no man's land, for sure, but guess what, it sucks when the other team has more players than you.

My problem with Parise, and it's a minor one, is that his Blue line clears are sub par.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I really hate to feed a certain fire here, but someone on the Athletic went through and ranked how each team performed at the draft from 2011-2015. The Wild ranked 29th. I don't think that's totally fair, as we didn't have many draft picks and still have Kaprizov who hasn't come over yet. Here's the short description about the ranking:
As with the Coyotes, the Wild have really struggled to draft NHLers — their picks from 2013-2015 had played a grand total of 222 games when I pulled the numbers, which is … bad. In fairness, the Wild were pretty consistently good during the time in question and they did have the third-worst average pick position in the league.
Part of the reason for that was the fact they traded their 2013 first-rounder to Buffalo. They did get Jason Pominville — who scored 30 goals for them the next season — in return, so it's tough to be too critical of that.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I really hate to feed a certain fire here, but someone on the Athletic went through and ranked how each team performed at the draft from 2011-2015. The Wild ranked 29th. I don't think that's totally fair, as we didn't have many draft picks and still have Kaprizov who hasn't come over yet. Here's the short description about the ranking:

Meh. The Wild are heavily invested in the 2010 draft class (Coyle, Granny, Nino, and Zucker). They also tend to draft a lot of college players: Belpedio and Greenway spent this year in college; Seeler is in his 2nd pro season; and Soucy is in his first pro season. Reilly and Murphy were 2011 draft year guys they got for nothing, and have close to 100 combined games played for Minny.

They could have drafted better, no argument here, but the team has been pretty log-jammed and the only open spots (other than injury callups) were the 11/12/13 FWD and 6/7 D-man

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
The article
Meh. The Wild are heavily invested in the 2010 draft class (Coyle, Granny, Nino, and Zucker). They also tend to draft a lot of college players: Belpedio and Greenway spent this year in college; Seeler is in his 2nd pro season; and Soucy is in his first pro season. Reilly and Murphy were 2011 draft year guys they got for nothing, and have close to 100 combined games played for Minny.

They could have drafted better, no argument here, but the team has been pretty log-jammed and the only open spots (other than injury callups) were the 11/12/13 FWD and 6/7 D-man
Yes. Wild's ranking was more due to the way The Athletic picked the scope of their analysis than reality. Wild have tossed away way too many picks over time (although I was ok and hopeful for the Pominville trade when it happened).

But I think the Wild's actual drafting is decent under Fletcher. There are plenty of misses, but also some good hits.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Im really just curious to know if Fletcher is coming back. I could go either way in my opinion of him.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Unless they completely collapse and somehow miss the playoffs and/or get swept out of the first round, I don't see how he wouldn't be back.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fletcher will be back, unless it turns out the he and Trump had an affair.:sarcasm:

I think next year will be telling, but I anticipate them being much the same as this year, maybe a tad better.

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
He'll be back and we'll be going through the same mediocrity every season he is back.

Bruce has to be taking orders from somebody because if he was freely choosing to play Suter/Koivu roughly 1:30 of every PP and also using them in OT, he has lost his wits. If you want to completely bog down and muck up a PP, send out Suter.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He'll be back and we'll be going through the same mediocrity every season he is back.

Bruce has to be taking orders from somebody because if he was freely choosing to play Suter/Koivu roughly 1:30 of every PP and also using them in OT, he has lost his wits. If you want to completely bog down and muck up a PP, send out Suter.

Yeah, #1 on the team in PP points and tied for #6 in the entire league for defenseman (tied with Hedman; ahead of Subban, Doughty, Jones) really bogs it down.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah, #1 on the team in PP points and tied for #6 in the entire league for defenseman (tied with Hedman; ahead of Subban, Doughty, Jones) really bogs it down.

Came here to post exactly this. There is plenty to gripe with and the powerplay hasn't been great lately...but Suter is just fine at being the point guy.

The overall percentage probably fluctuates so much because of the severe lack of opportunities. Need to draw more penalties in the first place...or get more calls.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i do feel suter should have a few more goals (only 6) but he is an excellent quarterback and a stellar example for teammates. he rarely makes a mistake.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I haven't like the PP all season. They run the same setup as Tampa, but are too methodical for it to be effective on a shift by shift basis.

5 PP chances seem to end up going like this:
-score on 1 chance
-take a penalty to lose the PP advantage on 1 chance
-2 chances they can't get the zone and just place chase the puck up and down the ice.
-play hot potato 1 chance.

For as much as I've ragged on both Suter and Koivu on the PP at least they have some production. I have bigger issues with Coyle/Parise getting PP time and not producing:
-Coyle: 0g, 3a, 3p in 88 mins, 1:32 ToI (12th on the team, but he's the cutoff with the next highest player is at 0:42 ToI)
-Parise: 1g, 1a, 2p in 83 mins, 2:27 ToI (3rd for FWDs)
-To put it in perspective Ennis+Foligno have a combined 3g, 2a, 5p, 61 mins, 0:53 ToI.

Somehow Dumba doesn't have a PP goal this year yet Murphy and Mitchell do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad