[Millions] Cammy wants out?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I am saying what matters in the end is the return. Passing judgement on Feaster at this junction for a move that has not been made, a move that may not be made at all, is premature.

And just so its clear where I stand, I lean towards the idea that Feaster will mess this up. He has not yet, however.

Fair enough. Based on their recent history however, I don't believe the Flames brass deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Boy, I missed a lot of fun debate today. Regarding the O'Reilly debacle, it may or may not have been a mistake. Daly's word was taken as gospel, but in reality, the final decision would have been made after an appeal through some sort of legal process. Feaster believed he would win said process, and there was no real follow-up as far as I'm concerned. I still view that as a case of the media making a big deal out of it.

They clarified it in the season ticket holders meeting:

They tried to trade for O'Reilly multiple times but the price was too high. Eventually decided on the offer sheet. The Flames still maintain that their interpretation of the rules was correct even though it's different than the NHL's, and the Flames would have fought it legally had it gone through. Ken King admitted the Flames made an error in not getting clarification from the league prior to submitting it. The Flames know of at least six other teams who also submitted offer sheets - but O'Reilly chose the Flames over the other teams - who thought the rule was the same as the Flames thought. They also believe Colorado didn't understand the rule of they would've walked with the picks.

They were saved from a potentially messy situation by sheer luck/ignorance from all parties involved. But even then, bottom line is they screwed up by not getting clarification and they know it. And King admitted as much by saying not only did they fail to clarify with the league, but if Colorado had known about the rule, they would have taken the picks.

As for whether the Flames understanding of the Memorandum or the NHL's would have won out, in the short term, it was inconsequential. If the NHL held out that they were right, O'Reilly wasn't about to suit up for the Flames. They would have to figure out if he legally able to play and didn't have to go through waivers. And until the matter was decided, he wouldn't be helping the Flames out of 6th last in the league (which was their position when the offer sheet was made). And who knows how long that process would take; it's possible the matter would have to go through arbitration and that could takes weeks, if not months, all in a heavily condensed schedule.

The point of getting O'Reilly while giving up a first and third round pick was in the belief that his presence would help the team either make the playoffs, or at least not finish in the bottom five. But how much help would he have been sitting at home while the league and the Flames were deciding who was right? And even then, his presence on the Avalanche didn't exactly spur them on to excellence, unless greatness is defined by finishing second last in the league.

Is was a blunder, a colossal one at that, where the effects were mitigated only because the other party involved were as clueless as the Flames. But just because it was a case of no harm, no foul, it doesn't mean one can excuse the level of ignorance and sheer incompetence involved. That sets a terrible precedent moving forward and creates a black eye on the organization as a whole by making all of them look like inept fools.

Which is why the Flames desperately need to clean house. Not only will it help prevent future mistakes like these, but it will also remove the air of embarrassment that hangs around the organization, justified or not, in the eyes of the greater hockey world. Assuming of course, the new guys aren't worse than the old ones.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I was just reading in The Hockey News, they also stated that its rumored Feaster wants to move up. It was noted, that his list of untouchables is very small but it's likely he would use roster players in his attempt to do so.

As much as I would like to see it, I don't think we get into the top 4 to get Barkov. I think it's more likely that Featser packages our STL pick with a roster player for example to move up. If he can do that, he would probably be picking between 10-14 to make it worthwhile.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I was just reading in The Hockey News, they also stated that its rumored Feaster wants to move up. It was noted, that his list of untouchables is very small but it's likely he would use roster players in his attempt to do so.

As much as I would like to see it, I don't think we get into the top 4 to get Barkov. I think it's more likely that Featser packages our STL pick with a roster player for example to move up. If he can do that, he would probably be picking between 10-14 to make it worthwhile.

If he can get the 9th pick from the Devils for Cammy (they want to win now) and the Stl pick...

Id do it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If he can get the 9th pick from the Devils for Cammy (they want to win now) and the Stl pick...

Id do it.

Phoenix picks 12 and the Jets 13. Both those teams need top 6 forwards and especially in the Jets case who just missed out on the playoffs I think there could be a deal there. The Jets fans are desperate for the team to go out and get a player and bringing in a name like Cammalleri could be a fit. Also the Yotes have a real lack of forward depth, they may be interested in a guy like Tangs. If Shinkaruk, Domi or even Horvat are available at 12 or 13 and one of those teams would make the deal, then I'd do it.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Phoenix picks 12 and the Jets 13. Both those teams need top 6 forwards and especially in the Jets case who just missed out on the playoffs I think there could be a deal there. The Jets fans are desperate for the team to go out and get a player and bringing in a name like Cammalleri could be a fit. Also the Yotes have a real lack of forward depth, they may be interested in a guy like Tangs. If Shinkaruk, Domi or even Horvat are available at 12 or 13 and one of those teams would make the deal, then I'd do it.

One of them will be there at 13 I think.

If not, Ristolainen and Pulock will be there and I would not mind snagging a high-end D prospect.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
One of them will be there at 13 I think.

If not, Ristolainen and Pulock will be there and I would not mind snagging a high-end D prospect.

I think one will go top 10, and then one will go 11-12, so I agree I think one should be there. I'd be happy with either of those dman as well. Ristolainen may go top 10, but Pulock should be there foe sure. Wennberg is another name that intrigues me but for some reason I don't think he's on our radar.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think one will go top 10, and then one will go 11-12, so I agree I think one should be there. I'd be happy with either of those dman as well. Ristolainen may go top 10, but Pulock should be there foe sure. Wennberg is another name that intrigues me but for some reason I don't think he's on our radar.

Reminds me quite a bit of Bart.

I think hes just one of those guys who is way to early to take at 6, but will be gone long before 22nd. Maybe thats why we havent looked at him much.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008

So:

Cammalleri (3 million retained) and 28 to winnipeg for 13

and

Tanguay and 22 to coyotes for 12

Calgary picks 6, 12, 13

Profit??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad