Value of: Mini Rangers Firesale

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Indeed, New York fell victim to its draft position
I mean I wouldn’t go that far either. Kakko has been A LOT better this season. The problem is the Rangers are giving all their fans deja vu because Lafreniere is having the same rookie season that Kakko had last season. Kakko has been one the Rangers best three forwards this season for sure.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I mean I wouldn’t go that far either. Kakko has been A LOT better this season. The problem is the Rangers are giving all their fans deja vu because Lafreniere is having the same rookie season that Kakko had last season. Kakko has been one the Rangers best three forwards this season for sure.

It's not just the player quality its the position, NYR has an unbalanced roster that makes it look worse on the ice than it should according to talent. Imagine if they shifted some of their LW depth of Panarin/Kreider/Lafreniere (or RW depth of Kaakko/Buchnevich/Kravtsov) to C. Islanders are getting far more out of far less talent simply because they're super balanced line by line and position by position.

Also Quinn seems like the second of coming of Edmonton's Dallas Eakins but thats just me

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's not just the player quality its the position, NYR has an unbalanced roster that makes it look worse on the ice than it should according to talent. Imagine if they shifted some of their LW depth of Panarin/Kreider/Lafreniere (or RW depth of Kaakko/Buchnevich/Kravtsov) to C. Islanders are getting far more out of far less talent simply because they're super balanced line by line and position by position.

Also Quinn seems like the second of coming of Edmonton's Dallas Eakins but thats just me
Islanders get by because they have Trotz.

Wouldn’t have a problem shifting some stuff around, but it takes two to tango.

Quinn is also terrible.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Islanders get by because they have Trotz.

Wouldn’t have a problem shifting some stuff around, but it takes two to tango.

Quinn is also terrible.

Trotz makes it work but he got the exact players he needs to do it.

Barzal/Nelson/Pageau/Cizikias is arguably the best 1-2-3-4C balance in the league, if not in talent then in ability relative to role/deployment/ice time. Same deal with their wingers and defensemen. No franchise #1 but every one suited for the role they play. A lot of top heavy teams like Edmonton dominate half the game but then give away 15-20 minutes while well balanced team can push for all 60.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I would be interested in Trouba to the Flyers but that cap hit? What do you do and how do you do it?

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I am not sure Quinn is the problem but I also do no not think he is the solution..........I am not Rangers fan but I do like some of their talent and do not think a "fire sale " is needed .I think this kid Fox is solid player and and love some of their forwards. When the Bruins won the cup 2011 they had Chara not just for his on ice play but he brought a lot more to that team on and off the ice to a young but talented team .they also had Mark Recchi who was not the player he once was , but brought leadership and some guidance to that team. I believe someone like a Duncan Keith would be someone who has been a winner or Nick Forligno type might be the players they lack........please Iam not saying go out and get those two players but I think you might get what I am trying to say......Buffalo on the other hand should really take a hard look at what road they should take .

Reactions: wafflepadsave

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Our young studs (Laf, Kakko, Fox, K'Andre Lindgren, Chytil), big time prospects (Kravtsov, Lundkvist), Panarin and Igor are off-limits.

Names available:

Zibanejad
Buchnevich
Smith
Kreider
Trouba
Jack Johnson (form an orderly queue)
Strome
Howden
DeAngelo (obviously)
Georgiev

Where is B. Lemieux on this chart? He is a bit old to be a 'young stud', but also isnt so integral moving forward he is an untouchable by most standards.
His 3rd line aggression is something the Leafs would be interested in.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Where is B. Lemieux on this chart? He is a bit old to be a 'young stud', but also isnt so integral moving forward he is an untouchable by most standards.
His 3rd line aggression is something the Leafs would be interested in.

not available
thanks for asking tho

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Way too soon for a fire sale lol. I feel the rangers need to get rid of strome for whatever is the best offer they can get. Hopefully, chytil gets back in right where he left off so he can snag the 2c spot. This coming off-season they have cap room to get or trade for a defensively responsible 3c so they aren't forced to play zibanajad in every situation possible.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I meant I doubt that it will be possible to fit his salary under Flyers cap.
upload_2021-2-17_22-17-20.jpeg

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You won't get that much for him, he is a product of Panarin.

your assumption is false.
it suggests he is effective w/breadman, and ONLY breadman

the correct logic is more likely that if he is effective with breadman, and if that is not a one off [for which there is no reason to assume] than probability is he is, in somewhat analogous fashion, ballpark as productive with a guy who is ballpark Panarin.

Translation.
If he played w/a guy like Hoffman, a first rate sniper, while Hoffman < Panarin, and reasonable to expect Strome + Hoffman to not be as good as Strome + Panarin, it is still probable Strome is good w/.Hoffman.

The analogy likely applies in varying degrees to others.
He is not a finisher.
He is limited on what he can bring on his own.

But he IS a complementary F.
More likely better results w/better talent, so a waste on 4th line and pref 2nd to 3rd.

But he is mid 20s, enuf skill to play mid 6 regular mins, usually 2nd line, can pinch up or down on occasion.
And he is a righty shot pivot who can RW.

Setting aside covid cap exerting pressure on all salaries, he is not crazy overpriced, just nominally so, and only 2 yrs. So he is not a bargain but even if Rangers don't retain, he is good value.

If cap were not so restrictive, a lot more trades would be happening and he'd be gone by now.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Our young studs (Laf, Kakko, Fox, K'Andre Lindgren, Chytil), big time prospects (Kravtsov, Lundkvist), Panarin and Igor are off-limits.

Names available:

Zibanejad
Buchnevich
Smith
Kreider
Trouba
Jack Johnson (form an orderly queue)
Strome
Howden
DeAngelo (obviously)
Georgiev
Virtanen+Gaudette for Buchnevich

Reactions: RangersFan1994

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
your assumption is false.
it suggests he is effective w/breadman, and ONLY breadman

the correct logic is more likely that if he is effective with breadman, and if that is not a one off [for which there is no reason to assume] than probability is he is, in somewhat analogous fashion, ballpark as productive with a guy who is ballpark Panarin.

Translation.
If he played w/a guy like Hoffman, a first rate sniper, while Hoffman < Panarin, and reasonable to expect Strome + Hoffman to not be as good as Strome + Panarin, it is still probable Strome is good w/.Hoffman.

The analogy likely applies in varying degrees to others.
He is not a finisher.
He is limited on what he can bring on his own.

But he IS a complementary F.
More likely better results w/better talent, so a waste on 4th line and pref 2nd to 3rd.

But he is mid 20s, enuf skill to play mid 6 regular mins, usually 2nd line, can pinch up or down on occasion.
And he is a righty shot pivot who can RW.

Setting aside covid cap exerting pressure on all salaries, he is not crazy overpriced, just nominally so, and only 2 yrs. So he is not a bargain but even if Rangers don't retain, he is good value.

If cap were not so restrictive, a lot more trades would be happening and he'd be gone by now.
He has done better with Panarin than he did with either Tavares or McDavid. You are defining him as a player who will do okay when playing with a top tier player. No wonder he is being shopped.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Has nobody mentioned Zibanejad is listed with an NMC on Capfriendly?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He has done better with Panarin than he did with either Tavares or McDavid. You are defining him as a player who will do okay when playing with a top tier player. No wonder he is being shopped.

Disingenuous.
He is being shopped b'c Kravtsov is imminent and Barron likely next yr.
Hence he is superfluous.
THAT is why he is being shopped.
If a deal makes mo sense now, why wait?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Can you tell me how many minutes Ryan Strome played with Tavares after Strome's first full season?
Can you tell me how many minutes Ryan Strome played with McDavid?

Yes, Ryan strome plays better with better players, in this case Panarin. Although, 1 game sample, the line of Kakko, Strome, Lafreniere was on fire.

Reactions: bernmeister

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Has nobody mentioned Zibanejad is listed with an NMC on Capfriendly?
NYR aren't exactly on top of the food chain in the division. Unless he doesn't want to leave the city, I'm not sure he's the type that will put his foot down and not waive, if potentially going to a contending team. But you never know, it comes down to his decision, obviously.

Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad